OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Podcast reviews
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:12 pm 

Started following a bunch of podcasts in the last 6 months. Some really good stuff out there its like conservative radio for the left. Wondering if anyone else has fav's they'd like to share?

What a Hell of a Way to Die - Some left wing ex-military guys sounding off, in the latest he dumps on Seth Gorka

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/what-a-hell-of-a-way-to-die/id1174466127?mt=2

Post subject: Re: Podcast reviews
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:17 pm 

Guys we F****d

Two NY city female comedians started out by interviewing their ex's and one night stands about their sex and its moved onto a bunch of other sex related topics.

They're funny as hell and intent on ending slut shaming. Strange to hear a woman refer to herself as a "happy cum bucket" but somehow they make it work. Also really make feel like I'm very old and from a very different generation.

https://soundcloud.com/guyswefucked

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:20 pm 

Pod Save America.

3 Dems from the Obama Whitehouse teamed up to start their own little media organization. It's grown rapidly with I think 6 different podcasts but this one is still the best. Funny and deeply knowledgeable about Washington and I never miss a show.

https://crooked.com/podcast-series/pod-save-america/

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:16 am 
Old Man of the Post

Been listening to:

Five Thirty Eight - these guys are election nerds like we are hockey nerds; they talk modeling and election analytics

Trumpcast (Slate) - because I'm a glutton for punishment; this one also introduced me to -

Slow Burn - a podcast about the Watergate scandal; you might wonder how someone could have a podcast about a scandal that happened more than 40 years ago but I'm only on the first episode and I'm hooked... You'd probably enjoy this, Fogg.

NPR Politics podcast

Guys we Fucked - this one is ok; I find it too long most times and I lose interest about 30 minutes in...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:41 pm 

the Cunning Linguist wrote:

Slow Burn - a podcast about the Watergate scandal; you might wonder how someone could have a podcast about a scandal that happened more than 40 years ago but I'm only on the first episode and I'm hooked... You'd probably enjoy this, Fogg.

Holy crap, I'm 3 minutes into the first episode and already completely hooked. How they hell do they get away with confining someone in their hotel room then drugging her?

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2017/11/introducing-slow-burn-slates-new-podcast-about-watergate.html

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:17 pm 

Slate Whistlestop

Quote:
In this podcast for fans of presidential history, John Dickerson of Slate’s Political Gabfest revisits a moment from the American carnival of politics. Hear about the grand speeches, emergency strategies, baby kissing, and backstabbing that make each presidential cycle so fascinating. Part of the Panoply Network.

Really enjoying this one. Have wanted to start learning more about American history and this is great. Biggest take away is how incredibly nasty American politics is and has always been. How you people have managed to not have 10 civil wars is quite beyond me. And how can I like American's as much as I do and yet you have for a couple hundred years managed to consistently elect so many detestable people? And Canadian history is boring, and boring is a really, really good thing.

- I didn't realize the internal war in the Republican party between hard core conservatives and moderate conservatives has been going on since pretty much since the party was founded. Sometimes the party gets taken over by extremes then it swings back to the moderates. I missed Barry Goldwater and came of age with moderate Republicans and assumed that was normal and that Bannon and his ilk were something new, sadly they are not. Just a return to the old extremes
- For a non-secular government, religious folks have had a rather large influence on American politics for a long time.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:31 pm 

Great podcast discussing what's wrong with Wall Street. Think this one will be right up your alley Harmy.

https://crooked.com/podcast/wall-street-necessary-evil/

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:17 pm 

Canadaland

Jesse Brown hosts. What a great interviewer. Does detailed research and just slowly digs in and drills down on the people he interviews.

http://www.canadalandshow.com/

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:50 pm 

Slate's Slow Burn series is complete. Thanks for the tip TCL. Fantastic series, and can't believe how much of the political behavior of the Watergate era gives so much relevant context to Trump and Mueller investigation.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:29 pm 

Pod Save America has activist Wanda James. Wow, great speaker, I knew America's penal system was screwed up but never thought or considered that the war on drugs was about creating a legalized slave class. 10 years for 4 oz marijuana possession? Or do 4 years picking cotton to get your sentence reduced? Great podcast, well worth the listen.

https://crooked.com/podcast/government-eclipse-live-denver/

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 10:13 am 
King of Men

https://www.ted.com/talks/yuval_noah_ha ... d_power_it

A re-explanation on Nationalism and Fascism and how the digital age has ushered in a new era of Fascism.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:42 pm 

Really excellent interview of Nick Hanauer (uber rich billionaire who challenges conservative economic thinking) Can't recommend this enough if you want to understand macro-economics, and a lot of what is wrong with modern economic conservative narrative and the huge disparity in wealth in the USA.

Listen to the first 15 minutes, give it a chance and you'll probably be hooked for the rest of it.

Podcast #73 on Reasons to be Cheerful

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/rea ... 1287081706

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:22 pm 

So followed up on the podcast from above and listened to Pitchfork Economics podcasts (on itunes). If you ever want a series that will introduce you to basic economic theory and then pulls apart the lying false narratives of trickle down economics, or why higher minimum wage is bad or that corporations paying higher taxes is bad for the economy then this is the series, or why less regulation is good for the economy. They eviscerate every aspect of present day conservative neo-liberal economics.

One bit of data that shocked me was this: present median income in the USA for a middle class family is $59k, if it had kept up with inflation it would be $86k, but production has outpaced inflation, if the media value had kept up with production its $112k a year. That's how much money that middle class American's would be making if the wealthiest 0.1% hadn't been grabbing it all with assistance from the Dems and Republicans. f you Ronald Regan and your trickle down nonsense.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:13 am 

Crackdown. A podcast by drug user journalists bringing an understanding of the issue from the people who know the issues better than anyone. If you want something that is incredibly personally affecting, challenges your assumptions, or just an appreciation of really great journalism this is an amazing podcast.

Take away is its not that difficult to make reasonable changes that can make a huge difference in the lives of most drug users. Just politics driven by non-users prejudice stoked by the far right will continue to ensure thousands more die.

https://crackdownpod.com/podcast/1-war-correspondents/

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:23 am 

Excellent podcast on hockey corruption in Canada

https://www.canadalandshow.com/podcast/ ... -of-shame/

I've always thought American university athletics not paying athletes was pretty disgusting. Junior hockey is at every bit as bad, probably worse because the athletes are so young.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:23 pm 

Al Franken has a podcast. This cast is particularly good and really deserves a mention in Armegeddon thread. A conversation with Michael Lewis.

Quote:
Lewis takes us inside of three Cabinet agencies – Agriculture, Commerce, and Energy – and the incompetent, venal, and/or corrupt appointees who find their way into crucial positions within the federal government.

He talks about NOAA and attempts to prevent it from giving taxpayer money to the public and only giving it to weather services so they can sell it back to the taxpayers who paid for it. Really funny since the podcast happened two months before Sharpiegate.

https://alfranken.com/listen/a-conversa ... hael-lewis

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:48 pm 

For anyone who doesn't like economics but would like to understand the history of politics and social inequality this podcast in one hour dissects and refutes the neo-liberal economic narrative of the last 50 years and its dominant influence in shaping society. No numbers, just common sense ideas explaining how we've gone so wrong and why the rich are so heavily invested in this paradigm and making it continue.

http://www.pitchforkeconomics.com/episo ... appelbaum/

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 2:33 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

I'm currently listening to the following pods while the quarantine continues:

Artifexian - This is about as nerdy as it gets. Two Irish gents talk about worldbuilding. They're pretty fun, and they sometimes stray into real-world stuff as well, whether it's politics, flag or currency reviews, or talking about language. I can't imagine anyone here would be interested in stuff like that, but it's fascinating to someone like me.

Three Point Perspective - Three professional illustrators talk about various aspects of commercial art. Again, I can't see this appealing to anyone in here other than me.

Office Ladies - I never, ever thought I'd listen to a TV show rewatch podcast, but here we are. I'm also watching each episode prior to listening. I won't go into details, if you liked the show, then you'd like this. I remember watching the first few seasons and then dropping off after I met my wife in '07, so it'll be fun to watch the ones I missed. I apparently have until the end of the year to see it before they take The Office off of Netflix.

In terms of sports I'm trying to keep up with the usual, 31 Thoughts, Locked on Avalanche, etc., but it's kinda depressing to listen to people talk about sports when there's no sports happening, and we really don't know when they'll happen again.

I love that everyone else has some pretty smart, heady stuff on their podcast playlist, and mine are as frivolous and dumb (but fun!) as all get out. :laugh:

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 3:39 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

I never listen to podcasts. Not sure why. But skateboarder Mike V has one now, https://www.fatherdaughterpodcast.com/
Mike V is one of the coolest people I've ever had the pleasure of meeting, so I'll check it out.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 6:01 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Wife was listening to "Ologies" which is a lady who seeks out different experts in different fields ( -ologists ) and interviews them. I listened to the one where she talked to a vulcanologist and it was good. She also listened to a serialized examination of the rise and fall of corporate con artist Elizabeth Holmes and her company, Theranos. It's too bad we always do biopics of all these horrible people.

I wonder about the podcast drama. I'm a huge old-time radio buff so you'd think something like that would be right up my alley, but nothing so far has stood out.