OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 369 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 19  Next
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:15 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Pokecheque wrote:
E.L. wrote:
No Parise. The impossible did not happen.

That really felt like a lose-lose scenario all around. Probably best it didn't happen but there's still a possibility it will in the offseason.

Supposedly talks started last summer of Ladd for Parise. Wonder if Ladd wouldn't waive his NTC, and that's why he's been buried in the AHL- as a way of making him miserable enough to waive it. Supposedly both Ladd and Parise waived them. Does waiving it for this deal mean they're permanently waived then?

Clutterbuck was sent to Bridgeport for conditioning, which is really weird, considering he was just put on LTIR the other day. Unless that was part of Lou's plan to make cap space for Parise.

Bellows sent down and Ladd back up. Once again, Ladd is a deadline day addition for the Isles. :lol:

I'm psyched about Pageau. Him signing with the Isles & Parise being willing to be traded to them shows good things for the franchise. Even last year, most guys wouldn't accept a trade to the Isles if they had a choice, and we all know few FAs sign with them. Pageau had some great things to say about coming/signing with the Isles. Talked about being on a competitor, with great teammates. Says the right things... Hopefully he can play tomorrow vs the Rangers. Lou must like him- he's going to wear #44.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:06 pm 

Pageau with the Isles first goal vs the Rangers. Hardly a highlight reel one though. :lol: Pulock blasted one off the glass above the net. Everyone thought it went to Georgiev's left but it was on his right, and Pageau was all alone to tap it in. Later on Pageau gave Dal Colle a pass a little too close to his skates and Dal Colle looked down- for a while. Trouba fucking destroyed him. Butch "I'm now a total homer" was yelling that Trouba left his feet before the hit, which I disagree with. Looked to me like he came up and lifted after contact, but it looks to me like head was the principal point of contact, and Dal Colle was certainly defenseless for long enough for Trouba to pull up. Pageau went right after Trouba. Pageau got 17 minutes of penalties with 14 to go, so he was told to go to the room. Dal Colle left for concussion protocol, and deservedly so. Greene had already fucked up his shoulder diving to clear a puck, with Dick Jr, Lemieux falling on him. So the Isles were missing 3 players for most of the 3rd, Greene since the 1st period.
Isles controlled most of the game, but were down 3-1 and I almost turned it off. But they came back in the last 8 minutes or so, tying it with less than a minute to go.
Pageau came back out to sit in the box during OT, hoping to get back in after his penalties expired. He didn't get the chance. Nelson had the puck in the Rangers zone and I have no idea how but he lost it to Panarin who jetted. All 3 Isles followed him and caught him in their zone, but all 3 were with him- while the puck drifted to the middle of the zone and Zibanejad came fucking flying in to shoot what looked like a 110 MPH slap shot to end the game. At least they battled back for a point, but losing to the Rangers sucks amputated dog balls.
No hearing for Trouba. Figures. Called a "full body hit" by Parros. Fucking moron. It's a "star" player on a guy on an ELC. Of course there's no hearing.
After the game Pageau looked genuinely upset, saying it was his bad pass that got Dal Colle possibly hurt. Love that he went after Trouba, who is way bigger than him. He also said he already loves the Isles because they have been so welcoming. Said just about every guy on the team called or texted him before he even arrived, plus Trotz and Lou.

Dal Colle and Greene are day to day and will go to St Louis. At least they're not out long term.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:25 am 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Yeah, that was some bad puck watching in OT by the Isles. All three guys just paying attention to the Breadman...I'm actually astounded at how much puck watching occurs in the NHL. You'd think pros wouldn't get caught doing that as often as they do.

Trouba's always been kinda dirty, I didn't get a great look at that hit but it looked a little late and a little high.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:25 am 

Pokecheque wrote:
Yeah, that was some bad puck watching in OT by the Isles. All three guys just paying attention to the Breadman...I'm actually astounded at how much puck watching occurs in the NHL. You'd think pros wouldn't get caught doing that as often as they do.

Trouba's always been kinda dirty, I didn't get a great look at that hit but it looked a little late and a little high.

Well Beauvillier and Nelson were on the ice for the OT loser vs the Blues 2 nights later too. Beauvillier actually tips it into his own net. Greiss had the angle played well to keep Parayko's shot from going in but Beauvillier flew in to play D (why Toews, an actual D-man doesn't, I'll never understand), and he angles his stick to direct the would-be errant wrap around, right into the net. This after they blew a 2-1 lead with under 2 minutes to go, so a big loss. But hey, they're sitting pretty in WC1, with a loads of clearance above #10 so who cares about points(/sarcasm)?
At least Pageau is playing like he gives a shit. And Eberle is heating up. 15 goals after like 230948 games with none to start the year.

Bruins on Saturday afternoon. I hope Butch's jersey retirement gives them a big ass boost. I fully expect him to get names wrong during his speech. It's one of his better qualities. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:26 pm 

Well at least that Eberle goal was super slick.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:06 am 

Isles blow live bears vs the Bruins, losing 4-0. First goal sure looked similar to Lee's disallowed goal the other night, but if I say that I sound like a Crylanders fan, right? So I won't say it. Second goal went off Boychuk's skate. Nothing like helping the old teammates! :lol: I had to leave after that, so I have no idea on the other goals, and I'm not going to bother watching.

Butch Goring had his #91 raised to the rafters. In typical Butch fashion, he gave a good speech, complete with roasting old teammates, and of course, mispronounced some names, including "Mart" Barzal (while comparing him to Bobby Bourne). Poor Barzal. Nobody remembers or gets his name right, especially not Isles who wore #91. :roll:

Other Isles news:
Ho-Sang wasn't traded, but was "assigned" to the Blues' AHL team. It's a way of telling him he's out of the Isles' org, and free to show his skills and attitude to a new team. I'd say it's weird, but nobody apparently made ANY offer when he asked for a trade, and nobody took him when he was waived. Of course, he scored in his first game with his new team. All too typical.

NY Gov Cuomo took time off from fucking over teachers to announce that the Isles will play their remaining 3 regular season games at Barclays, and then ALL home games from now on, regular season and playoffs, will be at the Coliseum until Belmont is open. No more Barclays Center (other than those 3 games). It's a big announcement for fans, most of whom hated going to Brooklyn and REALLY hated the Barclays Center itself. I went once. It sucked.

Canadiens on Tuesday and Sens on Thursday. Maybe the extra day off will help them remember how to score.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:52 am 
Big in Japan

Habs v Isles tonight. Habs are not good.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:06 pm 

E.L. wrote:

Well the Isles suck dog balls and made the Habs look like a contender. Fuck this stupid team.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:26 pm 
Big in Japan

Chris18 wrote:
E.L. wrote:

Well the Isles suck dog balls and made the Habs look like a contender. Fuck this stupid team.

I actually did the liveblog for the Montreal paper, if you want to relive the trouncing in all its glory https://montrealgazette.com/sports/hock ... o-barclays

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:50 am 

E.L. wrote:
Chris18 wrote:
E.L. wrote:

I actually did the liveblog for the Montreal paper, if you want to relive the trouncing in all its glory https://montrealgazette.com/sports/hock ... o-barclays

Sure, and I swept the floor the other day. If you'd like to shove that broom up your ass, bristle end first, go relive that glory.

Something I failed to mention in my anger the other night- Johnny Boychuk got tangled up with Varlamov and a Hab forward and both skaters went down. Boychuk caught the Hab's skate- in the eye. He immediately threw his glove, laid face down with his glove over his eye area and got up right away, skating to the hallway door. Blood was dripping down his hand. He got 90 stitches in/around his EYELID by a plastic surgeon. No eye damage! And I'm told plastic surgeons give really tiny stitches, about 3x as many as a normal doctor would. Since it's on the eyelid, it was necessary so he wouldn't have scarring that would damage his eye when blinking. No idea how long he'll be out.
They may call up Thomas Hickey, whose been soldiering on in Bridgeport. Meanwhile, Hickey's brother has been diagnosed with untreatable brain cancer.

Isles at Ottawa tonight.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:31 pm 

Chris18 wrote:
Something I failed to mention in my anger the other night- Johnny Boychuk got tangled up with Varlamov and a Hab forward and both skaters went down. Boychuk caught the Hab's skate- in the eye. He immediately threw his glove, laid face down with his glove over his eye area and got up right away, skating to the hallway door. Blood was dripping down his hand. He got 90 stitches in/around his EYELID by a plastic surgeon. No eye damage! And I'm told plastic surgeons give really tiny stitches, about 3x as many as a normal doctor would. Since it's on the eyelid, it was necessary so he wouldn't have scarring that would damage his eye when blinking. No idea how long he'll be out.
They may call up Thomas Hickey, whose been soldiering on in Bridgeport. Meanwhile, Hickey's brother has been diagnosed with untreatable brain cancer.

Isles at Ottawa tonight.

Yeah I read about that. Horrible news.

I didn't realize Hickey's career has basically gone off the rails since he got hurt in that game against the Avs.

Boychuk's about done. 35 and held together with tape and chewing gum at this point. And now he's getting goddamn skates in the face!

The skate belonged to Habs player Artturi Lehkonen, BTW...as if that matters.

Regardless, Boychuk's had one hell of a career. 725 NHL games and a Stanley Cup champion. I love Joel Quenneville but in his stint as Avalanche head coach he made two egregiously bad calls. One of them was pretty much running then-prospect Johnny out of town on a rail. The Avs traded him for Matt goddamned Hendricks. :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:11 am 

Hickey is up as an emergency call-up, so he can only play if others get hurt/sick. Guess they'd have to waive him to have brought him up otherwise?
No clue on Boychuk's return date, but I agree, he's really showing his age. Isles fans have been saying all year that he should be the 7th D-man or in a sort of platoon with Dobson. Sure, Dobson has probably learned a lot playing with Boychuk, but Boychuk spends a lot of time explaining to Dobson what happened when their line got scored on. And I don't think it's usually Dobson's fault. I love Boychuk's attitude and shot, but his skating was never that great to begin with.

Fucking loss to the Sens. Barzal with 1G & 2A. 59 points in 66 games for him. And they're hanging onto WC2 by an ass hair. Lots of talk about starting a "We Want Lehner" chant on Isles blogs if either goalie doesn't play well on Saturday. Lou looks like a total fucking moron for letting him walk. Greiss has been a tire fire most of this year. Varlamov hasn't exactly been stellar. 1 bad goal per game. Might as well have kept Halak. At least he always played well vs the Rangers.

Hurricanes on Saturday. The canes always give the Isles a really tough time (uhh, sweep), so this probably means a SIX game losing streak. Great fucking playoff run guys.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:40 pm 

I thought the whole notion of bringing Varly aboard was to help break in Ilya Sorokin, but now I keep reading rumor after rumor that Lou's going to move Sorokin at the draft. What the hell gives!?

It's the height of irony that Varlamov has stayed far, far healthier than Grubauer, but the former is proving why he really isn't a viable starter in this league anymore, at least not a workhorse-type. He'd be fine in a tandem situation but for whatever reason Greiss is faltering now too.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:44 pm 
Big in Japan

Happy to hear Boychuk didn't lose an eye. Gruesome injury.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:20 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
I thought the whole notion of bringing Varly aboard was to help break in Ilya Sorokin, but now I keep reading rumor after rumor that Lou's going to move Sorokin at the draft. What the hell gives!?

It's the height of irony that Varlamov has stayed far, far healthier than Grubauer, but the former is proving why he really isn't a viable starter in this league anymore, at least not a workhorse-type. He'd be fine in a tandem situation but for whatever reason Greiss is faltering now too.

Greiss' subpar season is a total mystery. He's in a contract year. Same system, same goalie coaches as last year, etc.

I had no idea what to expect from Varlamov, but he's certainly not that impressive to date.

Sorokin- there were rumors months ago that he had demanded a trade. He laughed and said the first he knew of his demand was when he had read it on Twitter. So I don't think there's any truth to Lou trying to move him. I think people just like to fuck with the Isles when they have a good player in their system. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:07 pm 

Mat Barzal is obviously quite frustrated. Isles score with like 6 minutes left in regulation to tie it up, and then he draws a tripping penalty with like 52 seconds to go. While still on his knees he starts slashing the guy who tripped him (don't remember who, don't care). Lee separates them. Fine. Barzal stays on to try to win it in regulation on the PP. Instead he high sticks Staal in the face, getting a double minor with 24 seconds left. Isles lose shortly into OT on a questionable goal. Shot came in and was deflected with what everyone on the Isles side says was a high stick, bounces DOWN to the crossbar, then to the side where another Hurricane pops it off Mayfield and into the net. Refs on the ice said good goal, then it went to Toronto, where they didn't say the call was confirmed, but said there wasn't enough evidence to overturn it. Was the Cane's stick above the crossbar- clearly, but he was a few feet out in front, where the reference changes to his shoulder. But what is that distance from the crease, and how do you measure it? There aren't any lines on the ice, so is it just something like "well, he's far enough out to satisfy me. Today."

So, Isles winless streak hits 6. 0-3-3. Season going down the crapper after looking so promising. If Lou doesn't realize he needs a scoring forward, he should be fired.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:57 am 

Boychuk is on the road trip and began skating yesterday. Cizikas didn't make the trip and is supposed to start skating today. The latter can't return soon enough.

4 game west coast road trip. It begins with them in 9th place. Tied with Carolina in points and games played, but the Canes have more regulation wins. Panthers are 1 point behind the Isles but have 2 more GP. This could be a total shit show that comes down to the last shift of the regular season.

Canucks tonight. Probably too late for me to bother watching. And I just realized I'll miss at least the first half since I have an old man game of my own. Kids' seasons are pretty much over so I re-joined for spring league. Hooray for me! I'll get to show how out of shape I am!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:14 pm 
Old Man of the Post

Chris18 wrote:
Canucks tonight. Probably too late for me to bother watching.

Clash of the Titans tonight. Vancouver has like 3 wins in the last 15 games.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:21 pm 

Hey folks, here are some nice stocking stuffers for Chris and his family, if you're in the giving mood:

https://twitter.com/NYIslanders/status/ ... 8316116995

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:00 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

the Cunning Linguist wrote:
Chris18 wrote:
Canucks tonight. Probably too late for me to bother watching.
Clash of the Titans tonight. Vancouver has like 3 wins in the last 15 games.
Mirror image of themselves. Prediction: Matthew Barzal lights it up in front a hometown crowd and the Isles go onto beat the Nucks 4-2 including an empty netter by Barzal to seal it late.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 369 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 19  Next