OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Montreal Force
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2022 10:52 am 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

The PHF’s newest team gets its name and logo.

https://twitter.com/theicegarden/status ... HEh6qmmejg

Meh.

Post subject: Re: Montreal Force
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2022 6:52 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Meh? I think those jerseys and logo are awesome! The F with the half flour de lis? Okay, The Force is kind of meh but the logo, colors… A plus from me.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 12:59 am 

The logo I'll admit I kinda like. The name? Meh.

Apart from the Riveters (and they managed to ruin that one too) I have yet to be wowed by a NWHL/PHF uniform name and design.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 12:10 pm 

Agreed.
The White Caps name and logo to me are just weird. When I think white caps, I think waves on the ocean (or huge lake), not snowy mountain tops. The logo clarifies that, but to me it's still weird. I like the use of the stylized mountains to write W & C, but it's still not a pro level design.

The Beauts? Lame name and logo/uniform.

The Pride? Boring name, although I get what they were going for. The logo is just not pro level, again. And if it's pride, there should be a few lionesses, not just one.

Ct Whale- again, I get that they were going for a connection to the beloved Whalers with the name/logo and colors, but the logo just falls way short. Although I have liked a few of their uniforms with the wave running through the bottom stripe, etc. And I've always loved that color scheme.

The Riveters- I like it a lot. Name and logo. Some of the jerseys have looked great with the stars, etc.

The 6? Incredibly lame name. Logo is kind of cool, but the name is so dumb it just doesn't work no matter what they do with the logo.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 3:12 pm 

Chris18 wrote:
Agreed.
The White Caps name and logo to me are just weird. When I think white caps, I think waves on the ocean (or huge lake), not snowy mountain tops. The logo clarifies that, but to me it's still weird. I like the use of the stylized mountains to write W & C, but it's still not a pro level design.

The Beauts? Lame name and logo/uniform.

The Pride? Boring name, although I get what they were going for. The logo is just not pro level, again. And if it's pride, there should be a few lionesses, not just one.

Ct Whale- again, I get that they were going for a connection to the beloved Whalers with the name/logo and colors, but the logo just falls way short. Although I have liked a few of their uniforms with the wave running through the bottom stripe, etc. And I've always loved that color scheme.

The Riveters- I like it a lot. Name and logo. Some of the jerseys have looked great with the stars, etc.

The 6? Incredibly lame name. Logo is kind of cool, but the name is so dumb it just doesn't work no matter what they do with the logo.

The 6 almost works, it's nice that it's both a reference to Toronto AND the number of players on the ice for a hockey team, but...I dunno, just doesn't quite work for me. The Toronto Furies of the CWHL had a much cooler name and logo.

Riveters was really cool, though they fucked it up when they moved to Jersey, and then REALLY fucked it up when they "modernized" the logo. Um, yeah, you can't "modernize" that one. The original logo was a perfect homage to the iconic "We Can Do It!" image, this new one isn't an homage to anything.

I will say though that their third jersey that had RIVS on the front of it actually worked. Usually I can't stand it when teams put their nickname on the front, but they did it right just this once.

Anyway, there's a lot to dislike about the PHF and the state of women's hockey in general, but I suppose it's cool that Montreal once again has a women's pro hockey team. The Fabs will still be missed I'm sure though.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2022 7:13 am 

Agreed about the PHF in general. I can't believe the NHL still hasn't stepped in to support the league. For all their chatter about hockey being for everyone, they sure haven't put their money where their slogans are.

I also just don't want more expansion because I figure the Whale have a better shot at winning it all if there are fewer teams. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2022 12:38 pm 

Chris18 wrote:
Agreed about the PHF in general. I can't believe the NHL still hasn't stepped in to support the league. For all their chatter about hockey being for everyone, they sure haven't put their money where their slogans are.

I also just don't want more expansion because I figure the Whale have a better shot at winning it all if there are fewer teams. :lol:

Well I don’t entirely blame the NHL for not stepping in since negotiations between the PHF and PWHPA collapsed. There’s apparently some real questions as to where the PHF is getting their money from, among other things. Just a sad situation.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2022 8:23 pm 

I just find the NHL to be throwing around too many excuses. At first they said they didn't want to get in the middle of the CWHL vs the NWHL. Then the CWHL folded and the NWHL were like "hey NHL, what's up now?" and the NHL ghosted them. Then the PWHPA started up due to rifts with the NWHL and the NHL went back to saying they couldn't choose one women's league... Just fucking say it's too risky a business venture at this time, or stop saying hockey is for everyone. Hockey is for everyone who can afford it or who can help the NHL profit.