OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 222 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 12  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:52 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

harmfuljays wrote:
Pokecheque wrote:
Oh...and it's up. I haven't heard it yet.

https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/locked ... -avalanche

I would listen to this but it won't let me without registering.

If you have a podcast app on your phone it should be available for free. I just Googled the podcast name and pasted the link of the first thing I found.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:51 pm 

Lo and behold, hockey players suck after getting two weeks of rest. Avs drop a stinker to the Flyboys in Philly, 6-3.

Avs in the thick of trade rumors, LeBrun has them snagging Alec Martinez from the Kings, but I'm hoping they aim a little higher. I'd like for them to go after Dylan DeMelo in Ottawa and possibly either Kevin Labanc in SJ or Tyler Toffoli in LA. Martinez is very close to 30 and frankly, DeMelo is younger and better.

Apparently Big Buff may be an option...but I'm guessing he won't be ready in time this season.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:55 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Leblanc would be a good option as he's on a one year show me contract and has a lot of upside. Toffoli seems to be having a better year but doesn't seem to have quite the goal scoring jump as he did 4-5 years ago and is slightly older. Martinez would be a waste imo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:59 pm 

Logical Progression wrote:
Leblanc would be a good option as he's on a one year show me contract and has a lot of upside. Toffoli seems to be having a better year but doesn't seem to have quite the goal scoring jump as he did 4-5 years ago and is slightly older. Martinez would be a waste imo

Yeah, I think Martinez is just plain too old.

I really think Toffoli needs a change of scenery. His two-way play and underlying numbers are still amazing, he's just having shit luck in terms of putting it into the net.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:02 am 

DAMMIT...wish I had done a GDT for the last game against the Flyboys. The headline coulda been "Echo and the Bunnaman."

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:22 pm 

Avs win a laugher against the sad, depleted, and defeated franchise once known as the Buffalo Sabres. It was clear after the goalie change that Buffalo was just waiting to get it over with, and for the most part the Avs kinda let up on them once the score was 6-1.

Andre Burakovsky has a big night with a goal and three assists, and has now surpassed his career high in points, and there's still a third of the season to go. I don't know if the Avs will be the ones who pay him, but someone will.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:39 pm 

Naz is too much :lol: Tells Brandon Montour "You're a shitty player on a shitty fuckin' team!"

https://streamable.com/yjr4o

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:05 am 

Kinda hard to believe given how well they've been doing but the Avs didn't have a single, solitary third period comeback this season...until tonight. And they did it against the league's hottest goalie. Down 1-0 going into the third against Elvis and the Blue Suede Jackets, shots from Kadri and MacKinnon get the Avs another win.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:35 am 
King of Men

Gutsy victory against the Jackets and one you can build on. All set up by the big hit by Zadorov on Gerbe. Quietly Grubauer had to be sharp to even give them the opportunity.

Danskoi has a knack for the puck...he's gritty and goes into corners and most times comes out with the puck...this is in direct contrast to Burakovsky who with a stiff breeze becomes unencumbered. I would like to see Danskoi back on that line riding with Burakovsky because their talents complement each other well. Sure that makes Nichushkin the odd man out but the 3rd line isn't a bad place to be on this team and he was fine there before.

I tell my wife...wow....Torts must have really learned something from the playoffs last year as the Jackets are playing just like the Bruins. Their layer support and tenacity was excellent.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:29 pm 

3-2 win against the Wylde. Pretty ugly as the Avs played the night before and it showed, but Frankie, after a couple bad outings previously, stood tall.

Meanwhile, the league's whiniest goalie, Devan Dubnyk, gives up a big softie on a long shot from Pierre-Edouard Bellemare. The two others he gave up were not exactly great either. :clint:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:08 am 
King of Men

You've actually got some company this year as the wife has me watching every game....and at this point I feel fairly comfortable offering up my assessments (lucky you).

Eric Staal and Dubnyk must have been pounding Gus and Brew before the game. They were questionable at multiple points.

Avs paraded back and forth down the tunnel....Burakovsky (stayed on the bench), Bellmare, Kadri (several times).

The only permanent tunnel dweller was Kadri so we will see how that goes......but at least that means more time for Danskoi!

Not sure what Rantannen did to deserve all the paddle whacks from the Wild.....he seems like a fairly mellow dude and definitely not a knob like Kadri (don't know either of them personally).....who knows maybe he talked smack in Finnish.

Tickets are still available for Saturday at the AFA but $135 for freezing my ass off doesn't sound particularly fun.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:23 pm 

Yeah it sounds like a possible high ankle sprain for Naz, which is bad news, hopefully not overly serious since he did at least return for a shift after it happened.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:58 pm 

Well...shit. According to Bednar, Naz is out for "weeks."

Losing him is huge. He's the team's 2nd-best center and far and away their best faceoff guy. Hope it's not for too long.

Not sure what they do in the interim. The only other options at 2C are Bellemare, Jost, and Compher, and none of those guys are really capable of being scoring line centers. I suppose they could try Mikko at C, as he's played the position before, but I think that would be a mistake. They could try recalling Shane Bowers, who's been scoring quite well at the AHL level after a slow start, but he's mostly been playing the wing, and I don't think he's ready yet.

That leaves Option C: Trade for a guy. The best center reportedly available is Jean-Gabriel Pageau, and while he's more suited as a third-line guy, he's got some real scoring chops, having passed the 20-goal mark this year. His defense is elite, and for a little guy he sure knows how not to get pushed around easily. I'd love for the Avs to snag him, but I imagine the price will be high with a lot of potential suitors burning up Dorion's phone. If the price is a 2020 first and an B-level prospect, I think I'd do that, knowing full well he's a rental who could bolt via UFA.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:47 pm 
King of Men

I think I'd give Rantanen a go for a few games assess it and then act accordingly.

I don't think its panic trade time unless we are looking at 4 weeks plus.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:24 pm 

They're gonna give J.T. Compher a go at 2C alongside Gabe Landeskog and Valeri Nichushkin. That might actually work, since Compher doesn't really have the defensive chops to be a center, put him between two of the better

Top line was switched around a bit last game to Burakovsky - MacKinnon - Rantanen. They'll give it another go tonight.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:03 pm 
Old Man of the Post

Pokecheque wrote:
harmfuljays wrote:
Pokecheque wrote:
Oh...and it's up. I haven't heard it yet.

https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/locked ... -avalanche

I would listen to this but it won't let me without registering.

If you have a podcast app on your phone it should be available for free. I just Googled the podcast name and pasted the link of the first thing I found.

Listening to it now... Wow, you sound as young as you look...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:47 pm 

Another fairly easy win against the Sens, who tried like hell and at least made it interesting for the first period or so, but in the end just fell to a superior team. Nuke scored a nifty PPG deflecting a perfect Burakovsky feed into the slot. Grubauer has bounced back well after a bad slump prior to the ASG break and got a shutout for his efforts. Rantanen, who is finally starting to look like himself, had the first goal.

Biggest concerns are obviously how to deal with Kadri's injury and how to fix the still-awful special teams. The power play, despite the fact that it managed to score, remains ridiculously bad. There is simply no excuse for this given how much talent they can bring to bear.

Also, fan frustration is reaching an all-time high with poor Tyson Jost. Last night he had yet another perfect feed in the slot and completely whiffed on it. Luckily for him his teammates gathered the puck and later set up the Nuke goal on that very same shift. There's no getting around it--he's the worst player on the team. In some ways that's a good thing. Tyson Jost isn't a terrible NHLer, he's just not that good. If he's your worst player, then you must be doing something right. That said...it's long past time to move on. They need to do SOMETHING with him at the deadline, or before the draft. Enough is enough. If it's ever going to happen for the former 10th overall pick in 2016, it ain't gonna be in Colorado.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:19 am 
King of Men

Pokecheque wrote:

Also, fan frustration is reaching an all-time high with poor Tyson Jost. Last night he had yet another perfect feed in the slot and completely whiffed on it. Luckily for him his teammates gathered the puck and later set up the Nuke goal on that very same shift. There's no getting around it--he's the worst player on the team. In some ways that's a good thing. Tyson Jost isn't a terrible NHLer, he's just not that good. If he's your worst player, then you must be doing something right. That said...it's long past time to move on. They need to do SOMETHING with him at the deadline, or before the draft. Enough is enough. If it's ever going to happen for the former 10th overall pick in 2016, it ain't gonna be in Colorado.

Yep, Rico Fata 2.0....trade him for Kerfoot! My wife also does not like Sam Girard......but he's still got some grace period.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:32 pm 

harmfuljays wrote:
Yep, Rico Fata 2.0....trade him for Kerfoot! My wife also does not like Sam Girard......but he's still got some grace period.

I'd say this to Janelle about Sammy--one reason for his early-season struggles is that forecheckers are keying in on him big-time, and unfortunately EJ is way too slow and just plain not good enough anymore to take the heat off him. And...Sam wasn't really making quick decisions with the puck. He gets into trouble when he holds onto it too long, like the other night against the Sens he was skating it around the attacking zone and made a late pass that got picked off and sent the other way. Alas, he's only 21, there is still room for development.

I think once you get a legit defensive partner alongside Sammy, he's going to thrive. He's wildly talented and smart, but he's a little overworked. I wouldn't say he's a superstar but he's very good. The projected top four for this team the next two years or so could be fucking elite:

Bowen Byram - Cale Makar
Sam Girard - Conor Timmins

Obviously there are still major concerns about Timmins' health and we still don't yet know what kind of player Byram will be in the NHL (plus he's only like, 19 still). But in terms of raw talent that very well might be the best top-four in the damned league.

As for Rico Fata...at least that dude could skate. I'm stunned at how badly so many scouts missed on Jost. You can read scouting reports on him from back in the day who say he's a great skater. He's not, he's just about the slowest guy on the team apart from the old and banged-up defensemen (Johnson and Cole) who are being held together with scotch tape and glue. Just really sad...can't blame the kid's work ethic or character, he's got both in spades. He just...ain't good enough.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:28 pm 
King of Men

An absolute logistic shitshow for the Outdoor game in the Springs. Calling it a joke is an understatement.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 222 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 12  Next