OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:58 am 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

harmfuljays wrote:
Can't say for 100% but I too am fairly certain it was Brodie.

I was going to post this in the Calgary forum but its Kadri and safe speak. Guess we'll just have to take him at his word...whatever the case thank God he isn't on the Flames! Barrie is better than Brodie anyway.

At least 2nd line scoring was addressed (sort of). Whether it works or not remains to be seen. Lots of teams seem to be able to make it with 2 lines and role players so at this point I would expect a playoff showing.

I wish someone from the local news would sit down and give Kadri some air time for the fans....they do it for the Nuggets.

I'm being told for certain it was going to be Brodie/Jankowski for Kadri/Rosen, which would've been a very good trade for Calgary as Backlund is probably better suited as a 3rd line center, but they really wouldn't lose much defense on the 2nd line with Kadri. And Kadri and Tkachuk on the same line...egads...

Unfortunately, there's still a ton of question marks in the forward ranks, notably Jost and Burakovsky, who are slotted to take the wings alongside Kadri. And they're problematic players for the exact opposite reasons. Burakovsky has all the size, skating, skill, and hockey sense to be an elite two-way forward, but his mental drive appears to go off the rails too often. I'm still not thrilled with the trade, but if the gamble pays off he'll be a force.

Jost, on the other hand, has all the drive and character you could possibly want in a young player--unfortunately his size and skating are simply not up to snuff, and his hockey sense is not quite up to the point where it mitigates those other two deficits. I'm not very bullish on the guy, but he did show some signs of life in the postseason. The other issue is apparently he dealt with an injured hand most of last season, which is good news in that the poor play we saw might be accounted for, but bad news in that he has now limped through his first two pro years with injuries. If he doesn't have the skating, size, OR durability...I'm just not sure if he has a place on this team. That'd be a pretty big whiff for the Avs drafting/development crew since he was taken 10th overall in the 2016 draft. He may yet be a player, but I just don't see a star, which makes me think the Avs will move him if he doesn't have a breakout season.

Personally, I think they'll eventually have to move J.T. Compher onto Kadri's RW and that's what'll start making that line click. As for the LW, not sure, maybe Donskoi, maybe Wilson, but they clearly want both of those guys on the 3rd line since they're more defensively-oriented than the other two.

Regardless, it's nice to see that analytics is clearly playing a role in the decision-making process. They're taking a chance on Burakovsky because he has very good underlying numbers. Donskoi is an analytics darling, and their blueline is moving away from stay-at-home types and emphasizing speed and skill. Will it work? Well...we'll see. Should be exciting at the very least.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:18 pm 

Per Ryan Clark of The Athletic, the Avs have signed Andre Burakovsky to a one-year deal that's essentially his qualifying offer of $3.25 million.

https://twitter.com/ryan_s_clark/status ... 8042145792

The Avs also said goodbye to farmhand defenseman Sergei Boikov, a former 6th round pick from the 2015 draft. Big puckmoving defenseman, he was a long shot to make the big leagues anyway, but a massive, season-ending shoulder injury he suffered early on really wrecked any chance he had. He now returns to Russia, but the Avs at the last minute decided to qualify him and retain his rights despite knowing he was on his way out. The Avs essentially did the same with Anton Lindholm from the disastrous 2014 draft, though he hasn't formally announced that he's returning to Europe quite yet.

All that remains is re-signing RFAs Mikko Rantanen, Vladislav Kamenev, and J.T. Compher. They have $19.9 million in cap room remaining to do so.

And in other news, Sam Girard got a new Goldendoodle puppy and named him "Tornade" after his signature on-ice move. :D

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bz6LYgehaK3 ... QlRxKY1c0/

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:56 pm 

Couple more signings:

2018 5th rounder F Brandon Saigeon, the guy fans have been wondering was ever gonna sign, signs...but not with the Avs. He signs an AHL deal with the Eagles, and Dater reports he'll get an official ELC in March. Dude went back to juniors as an overager and completely dominated in the regular season and playoffs. Most of the time people dismiss overage years but I read somewhere the analytics community is putting a new perspective on that. Regardless, I think he'll be great in Loveland, and who knows, maybe he'll be a legit NHL prospect going forward. Not sure why the Avs are doing it this way, but whatever...maybe there are expansion draft implications, I just don't know.

C/W J.T. Compher, aka "Jimothy Timothy," one of the key pieces of the Ryan O'Reilly deal, inks almost the exact same deal Alexander Kerfoot did with Toronto, 4 years at $3.5 million AAV. That's not bad IMO. I don't think there's a ton more there, and while his underlying numbers are actually not great, he makes up for it with clutch goals and shorthanded scoring chances. That's a decent amount of money and term to where I don't think, even if he doesn't improve at all, the Avs will be disappointed. He's set to be the team's 3rd line center this upcoming season, but I think he slots better at right wing.

Now all that remains are a couple minor league guys and some Finnish dude.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:16 pm 

Bowen Byram signs his ELC. He most assuredly will get the nine game treatment, but I'd be fairly surprised if he played the full year.

Avs surprisingly don't want their bad 2014 draft to die just yet. They bring back forward Julien Nantel to an AHL deal and defenseman Anton Lindholm for two years. What's even more surprising is that both players opted to stay even though their chances to make the big club are less than nil at this point.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:22 pm 

I just assumed Naz would be wearing 43 since it was available. Nope.
What makes that kinda interesting is that current RFA Vladislav Kamenev had that number previously. This isn't shocking as it's unlikely he has a future with the club after two seasons in a row ruined by serious injuries, but his departure may be quicker than I thought. He's currently chillin' in the Crimea according to his social media posts, so it doesn't seem like he's too concerned.

This seems to be a trend among players these days--picking numbers in the 90s.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:09 pm 

Well okay then, Avs not messin' around.

https://nhl.nbcsports.com/2019/07/31/gi ... avalanche/

Sammy Girard signs a 7-year extension worth $35 million. For those who don't wish to math this early, that's $5 million AAV.

He's an integral part of the plan going forward, so I'm quite happy with this.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:42 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Thank you for doing the math on that difficult one that went to zero decimal places.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:16 am 

Chris18 wrote:
Thank you for doing the math on that difficult one that went to zero decimal places.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:47 am 

Avs, to my surprise, re-sign A.J. Greer to a one-year, two-way deal. Unfortunately in order to actually use the "two-way" portion, he'll have to clear waivers. I don't see him making the roster out of camp.

There were some grand hopes he'd be a worthwhile player, but so far he hasn't really been much more than a very good scorer at the AHL level, and marginal 4th liner who takes stupid penalties, and as a result has not won over Jared Bednar. The little off-ice incident with Sonny Milano, though minor, probably didn't help matters.

I do love his original Avs profile pic though.

Colorado has literally taken care of all possible business save for one remaining RFA...and it's a doozy.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:55 pm 

https://theathletic.com/1140809/2019/08 ... nd-future/

Sakic held his annual charity golf tournament recently, both John-Michael Liles and Milan Hejduk were in attendance. Peter Forsberg just happened to be flying in from Switzerland (where he lives now) and asked if Super Joe had any plans, so he was out there as well.

But the important tidbits of news is that while there's no word of an impending deal, it appears both Mikko and Joe have been in contact, and it appears neither side is interested in a bridge deal. It's likely going to be long-term, now it's just down to the numbers.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:24 am 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

How many goals for Kadri this season with the Avs? Last year he had 16.

Let's go with 28. :ugeek:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:02 am 
Big in Japan

Logical Progression wrote:
How many goals for Kadri this season with the Avs? Last year he had 16.

Let's go with 28. :ugeek:

He had 32 and 32 the two years before Tavares. So 28 is seems about right, give or take a couple.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:19 pm 

The back-to-back 32-goal seasons were alongside Mitch Marner, correct?

I guess it depends. He's definitely going to be the team's top checker, he'll get the toughest matchups and will start a majority of his shifts in the defensive zone.

His projected linemates as of now are Tyson Jost and Andre Burakovsky. Both have proven to put up good defensive numbers, but have been thoroughly underwhelming at the other end of the ice. If both (or even one of them) can figure it out, fantastic. If not, there'll be quite a bit of line shuffling and then I have no idea how that's gonna go...unless they put Mikko Rantanen on his right wing, who is a comparable player to Marner.

I expect him to be on the top power play unit, and if so he'll be the "rover" who just goes where he's needed, but he'll do most of his work in the slot. If so he could score a whole ton of points with all those other guys firing away at the net.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:08 pm 

Wow...okay then. The Avs sign Valeri Nichushkin to a 1-year, 1-way deal for $850,000.

https://www.denverpost.com/2019/08/19/a ... ium=social

This probably ends with him being waived, demoted, and him not reporting and returning to Russia, but I suppose it's worth a try.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:44 pm 
Big in Japan

Decent spot for Chooch. Could carve out a space as a grinder, but if he shows a little offence they won't be afraid to move him up.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:04 pm 

Frankly I think this is a waste of time but whatever...again, there's not much here to really lose.

There's also one other thing, relatively minor though. Because of the hip injury he suffered late last season, Mikko Rantanen said he wasn't able to start fully training until sometime in July, so he may be a bit slow out of the gate. Just wondering if they wanted a tad more insurance going into camp.

Of course they gotta SIGN Mikko first...but y'all knew that.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:49 pm 

The only way this signing really makes sense is if they feel like they need a guy at RW in the event Mikko doesn't sign by camp.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:30 pm 

I guess someone had a word with concussed D prospect Conor Timmins about wearing The Cursed Number, because he switched it to 20 for this season. They should just take 18 out behind the woodshed and never hand it to another player ever again.

And since Nazem Kadri took his 91, Vladislav Kamenev will wear 81 this season. Mark Alt, last year's captain for the Colorado Eagles, will switch from 7 to 10, and fresh from the Arizona Coyotes, Kevin Connauton will take that 7 from Alt, which has been more or less the Avalanche's token journeyman number.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:50 pm 

Wow, this ended up being far better content than what I was expecting.

http://fromthecheapseats.podbean.com/

Some guys at one of the local TV news stations started up a podcast, and their first guest was Ryan Clark of the Athletic, who's always a great listen (seriously, he might be the best hockey beat reporter Denver has ever seen...he's been THAT good in a very short time) but the real fun part is when they bring in Mark Castellano, the Avs organist. He admits when he started that he knew absolutely nothing about hockey, but is a big fan now. What struck me is how much they all network with one another and learn about trending stuff via the Organist Alert Twitter account. I always thought that account was a fun follow and very informative, but had no idea the organists themselves depended on it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:55 pm 

Soooooooo...this is not good news.

https://twitter.com/AltitudeTV/status/1 ... 4419031041

Altitude is in danger of being dropped by Dish, DirecTV, and Comcast, which is basically...everyone. Would be a very bad look to not have games broadcast when buzz for both the Avalanche and Nuggets has reached a fevered pitch for the first time in well over a decade.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next