OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 196 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
 Post subject: Re: 2019 MLB Thread
PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:10 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Huh. The NL West race is gonna be so much fun :jerkbag:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:12 pm 
Big in Japan

Pokecheque wrote:
Huh. The NL West race is gonna be so much fun :jerkbag:

You and I are definitely in the worst spots, but the way I have to see for my sanity, any short-term moves made by the Dodgers, Diamondbacks and Padres are ultimately good for the Giants long-term.

If the Dodgers can't win the Series and Betts walks, perfect. Giants have two years to get their act together, and I think they will.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:17 pm 

E.L. wrote:
You and I are definitely in the worst spots, but the way I have to see for my sanity, any short-term moves made by the Dodgers, Diamondbacks and Padres are ultimately good for the Giants long-term.

If the Dodgers can't win the Series and Betts walks, perfect. Giants have two years to get their act together, and I think they will.

Meanwhile in Colorado, the best player in franchise history is going into the season having blasted management to kingdom come after an offseason where his name kept coming up in trade talks, and said management did LITERALLY NOTHING to improve the roster.

Rockies have had over twenty fucking years to get their act together. I don't think they ever will.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:27 pm 
Big in Japan

Pokecheque wrote:
E.L. wrote:

Meanwhile in Colorado, the best player in franchise history is going into the season having blasted management to kingdom come after an offseason where his name kept coming up in trade talks, and said management did LITERALLY NOTHING to improve the roster.

Rockies have had over twenty fucking years to get their act together. I don't think they ever will.

Rockies are an ownership issue. Only one way to fix that...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:40 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Rockies are an ownership issue. Only one way to fix that...

Yep. Sucks.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:33 pm 
Big in Japan

Meanwhile, I don't hate year two of the Zaidi rebuild in San Francisco. He inherited a tapped out veteran roster, and in one year has added Yastrzemski, Dubon, Dickerson, Flores, Davis, Solano, Sanchez to the mix. The pitching staff is piecemeal, but Gausman and Smyly are two oft-injured guys with potential. If they start strong, he can flip them for something significant. Fans are whining about Pillar getting dumped, but Yaz was the better find, and he's dirt cheap the next three seasons.

I think the Giants will add a couple more upside guys when other teams start making their spring cuts.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:50 pm 
OTP Historian

E.L. wrote:
Meanwhile, I don't hate year two of the Zaidi rebuild in San Francisco. He inherited a tapped out veteran roster, and in one year has added Yastrzemski, Dubon, Dickerson, Flores, Davis, Solano, Sanchez to the mix. The pitching staff is piecemeal, but Gausman and Smyly are two oft-injured guys with potential. If they start strong, he can flip them for something significant. Fans are whining about Pillar getting dumped, but Yaz was the better find, and he's dirt cheap the next three seasons.

I think the Giants will add a couple more upside guys when other teams start making their spring cuts.

Homophobic slur aside it's hard not to like Pillar, but the offense will be what it is or worse and both his defense and age(31) are trending in the wrong direction. Maybe you keep him around as a mentor in a rebuild but you don't keep him if you have a better option.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:14 pm 
Big in Japan

Bosc wrote:
E.L. wrote:

Homophobic slur aside it's hard not to like Pillar, but the offense will be what it is or worse and both his defense and age(31) are trending in the wrong direction. Maybe you keep him around as a mentor in a rebuild but you don't keep him if you have a better option.

Only reason people want Pillar back: recency bias. He was amazing in August but pretty much a black hole the rest of the time.

OPS by month: 613, 566, 845, 639, 1018 (August), 647

Unplayable in April, May, July and September.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:00 pm 
OTP Historian

E.L. wrote:
Bosc wrote:
E.L. wrote:

Only reason people want Pillar back: recency bias. He was amazing in August but pretty much a black hole the rest of the time.

OPS by month: 613, 566, 845, 639, 1018 (August), 647

Unplayable in April, May, July and September.

Yeah he does that sometimes. One month on the Jays, might have been at the beginning of the season, he walked like crazy. Was not sustainable.

And as fun as it is, I don't think his defense is either and the trend has borne that out. Guy is tough as nails but his body can't take that beating forever.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:19 pm 
Big in Japan

Pillar also comes across as a bit of an intractable guy. He needs to play everyday and it has to be in CF, and he's just not consistent enough to warrant that trust. He's actually quite effective against lefties and could work as a bench piece, but I don't think he's ready to accept that role.

I'd rather the Giants have five outfielders they can rotate based on match up.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:52 pm 
OTP Historian

E.L. wrote:
Pillar also comes across as a bit of an intractable guy. He needs to play everyday and it has to be in CF, and he's just not consistent enough to warrant that trust. He's actually quite effective against lefties and could work as a bench piece, but I don't think he's ready to accept that role.

I'd rather the Giants have five outfielders they can rotate based on match up.

That role as a bench piece/platoon for a contender who can afford him was what I had in mind too. Might also be on the expensive side too to fill that role. As a guy who was such a late pick and battled his way to a MLB career, like you said not sure he'd be willing to accept that kind of role at only 31.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:57 pm 

Great utility guy in Colorado by the name of Ian Desmond. Jays should trade for him immediately.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:02 pm 
Big in Japan

And now the Giants have brought back Hunter Pence to go along with Pablo Sandoval. Platoons platoons platoons.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:38 am 
Big in Japan

The commissioner is now on board the plan of having Montreal and Tampa Bay share the Rays starting in 2028: https://www.tampabay.com/sports/rays/20 ... t-in-2020/

Bronfman: "Honestly, am I 100 percent sure this is going to happen? I’m 100 percent sure that we’re trying our darnedest to make it happen."

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:55 am 
King of Men

I think I'll go with JD on this one....

:(

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:01 am 
Big in Japan

harmfuljays wrote:
I think I'll go with JD on this one....

:(

The irony being had JDM opted out of his deal, the Sox would've let him walk and they would've gone under the salary tax line, meaning they might've kept Betts.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 196 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10