OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 234 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:23 pm 

I'm not opposed to moving Markstrom at all if its a mid 1st rounder, but don't think the goalie market will be that high. I do think Demko is probably quite capable of stepping in as #1 at this point. I don't think we can keep both with Seattle expansion anyways so right now is the best time to move him.

And I don't think this team is ready to go far in the playoffs, when Hughes is on the ice they're a top 5 team, when he's not they're a 20th place team at best. The drop off is just immense, to me that #2 dman spot is the gap they need to fill before they can go deep and if trading Markstrom helps with that then get it done.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:52 am 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Pokecheque wrote:
Can't believe I'm saying this but...no. Don't do that. You're not going to get a ton in return for Markstrom as a deadline rental, certainly not enough to justify torpedoing a legit run for the postseason. Cannot believe I am actually endorsing Benning and Aquilini's hare-brained notions but they should stay the course. So what if you lose a good backup goalie for nothing. Get another one and go with Demko after this.
Agree. Keep Markstrom, stay the course. There's no real upside in doing otherwise at this point and there's always DiPietro in the offing.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:05 am 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Petey is just...insane.

Also, just bring back the damn skate jerseys full time. They look fantastic.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:29 am 

Pokecheque wrote:
Petey is just...insane.

and as good as he is, I'm beginning to believe he's only the 2nd best player on the team.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:49 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Fogghorn wrote:
and as good as he is, I'm beginning to believe he's only the 2nd best player on the team.

That may well be true. I've always believed the easiest (not the only) path to building a true contender is to get an elite franchise center and an elite franchise defender. The Canucks have both now. They also appear to have legit scoring wingers in Boeser and (I still think he's a dunderhead though) Shotgun Jake. Now if Jimmy Boy can find a way to solidify goaltending long-term and quit overspending on aging grinder-types, he may be onto something.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:39 pm 

An interesting goaltending negotiation is playing out in Vancouver. The Canucks are in a cap crunch due to some well documented careless signings (Eriksson, Beagle, Sutter, Myers). They need to do better and chart a cap course for future Hughes and Petey signings who now are on ELC's. Which brings us to Markstrom.

1. If you don't offer Markstrom term (4 or 5 years), he's likely to explore free agency which isn't ideal for the Canucks, because the way he's been playing, dude's gonna get term and paid and likely picked up by a Pacific Division rival.

2. But what if he remains unsigned and gets lucky, then goes on a run and wins 2 playoff rounds (unlikely). Then the Canucks are hooped. Since he's unproven as a playoff starter -- should he soil the playoff bed, then he loses money.

3. There seems incentive on both sides to get a deal done now. Thatcher Demko has played 28 NHL games and is by and large an unproven starter, so the pressure remains clearly more on the Canucks shoulders.

4. There is also the expansion draft to consider. It's easy to imagine a scenario whereby the Canucks can reduce the odds of losing a goaltender in the draft if they give Markstrom less money over a longer term, leaving him unprotected, but potentially a less attractive pick.

It should be noted that Markstrom has a pretty good deal in Vancouver and likes to play there - and it can't be overstated how much Ian Clark has helped his game get to the next level. At age 30 he's only been playing starter level hockey for 2 seasons but suffice to say he's clearly established himself as a starting netminder.

Personally, I think the Canucks should get creative with Markstrom's contract offer and try to keep both goalies under contract at least in the short term, which is when their playoff window opens up. But given Benning's track record to FA contracts and Weisbrod's opaque and often vapid understanding of player negotiation, they will likely screw it up.

Last edited by Logical Progression on Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:14 pm 

1. If they sign Markstrom, they can't sign Tanev.
2. DiPietro looks like a solid prospect to make the NHL.
3. No way the team can keep both Markstrom and Demko through expansion

I'd gamble and my thoughts as to why.

Although neither DiPietro or Demko are proven, their accomplishments are indicative they can and will be NHL starters. With those two bets in place I'd realistically expect one of them to turn out to be at least an average NHL starter. If there was only one of them I'd be much less likely to gamble on moving Markstrom.

With Pettersson and Hughes they have the 2 elite pieces that I think SC winners require. Now they have to let them mature a couple years and fill in their supporting cast. It seems to me that they need to significantly upgrade the winger playing with Horvat (Eriksson or Leivo won't cut it.)

The more important and harder hole to fill is their #2 dman spot. The drop off to Tanev, Myers, Edler is huge, and they're all on the downhill side of their careers, within two years there needs to be a much better replacement. A presently RH 22-26 years of age dman is required.

If moving Markstrom helps the Canuck's to secure either of these two players or a mid 1st round pick I'd do it (deep, deep draft this year). It really does depend on the offer though.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:45 pm 

And one more thought about Markstrom.

I've become more and more amazed with Hughes as the season goes on. Consider him the teams MVP, should win the Calder and realistically a future top 5 dman in the league. It's crazy to think him and Pettersson are both 20 and give every early indication that if they stay health can be future Hockey Hall of Famers. The core of a team that can challenge for a Stanley Cup from 2022 to 2032.

I can't think of any recent teams that had a young centre, dman combo like this allowing them a 10 year window to compete for the SC if managed right. To keep the window open that long, they can't think in terms of this year, or even 3-4 year window and sell off picks and prospects for vets. They'll need to keep pretty much all of them to keep their salary cap low. That's going to mean trading free agents for prospects and keeping the prospect pipeline full. Playing the long game and resisting temptation to win now. And must do one thing Benning has not shown himself capable of. Not loading up long term contracts on 30+ year old players.

So Markstrom is nice to keep now, but 3-5 years out not good. This is exactly the kind of tough decision the team will need to make for the next 12 years If Hughes, Pettersson develop as expected we could be in for a Detroit, Boston, San Jose kind of run of being a contender every year for a decade. (I'm getting a semi as I type this) :P

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:17 pm 

Fogghorn wrote:

The more important and harder hole to fill is their #2 dman spot. The drop off to Tanev, Myers, Edler is huge, and they're all on the downhill side of their careers, within two years there needs to be a much better replacement. A presently RH 22-26 years of age dman is required.

If moving Markstrom helps the Canuck's to secure either of these two players or a mid 1st round pick I'd do it (deep, deep draft this year). It really does depend on the offer though.
Yep, but on this line of reasoning, they really shouldn't be looking to sign either Tanev or Markstrom. Question now here is -- where on earth could they possibly find an elite #2 dman? And we are still looking at the future, then if merely making the playoffs is enough for this season, they really ought to be sellers at the deadline, which won't happen in a million years. They will over pay for Markstrom and try to re-sign Tanev and kick the cap can down the road.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:27 pm 

Fogghorn wrote:
So Markstrom is nice to keep now, but 3-5 years out not good. This is exactly the kind of tough decision the team will need to make for the next 12 years If Hughes, Pettersson develop as expected we could be in for a Detroit, Boston, San Jose kind of run of being a contender every year for a decade. (I'm getting a semi as I type this) :P
:lol: Let's hope so.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:01 pm 

Logical Progression wrote:
Fogghorn wrote:

Yep, but on this line of reasoning, they really shouldn't be looking to sign either Tanev or Markstrom. Question now here is -- where on earth could they possibly find an elite #2 dman? And we are still looking at the future, then if merely making the playoffs is enough for this season, they really ought to be sellers at the deadline, which won't happen in a million years. They will over pay for Markstrom and try to re-sign Tanev and kick the cap can down the road.

I think Tanev can be had for 3 years if more than that then I'd pass on him, Markstrom is going to get 5-6 years from someone.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:22 am 

Damn, looked through all the 22-26 RH dman year old candidates on teams that have both goalie issues and are playoff relevant and not in complete rebuild, in other words a team that would want Markstrom. The only teams that have worthy candidates appear to be Nashville Dante Fabbro, Minny with Matt Dumba, Buffalo Rasus Ristolainen.

Nashville and Fabbro are intriguing, they need solid goal tending desperately, but would have to send Rinne to the Nucks if Rinne was willing to move and that would mean the Nucks sending someone else back for capspace. But Fabbro at 21 might be the ideal candidate to fill that 1st pair RH spot.

Minny and Buffalo get really complex cap wise and require prospect enhancers for sure.

Really very few options to make a Markstrom trade work unless its for a draft pick. I'm guessing let him go to free agency. There are 5 other goalies hitting free agency this summer, it could be a buyers market and Markstrom doesn't get the term/money he wants and resigns with Vancouver.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:23 pm 

5-1 loss to Anaheim? My fault as its the first time in many years I predicted a win, I should have known better.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:13 pm 

That effort against the Ducks put me in a very foul mood yesterday. They played 1 period of solid hockey (the 2nd), but provided zero push back and no sustained pressure in the 3rd (6 SOG). Stecher with a couple of brain farts to start the game was the catalyst to the loss. Young team - growing pains. :x

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:28 am 

For the playoffs this is actually a pretty impressive lineup, with potentially seven 20 goal scorers.

Miller-Petey-Boeser
Pearson-Bo-Toffoli
Roussel-Gaudette-Virtanen
LE-Beagle-Sutter

This D will keep Markstrom too damn busy

Quinn - Tanev
Edler - Myers
Benn - Stetcher

Tryamkin - Rafferty

- Think the team needs to bring Rafferty up for a few games to take a good look before sending him back down for the AHL playoffs. - That bottom 3 of Myers; Benn, Stetcher is really problematic, one injury in the top 3 and they're dead but we should be okay as Tanev and Edler are consistent iron men. :P

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:37 pm 

Stecher has been punching above his weight for a few years, now it's finally catching up to him. Great story, but he's a bottom pairing 15 minute guy at best and needs to play sheltered minutes imo. Great if they could upgrade him or move Benn.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:45 pm 
Old Man of the Post

Fogghorn wrote:
For the playoffs this is actually a pretty impressive lineup, with potentially seven 20 goal scorers.

Miller-Petey-Boeser
Pearson-Bo-Toffoli
Roussel-Gaudette-Virtanen
LE-Beagle-Sutter

This D will keep Markstrom too damn busy

Quinn - Tanev
Edler - Myers
Benn - Stetcher

Tryamkin - Rafferty

- Think the team needs to bring Rafferty up for a few games to take a good look before sending him back down for the AHL playoffs. - That bottom 3 of Myers; Benn, Stetcher is really problematic, one injury in the top 3 and they're dead but we should be okay as Tanev and Edler are consistent iron men. :P

I see that they've shutdown Ferland and Boeser for the season. Not sure if Boeser will be back to game shape for the playoffs (rib fracture or something).

I think they'll hang onto MacEwan, and Justin Bailey for depth at forward, and bring up Baertschi if he doesn't get offloaded at the deadline. I'm no longer a fan of Tryamkin, and not certain he'd want to ride the pine until someone gets hurt. I have a feeling they're fielding offers for Tanev; they can play Benn and perhaps Quinn on the right and insert Fantenburg on the left.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:26 pm 

Boeser out for 8 weeks. Benning claims this was the motivation for the Taffoli trade, "as the team and coaches had worked so hard this year and they deserved a chance to make the playoffs"

1. They get paid very, very well to "work hard" whether they make the playoffs or not.
2. If your team is so mediocre that it might miss the playoffs because of the loss of Boeser for 8 weeks, you should not be selling futures or you'll have no better future.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:46 pm 
Old Man of the Post

I'm not sure there was ever a future for Madden with Petterson, Horvat and Gaudette ahead of him, so I can understand them giving him away for a rental but to throw in a 2nd and possibly a 4th as well seems a bit much. Schaller is a big body but MacEwen is younger and cheaper and gets around better it seems.

Heard that there's been no talks at all with Tanev's agent so I think they might listen to offers for him or just let him test free agency. I think they may also be listening to offers for Demko since they seem set on holding onto Markstrom.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:04 am 

the Cunning Linguist wrote:
I'm not sure there was ever a future for Madden with Petterson, Horvat and Gaudette

Madden was the only legit centre prospect in the Canuck's system, and someone with the potential to be better than Gaudette, I think he had a future but hey need to make the playoffs so Benning's draft pick trade to TB doesn't turn into a lottery pick.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 234 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next