OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Tue May 21, 2024 8:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:25 am 
King of the One-Liner

hammer wrote:
Hounsy wrote:
Where coming for you Habs.

No chance. Unlike the Habs the Leafs are still playing for pride and have a respected new coach.

down to one point. All the historical winning tradition is getting all up in your tanking's business.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:44 am 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

At least two mock drafts I've seen have the Habs taking Grigorenko. But I could see them taking a defenseman. Failing to get Yakupov, who do you see as the best fit for the Habs?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:39 am 
King of the One-Liner

An outsider so could be off base but I don't see the Habs as particularly stacked or completely lacking in any area so they should just go BPA.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:41 am 
2 Legit 2 Quit

Hounsy wrote:
hammer wrote:
Hounsy wrote:

No chance. Unlike the Habs the Leafs are still playing for pride and have a respected new coach.

down to one point. All the historical winning tradition is getting all up in your tanking's business.

Very frustrating. Also last night the Habs ill-timed winning ways kept Ottawa from overtaking Boston for the division lead which would have been nice. Looks like Habs are going to play themselves into a 6 or 7th pick instead of a top-3. :doh: :argh:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:24 pm 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

Av-merican wrote:
At least two mock drafts I've seen have the Habs taking Grigorenko. But I could see them taking a defenseman. Failing to get Yakupov, who do you see as the best fit for the Habs?

Trouba would be my guess for a D that the Habs would take. I mean, he is American.

Subban, Beaulieu, Tinordi, Emelin, Gorges/Markov still around, Diaz, Weber, Ellis... this is an organization stacked on D, IMO. If Markov can recover, the Habs have 3 legit top pairing D on their team right now in Subban, Markov, and Gorges. Subban has top 5 in the NHL potential. Beaulieu has top pairing potential. Tinordi, Ellis, and Emelin are top 4 potential guys, with Emelin basically there already. Diaz and Weber are competent third pair guys right now with maybe some upside beyond that.

The only potential top 6 forwards in the system are really limited to Leblanc, Kristo, and Gallagher, with Pacioretty the only potential or current offensive star on the team. None of Desharnais, Cole, Eller, or Plekanec can be seen in a high end category for offensive production. If they can nab an elite offensive talent up front they should do so. It is definitely the one area that will be needed the most.

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:27 pm 
2 Legit 2 Quit

saskhab wrote:
Av-merican wrote:

Trouba would be my guess for a D that the Habs would take. I mean, he is American.

Subban, Beaulieu, Tinordi, Emelin, Gorges/Markov still around, Diaz, Weber, Ellis... this is an organization stacked on D, IMO. If Markov can recover, the Habs have 3 legit top pairing D on their team right now in Subban, Markov, and Gorges. Subban has top 5 in the NHL potential. Beaulieu has top pairing potential. Tinordi, Ellis, and Emelin are top 4 potential guys, with Emelin basically there already. Diaz and Weber are competent third pair guys right now with maybe some upside beyond that.

The only potential top 6 forwards in the system are really limited to Leblanc, Kristo, and Gallagher, with Pacioretty the only potential or current offensive star on the team. None of Desharnais, Cole, Eller, or Plekanec can be seen in a high end category for offensive production. If they can nab an elite offensive talent up front they should do so. It is definitely the one area that will be needed the most.

Tinordi looks like he is going to be a beast I can't wait for him to make it to the NHL!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:14 pm 

hammer wrote:
Tinordi looks like he is going to be a beast I can't wait for him to make it to the NHL!

You never know how things will plan out, but imagine for a few seconds a Tinordi-Emelin pairing.

I apologize for the mess in your pants right now.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:35 pm 
2 Legit 2 Quit

saskhab wrote:
hammer wrote:

You never know how things will plan out, but imagine for a few seconds a Tinordi-Emelin pairing.

I apologize for the mess in your pants right now.

Love it. That pairing will give opposing forwards (especially Lucic and Marchand) a mess in a different part of their pants.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:23 am 

E.L. wrote:
I know dumping Gomez and Kaberle are priorities uno y dos, but how long before Renny Bork joins the conversation of pricey futility?

He's got size, a nose for the net, a reasonably good skater and isn't afraid of a little contact - and demonstrates none of those skills at any time. Makes me want to hand a blank cheque to Andrei Kostitsyn.

http://www.boucherscouting.com/2012/03/ ... ctive.html

Bourque is consistently one of the least involved Habs on the ice, and least successful. He's in the Blunden/Staubitz range for effectiveness.

The good news: when he's involved, he's better, and generally good. But he hasn't been motivated at all. Even the maligned 'lazy' Kostitsyn was significantly more involved than Bourque is.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:24 pm 
Big in Japan

Thus the reason why Bork'll be back, there's enough upside to warrant holding onto him for at least next season. Truth is he could be a bargain 30 goal man, although the chances of that are pretty slim.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:00 am 

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck- ... ccC4d7vLYF

Cap hits from a Gomez buyout, assuming for now there will be no amnesty period:

Quote:
2012-13: $3,523,810
2013-14: $4,523,810
2014-15: $1,666,667
2015-16: $1,666,667

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:58 am 

Yeah, that better not happen. Way too restrictive. $9m is how much salary he has remaining... it's not a great option but burying him in the minors is way more cost effective.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:00 am 
2 Legit 2 Quit

Hounsy wrote:
hammer wrote:
Hounsy wrote:

I take back what I said about the Leafs playing for pride!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:02 am 
2 Legit 2 Quit

saskhab wrote:
Yeah, that better not happen. Way too restrictive. $9m is how much salary he has remaining... it's not a great option but burying him in the minors is way more cost effective.

I actually think that is a fantastic option. Maybe riding the bus for a while will light a spark under his ass, and if not it would be fun to see him and Wade Redden playing against each other in some minor league barn somewhere.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:12 pm 

hammer wrote:
saskhab wrote:

I actually think that is a fantastic option. Maybe riding the bus for a while will light a spark under his ass, and if not it would be fun to see him and Wade Redden playing against each other in some minor league barn somewhere.

The move that would be best for both sides would be a penalty-free buyout. I'd prefer putting Gomez on re-entry waivers hoping for a claim than a buyout. On re-entry he can't block a transaction like he allegedly did this last offseason when the Islanders tried to acquire him.

Unfortunately, he's now damaged goods: shoulder, groin, concussion issues all in one year. It definitely played a role in him going from overpaid second line C to off the charts fourth liner in one season.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:27 pm 

Good Lord, Snow tried to trade for him and he blocked it!? The Isles can't get any breaks.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:23 am 
Big in Japan

After losing to the Flyboys over the weekend the Habs are officially out of the playoffs.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:00 am 
OTP Clown

They are doing a great job of tanking!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:12 am 

29th. We should be relegated. Absolutely embarassing.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:54 am 
OTP Clown

saskhab wrote:
29th. We should be relegated. Absolutely embarassing.

I'm glad they're doing it right. They are a much better team than their record indicates. Perhaps we can finally land a stud centre.

That and a scrappy coach.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next