OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:16 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

E.L. wrote:
Not that anyone would try, but in the meantime doesn't this make them super vulnerable to an offer sheet?

It would screw up their plan regarding the Horton/Clarkson contracts but I don't think they'd be in a position where they had to take the picks.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:17 pm 

BREAKING!

THE LEAFS HAVE SIGNED...

Pontus Aberg

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:47 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Oh c'mon!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:01 am 
King of the One-Liner

Don't think Marner signs till camp opens.

At this point the Leafs are waiting for other UFA's to sign and other UFA's are waiting for Marner to sign.

All because of the Matthews deal. :laap:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:25 pm 
Improvement on the US678 prototype

Hounsy wrote:
Don't think Marner signs till camp opens.

At this point the Leafs are waiting for other UFA's to sign and other UFA's are waiting for Marner to sign.

All because of the Matthews deal. :laap:

Now we are hearing stories, that Marner is worth 10 mil max. and that he still needs to prove himself. TSN had reported that term is the issue.

Don't really know at this point. Hounsy, have you heard anything besides what we read?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:33 pm 
King of the One-Liner

He is worth ten million max, specially if five years.

I have no access to anything credible so most of what I hear is crazy out of touch with reality homer Leaf fans...it does not require repeating. lol

The problem is he is worth what Point and Rantanan are worth and maybe just a bit more than Aho. He is also almost worth what Matthews is but that was a mistake so too bad.

Should have made Nylander sit last year.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:58 pm 

Hounsy wrote:

I have no access to anything credible so most of what I hear is crazy out of touch with reality homer Leaf fans...it does not require repeating. lol

The problem is he is worth what Point and Rantanan are worth and maybe just a bit more than Aho. He is also almost worth what Matthews is but that was a mistake so too bad.

I don't think the Matthews deal was a mistake. The Leafs had ZERO leverage there. Auston is the best player they've had in at least one generation, maybe two, he had their balls in a vise and got exactly the deal he wanted. Marner's camp can say he's just as good as Matthews (and they might be right) but at the end of the day, one guy is a winger, the other is a center. No matter how good the wide receiver is, he knows he's not gonna get the same coin as the star quarterback.

But yeah, Nylander should've sat, and I think Dubas knows the Leafs screwed up there.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:52 pm 
OTP Clown

Wag the dog baby.

The intrigue gives the Toronto Sports Network something to talk about all summer.

This is a fucking sideshow.

It's J.P. fucking Barnum.

They are just keeping butts in seats.

Showmanship. All of it.

"There's a sucker born every minute"

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:08 pm 

Stinky wrote:
Wag the dog baby.

The intrigue gives the Toronto Sports Network something to talk about all summer.

Showmanship. All of it.

If they had signed Kawhi you'd be a Leafs fan.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:26 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Pokecheque wrote:
Hounsy wrote:

I don't think the Matthews deal was a mistake. The Leafs had ZERO leverage there. Auston is the best player they've had in at least one generation, maybe two, he had their balls in a vise and got exactly the deal he wanted. Marner's camp can say he's just as good as Matthews (and they might be right) but at the end of the day, one guy is a winger, the other is a center. No matter how good the wide receiver is, he knows he's not gonna get the same coin as the star quarterback.

But yeah, Nylander should've sat, and I think Dubas knows the Leafs screwed up there.

If Matthews got that money over 7-8 yrs I don't mind, But with only 5 yrs on a guys I don't really think wants to be in Canada I think it stinks. If your going to expose yourself to him walking in two less years than the comparable other signings(Eichel and McDavid) he should get less. Dubas had leverage to say get an offer sheet we may or may not match or sit and get nothing but he caved.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:45 pm 

Hounsy wrote:
If Matthews got that money over 7-8 yrs I don't mind, But with only 5 yrs on a guys I don't really think wants to be in Canada I think it stinks. If your going to expose yourself to him walking in two less years than the comparable other signings(Eichel and McDavid) he should get less. Dubas had leverage to say get an offer sheet we may or may not match or sit and get nothing but he caved.

Different circumstances. There's a new TV deal to be negotiated (where the cap is expected to rise substantially) a new CBA and likely another lockout happening soon, and frankly, I think all star players look at the McDavid contract and realized that was a mistake. He won't say it out loud, but he wants out. Players and their agents are now seeing the wisdom of shorter-term deals when before they were fine with max term.

And Dubas had no leverage. Matthews is way, way, way too important. If he even risked an offer sheet he'd be pilloried. Marner is not as important, so they can afford to play a little hardball, but not AM34.

The players as a whole are pushing the market to new extremes, it's really just bad timing and bad luck for Dubas and the Leafs that their "Big Three" all opted to do so now.

It looks like there's been some discussion behind closed doors. The RFAs are presenting a bit of a united front right now. Once the Marner deal is signed it'll be a watershed event, but everyone's waiting on him.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:15 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Stinky wrote:
Wag the dog baby.

Showmanship. All of it.

J.P. Barnum??? :wtf:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:41 am 

One challenge facing the Leafs this year--they will once again roll out a wildly effective power play, but they actually have to GET on the power play to utilize it. Babs kinda/sorta has to find a way to get this team to draw more penalties. The Avs led the league in drawing them (and I'll admit, sometimes they took it a little too far) so I don't think it's too hard to do so. A team with this much speed/skill should be drawing them regularly anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:21 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Funny Leafs had 2nd last time with PP and 2nd best for on PL. Avs had tops for PP time and worst for PK time.

Wonder if it is how Refs view the teams games as much as the teams? Not sure but could be something there.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:30 pm 

Heard a report that Marner is prepared to begin training camp in Switzerland. The dominoes on RFA's may need to fall without him to start the season.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:39 pm 

Logical Progression wrote:
Heard a report that Marner is prepared to begin training camp in Switzerland. The dominoes on RFA's may need to fall without him to start the season.

Eeeeeeehhhhhhhh it's Dreger. This isn't the first time he's reported an unsigned RFA was threatening to play in Europe. I don't know how much I'd put into that particular report.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:17 am 

Pokecheque wrote:
Eeeeeeehhhhhhhh it's Dreger. This isn't the first time he's reported an unsigned RFA was threatening to play in Europe. I don't know how much I'd put into that particular report.
Yeah was Dreger, well TSN Radio. Thought he was somewhat reputable?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:37 am 
Big in Japan

Dreger is just the public mouthpiece for both sides. I'm sure Marner's agent told Darin this juicy tidbit. It's leverage.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:05 pm 

Yeah was Dreger, well TSN Radio. Thought he was somewhat reputable?

Sometimes, but I lost a lot of respect for him when he was brazenly carrying water for the Canucks and later the Leafs because his cousin Dave Nonis was the GM for those two clubs. He has a tendency to let his personal biases cloud his reporting.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:14 am 
King of the One-Liner

Seems the Toronto media Andreescu obsession(deservedly) is slowing down and now we are going to get 24hr coverage of Mitch Marner and his contract. woohoo :steamingpileofcrap:

Looking at the tweets and articles at a glance and they have narrowed it down to somewhere between 3-7 years in length and 7.5 to 11.5 million in value. :fffffuck:

Originally thought this is resolved first week of camp...not so sure now.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next