OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 839 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31 ... 42  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:17 pm 
Big in Japan

Not their most famous song or even their best one, but this version of The Pass wrecks me every time https://youtu.be/SK8P657pw1c

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:07 pm 
King of Men

E.L. wrote:
Neil Peart :cry:

:doom: Damn you pale rider! Thanks for the awesomeness Neil!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:15 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Terry Jones of Monty Python gone at 77.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:35 pm 
Big in Japan

Holy shit, Kobe...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:52 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Not gonna gloss over the very, very problematic rape trial and his tacit admission after the accuser was basically bullied into accepting a financial settlement. I simply never liked Kobe, even before all that came out. I even grew quite tired of him reappearing over and over again in the NBA and in pop culture in general. But I am sad that a wife lost her husband and one of her daughters, and that two parents lost their son and granddaughter, and that among the other victims of the crash was basically 3/5ths of an entire family.

I can even understand why entire generations of NBA players idolized Kobe growing up. He was one hell of a player. But unfortunately, if you want a primary example of rape culture in action, look no further than Kobe's rape trial. I'm fine with people saying they idolized the player, but when they speak of his "exemplary character" I kinda cringe.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:02 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
Not gonna gloss over the very, very problematic rape trial and his tacit admission after the accuser was basically bullied into accepting a financial settlement. I simply never liked Kobe, even before all that came out. I even grew quite tired of him reappearing over and over again in the NBA and in pop culture in general. But I am sad that a wife lost her husband and one of her daughters, and that two parents lost their son and granddaughter, and that among the other victims of the crash was basically 3/5ths of an entire family.

I can even understand why entire generations of NBA players idolized Kobe growing up. He was one hell of a player. But unfortunately, if you want a primary example of rape culture in action, look no further than Kobe's rape trial. I'm fine with people saying they idolized the player, but when they speak of his "exemplary character" I kinda cringe.

Thank you Poke for bringing up what everyone else seems to ignoring.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:40 pm 
OTP Historian

An awful, awful event for his family and losing a daughter. And for the other victims in the crash.

There are lots of people who are bringing up the rape case, I've read a bunch of pieces that talk about it, but yeah I also feel that people tended to ignore it before and still do. When you're a high-profile athlete like Kobe, Kane, Roethlisberger you are afforded far more opportunities to repair your public image and reverse a lot of damage that others don't have the opportunity to.

For me, I didn't really follow basketball much, rarely watched it, but I knew of the rape accusation/apology/civil suit with Kobe and what went down in L.A. with him basically driving Shaq out of town. I didn't like him. I got so tired of the constant attention, praise, and what I saw as people not giving a fuck about what happened in the past, all because he won and was great at a sport.

But I'm an outsider from a fan and basketball perspective. He never meant anything to me personally, but he meant a lot to and inspired a lot of people. I have no personal connection to know exactly what he meant to so many, what he did for the game and the women's game. And if he had made changes in his life much for the better of himself, his family and others, that's great. I don't have much insight into that either that maybe others do.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:55 pm 
OTP Clown

I'm doing voice to text here so this might sound terrible. But I'm sick of the talking heads on TSN talking about how Kobe Bryant and all these people passed away. Those humans did not pass away. They blew the f******. They were incinerated. Whatever they found at the site look like f****** charcoal. Ever take a marshmallow stick it in the fire wait for it to burn and then blow it out? That's what they found. I didn't pass away. I think that's an insult to just how brutal their deaths were.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:30 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

My heart goes out to all of the families who's lives were so profoundly affected by this tragedy.

Death is for the living.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:49 pm 

Kirk Douglas at 103.

On one hand, one of Hollywood's most celebrated actors, who spawned another one of Hollywood's most celebrated actors.

On the other hand...I keep reading that he may have violently raped a then-teenage Natalie Wood back in the day, and I simply can't discount that in good conscience. I so very wish men in power could behave themselves better.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:56 pm 
Big in Japan

Up and coming Brooklyn rapper Pop Smoke gunned down at 20. Really sad, announced his first Montreal show the day before the shooting.

Between him and Juice WRLD in December, a couple of talented young men who I have no doubt were going to headline arenas in the coming years barely make it past their teens.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:47 pm 
King of Men

E.L. wrote:
Up and coming Brooklyn rapper Pop Smoke gunned down at 20. Really sad, announced his first Montreal show the day before the shooting.

Between him and Juice WRLD in December, a couple of talented young men who I have no doubt were going to headline arenas in the coming years barely make it past their teens.

There's definitely some lessons to be learned for other young people here.

https://www.tmz.com/2020/02/19/pop-smok ... n-robbery/

For one.....don't post your home address on the internet....for two especially after you just posted a picture of you and your boy with a stack of cash in your driveway. Its a shame this poor man had to learn that people are f'n terrible and you have to be careful at such a young age but there is also such a thing called common sense. Either way he didn't deserve that and I hope the other side treats him well.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:32 pm 
Big in Japan

harmfuljays wrote:
E.L. wrote:

There's definitely some lessons to be learned for other young people here.

https://www.tmz.com/2020/02/19/pop-smok ... n-robbery/

For one.....don't post your home address on the internet....for two especially after you just posted a picture of you and your boy with a stack of cash in your driveway. Its a shame this poor man had to learn that people are f'n terrible and you have to be careful at such a young age but there is also such a thing called common sense. Either way he didn't deserve that and I hope the other side treats him well.

Totally. It sucks that these kids, who come from nothing, get huge amounts of money and success in no time but there's no one to guide them or protect them from making bad decisions. 20-year-olds should be allowed to make mistakes, but the stakes are so high for these kids that one mistake could kill you.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:59 am 
Distinguished Gentleman of OTP

Larry Tesler, inventor of the cut-copy-paste computer functions died Feb. 16 at his home in Portola Valley, Calif. He was 74. I will honour him by copy and pasting the Washington Post article below. Seemed fitting.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/obituaries/larry-tesler-inventor-of-copy-and-paste-computer-functions-dies-at-74/2020/02/20/e5699f6e-541c-11ea-9e47-59804be1dcfb_story.html

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:07 pm 
Distinguished Gentleman of OTP

Katherine Johnson at 101 on February 24. A math prodigy who worked for NASA and was celebrated by the book, Hidden Figures, and the 2016 film of the same name. Johnson's job was to check the complicated math of her superiors and later Johnson calculated the trajectories for the early Mercury missions. She calculated Alan Sheppard's first flight trajectory and John Glenn refused to fly his Earth orbit mission until Johnson had verified the calculations. Johnson also helped calculate the Apollo 11 trajectories. Johnson was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom by Barak Obama in 2015.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-51619848

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:45 pm 

Legendary actor Max von Sydow died Sunday at the age of 90.

I still haven't seen the Seventh Seal, I'm gonna do so someday.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:58 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Pokecheque wrote:
Legendary actor Max von Sydow died Sunday at the age of 90.

I still haven't seen the Seventh Seal, I'm gonna do so someday.
Wasn't he in Strange Brew?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:05 pm 

Logical Progression wrote:
Wasn't he in Strange Brew?

HELL YEAH HE WAS. One of his finest roles as the villainous Brewmeister Smith.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:41 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Kenny Rogers, 81. He saw Covid-19 going around and was like "yep, time to fold 'em!". :rimcrash:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:51 pm 

Chris18 wrote:
Kenny Rogers, 81. He saw Covid-19 going around and was like "yep, time to fold 'em!". :rimcrash:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 839 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31 ... 42  Next