OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:10 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Lou is usually pretty good about getting his guys signed unless ownership trips him up. Lee and Eberle should be back. Not sure if Brock Nelson should be though.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:30 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Pokecheque wrote:
Lou is usually pretty good about getting his guys signed unless ownership trips him up. Lee and Eberle should be back. Not sure if Brock Nelson should be though.

Nelson is very streaky, like lots of goal scorers. I've probably ranted about him in the past. He's actually played the D side of the puck under Trotz, which has made him far more valuable. So I think he'd be better for the Isles than other teams. But that doesn't mean he won't test free agency to see what kind of offers he gets. Isles have a lot to think about with their signings because they have quite a few RFAs coming up in the next 2 years: Pulock, Beauvillier, Barzal, Toews.

I haven't mentioned this, but the Sound Tigers made the playoffs this year too. They hadn't been in for a long time. Finished in 2nd place, so they'll have home ice in their first round. The hadn't made the playoffs in quite a few years, so this is a hell of a turnaround year for the Isles' org.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:28 am 
OTP Historian

Chris18 wrote:
E.L. wrote:
Go Isles! One more!

Eberle is gonna get PAID this offseason.

I was saying late in the season that I wished they'd re-signed him. Now it's gonna cost way more. But I still hope they bring him back. He has openly said he wants to avenge his 2 assist playoff performance in Edmonton, and show that he can perform on the big stage. 3 goals in 3 games, plus 2 assists.

Much like the one Edmonton playoff you mention wouldn't kill what he would have been paid, you shouldn't pay a guy way more because of one playoff, and hope that the Isles don't. There are tons of examples of bad contracts.

Eberle is just about 29 and 19-18-37 this year. He was never really a driver in Edmonton, that was Hall. Averaging less than 17 minutes a game for the past 3 seasons. We know what Pierre Maguire would pay him. What are teams willing to go to? Is he going to get more than his existing 6x6?

3-0. Wow, Isles. Nice work!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:53 pm 

Is it true Sid the Kid doesn't have a point in this series!? That's craziness.

Also, putting Jack effing Johnson on Barzal is like trying to tail a souped-up roadster with a beat-up 1981 Datsun Hatchback. Not gonna work. Also not working is Matt Murray letting in some real softies. Maybe they needed Fleury after all.

I simply can't see Sullivan surviving this one. He's alienated more than a few players, apparently he's a pretty abrasive guy. You would think a guy with back-to-back Stanley Cups would be in great shape but I ain't gettin' that vibe in Pittsburgh.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:52 pm 
Big in Japan

Isles complete the sweep!

Wow Jack Johnson and Erik Gudbranson are not good.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:27 am 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

E.L. wrote:
Isles complete the sweep!

Wow Jack Johnson and Erik Gudbranson are not good.
Guddy has been getting a lot of press for turning things around in Pittsburgh after the Pearson trade, but had a feeling it would be temporary. You can't win with a D like that.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:07 am 

Bosc- for whatever reason, Trotz separated last year's very successful line of Beauvillier-Barzal-Eberle for almost all of this year. When the offense totally disappeared, he at least put Barzal-Eberle back together. Barzal said the 2 instantly agreed they'd make it so he can't separate them. They've been awesome, and one of the biggest goals of the series was by Eberle- when he was on in Lee's place with Barzal-Eberle.

Av- Crosby finished the series with 1 assist- on their lone goal in Game 4.

This is some crazy shit right here-
Penguins time with a lead during the 4 games- 4:51.
Penguins time with their goalie pulled- 5:55.

It's funny. In past years when the Isles had a lead I would sit on the edge of my seat, wondering how they'd give it away. Now, when they let up a goal in the opening minute I stay sitting back, knowing they'll come back soon. When they have a lead, I sit back, knowing they'll keep it. Amazing what real coaches and structure can do for a team!

Isles are on to Round 2. Trotz was asked after the game what his reaction would be if someone told him prior to the season that they'd sweep the Penguins in Round 1. "Sign me up". Lehner was asked if the players thought beforehand that it was possible for the Isles to sweep the Pens- "Yeah. Absolutely." Said with no pause. Martin was asked something similar, and he said something about how the Isles knew what all the "experts" were saying about them before the season, how they stuck by their opinions of the Isles through the season, nobody picked them to win this series, etc. Said the players are all out to prove everyone wrong.

Big things from Game 4- Clutterbuck and Boychuk both left late in the 2nd period and didn't return. Boychuk blocked a shot. Looked like it hit his left knee. No idea what happened to Clutterbuck.
Scott Mayfield made two game saving, well, saves late in the third period. Lehner wasn't sure where the puck was and was looking left while the puck went right- and to a wide open Penguin. Mayfield got his right leg out to block the initial shot and rebound and cleared it to the corner. Lehner was laughing and gave him a high five afterward.
Hornqvist tried to fight Lehner at one point. Isles went on a breakaway (Komarov) and Hornqvist stayed behind the play, jabbing Lehner in the chest with his stick, then punching him with his gloves on, Lehner gave a slash to his chest, and then Hornqvist dropped his fucking gloves and went at Lehner. The ref blew the whistle (ending Komarov's breakaway chance) and jumped between Lehner and Hornqvist. In the handshake line, Hornqvist looked like he was apologizing and Lehner gave him the "you're a douche bag, but it's fine. Have fun golfing" pat on the shoulder and nod.

Matt Murray looked like shit before the game. They showed him getting ready. Had triple bags under his eyes. Like he hadn't slept in a month.

Now, I hope the Caps and Canes beat the living shit out of each other through 4 more games, all of which go to at least 4 OTs. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:12 am 
OTP Historian

Chris18 wrote:
Bosc- for whatever reason, Trotz separated last year's very successful line of Beauvillier-Barzal-Eberle for almost all of this year. When the offense totally disappeared, he at least put Barzal-Eberle back together. Barzal said the 2 instantly agreed they'd make it so he can't separate them. They've been awesome, and one of the biggest goals of the series was by Eberle- when he was on in Lee's place with Barzal-Eberle.

Av- Crosby finished the series with 1 assist- on their lone goal in Game 4.

This is some crazy shit right here-
Penguins time with a lead during the 4 games- 4:51.
Penguins time with their goalie pulled- 5:55.

That is complete dominance. Nice work, Isles.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:35 am 
King of Men

Pittsburgh D is f'n terrible....i thought Dumoulin was terrible earlier this year but he seems to be consistently bad. Pittsburgh window is definitely closing and Syd is winding down.

I enjoyed watching this series and I hope the Isles can go far.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:47 am 
King of the One-Liner

Letang was playing really bad every time I peeked in on these games and Islanders where skating the Pens into the ground. Funny Jackets also skated Tampa into the ground. It's not enough to have speed you need to still deploy it right.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:37 pm 

I remembered during the day that Clutterbuck took a nasty slash to the hand AND got hit in the hand with the puck on the same shift. He went to the room for a while, returned, and went back to the room without taking a shift. But then reporters said he was seen walking to the bus VERY slowly. Groin?

At least he's got some time to rest/heal! I still can't believe they swept someone. Anyone. I keep checking to see if the league called back a goal or something. "After 18 hours of review, we realized this was the Islanders scoring, not the Penguins. The goal is disallowed because, well, it's the Islanders and their deal with Lucifer for the dynasty years hasn't yet expired."

Funny part of last night's game- At one point Brendan Burke said the Isles could use Butch Goring on the ice (I forget why). Goring replied "you know I could come out of retirement now. My number is available again!" :lol:

Fans are starting a petition to get the rest of the games moved to the Coliseum. This whole thing is hysterical. For like 15 years everyone on the planet bitched about what a shit hole the Coliseum was. It was too small, not enough bathrooms, concourse was so small it was dangerous to exit, not enough concession stands............... They gave it a facelift, meaning putting new paneling over the old walls, making the place EVEN SMALLER, lost like 3k seats, and now everyone thinks it's the greatest fucking place on the planet and fans want them back there full time. Oh- and they now have rolling concession carts in the concourse, which take up EVEN MORE OF THE SMALL CONCOURSE, but that's cool, because fuck a fast/safe exit if you can get a beer faster! Gotta love people.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:57 pm 

Rutherford thought a blueline corps sporting Gudbranson and Jack Johnson was Stanley Cup-caliber.

I'm guessing the ongoing fight between Sullivan and Kessel will come to a head, but it's possible that both guys won't be in the organization next season.

Can't help but think Rutherford is in serious trouble. Sooner or later Bill Guerin is gonna get a shot in someone's front office. It's possible Mario will just give him the gig now. He's shown in the past he's not afraid to shake things up if he doesn't like the direction the organization is going.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:35 am 

Pokecheque wrote:
Rutherford thought a blueline corps sporting Gudbranson and Jack Johnson was Stanley Cup-caliber.

I'm guessing the ongoing fight between Sullivan and Kessel will come to a head, but it's possible that both guys won't be in the organization next season.

Can't help but think Rutherford is in serious trouble. Sooner or later Bill Guerin is gonna get a shot in someone's front office. It's possible Mario will just give him the gig now. He's shown in the past he's not afraid to shake things up if he doesn't like the direction the organization is going.

I've read lots from fans wanting Sullivan and Malkin gone. Not sure what Malkin did to deserve the ire. He at least had 1 goal in the series and that was after just returning from injury. Crosby had 0, and was fully healthy. But they don't call for his head. Haven't heard much about Kessel either.
Some fans are blaming Rutherford, but more say Sullivan is at fault, because he "got out-coached and failed to inspire the team", are the common complaints.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:45 am 
Big in Japan

I thought their big deadline deal for Bjugstad and McCann was a whole lot of nothing, but I've been told Big Nick Energy's strong overall play goes beyond the scoresheet.

I don't know what happened to Dumoulin and Maatta, but they went from top-4's to liabilities. I assume they're injured.

Dealing Kessel for younger parts has always been Rutherford's last card to play. Guessing he plays it now and abdicates for Guerin not long after. Phil to Glendale has had some traction in the past, maybe for Galchenyuk+?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:33 pm 

Phil the Thrill is heading to Arizona. Book it. Tocchet is gonna push for it and Chayka never walks away from an opportunity to make a deal. Based on the comments Kessel made after the series ended, he sounds very ready to move on. Either he goes, or Sullivan does. That relationship has become untenable.

Read an article in The Athletic praising Gudbranson as the best player for the Pens in this series. That pretty much tells you all you need to know. That blueline corps is just...not good. Injuries and age have really taken a toll on Letang, and beyond that you don't have a lot except maybe Dumolin.

I still wouldn't rule out the possibility of a coaching and/or managerial shakeup this offseason, but the back-to-back Cup wins may have given them more time. But if they stumble again the following season, everyone's gone for sure.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:04 am 

Here's a good stats nerd explanation of the series, which includes some info on Pens' injuries. https://www.lighthousehockey.com/2019/4/18/18485690/new-york-islanders-pittsburgh-penguins-playoffs-sweep-review

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:38 am 
Big in Japan

Series was a bit of a coming out party for Lee, Nelson and Bailey, at least for people like me who don't watch the Isles with any frequency. Long considered NSync sidemen to JT's...umm...JT, they're no slouches themselves and can lead a team to victory.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:29 am 

Poor Johnny Boychuk, dude just cannot stay healthy now that he's crossed the mid-thirties mark. His ascension as a legit NHL defenseman will forever be a black mark on the Avalanche organization and Joel Quenneville.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:07 pm 

Point directed to our prior discussion. Can a coach/organization set back the development of a player a year or two? As a 23/24 year old he had nearly .5 points a game on the farm team. How does a defencemen like that not get brought up to the Avalanche?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:20 pm 

Fogghorn wrote:
Point directed to our prior discussion. Can a coach/organization set back the development of a player a year or two? As a 23/24 year old he had nearly .5 points a game on the farm team. How does a defencemen like that not get brought up to the Avalanche?

Oh they can absolutely hold a player back (and conversely, if they are good, they can speed that development up a bit) and the Avs organization has been infamous for botching drafting and development for roughly a decade. The story with Boychuk, a kid who was so excited and happy to be drafted by the Avs he didn't want to give up the jersey they gave him, was that he was developing, but not at a pace fast enough for the Avs' liking. They're STILL notoriously impatient with prospects...if you don't start showing huge signs by the end of your ELC, you're done. Quenneville seemed especially sour on the guy, playing him as a forward in preseason contests. I think they just saw a marginal bottom-pairing guy. Management promptly dealt him for the most overrated player in NHL history, Matt Hendricks. I'm sure Oilers management still thinks that was a tremendous deal. :laugh:

I love Quenneville, but that wasn't the first or even worst bad call he made in his short stint in Colorado. Dude is human, it's just too bad management at the time was too weak-willed and/or incompetent to make a more informed decision.

I think the prime example in recent memory of completely botching a player's development was Manny Malhotra in New York. The Rangers drafted him and then rushed him to the big show way, way too soon, and while he never became an actual star, he did develop into a premier defensive forward, and it kinda took a good long while for that to happen, but it did. It's a shame that horrific eye injury effectively ended his career.

And not to derail the conversation further, let's talk Islanders. Josh Bailey has ended up being a very good top line winger, but they rushed him into the pros way too soon, and he battled through some sub-par seasons, but the talent and hockey sense that was always there won out in the end. But I think he would've realized his potential much sooner had the Isles handled him more competently.