OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Who will be the first coach fired?
John Hynes 40%  40%  [ 2 ]
Paul Maurice 40%  40%  [ 2 ]
Peter Laviolette 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Bruce Boudreau 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Mike Babcock 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
Jared Bednar 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 5
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:50 pm 
Improvement on the US678 prototype

Pokecheque wrote:
us 679 part trois wrote:
I totally agree, but I still don't know if that's still a requirement.

At this point, it shouldn't be. Get the best damned available candidate. FFS, an American used to own the damn team.

Again, couldn't agree more.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:51 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Pokecheque wrote:
us 679 part trois wrote:
I totally agree, but I still don't know if that's still a requirement.
At this point, it shouldn't be. Get the best damned available candidate. FFS, an American used to own the damn team.
They could always just learn french in order to deal with the local media.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:02 pm 
Big in Japan

The francophone coach and GM rule only exists if Geoff Molson wants it. There's nothing legally binding him to do anything, it's his team.

Now, it's been proven francophone media in Montreal can make your life hell if you can't speak French. Just ask Randy Cunneyworth.

In a way, the francophone thing allows you to hedge your bets. Team isn't winning, well, it's not our fault, we brought in the best francos we could. It's easier to win people over by having French speakers than it is having a winning team. If Molson brings in, say, McGill man Mike Babcock, he has to win, and win right away. It's the only way to shut people up, and even then, they'll still complain from time to time.

It's not just Molson, either. Who's got the brass balls to take on that thankless gig? A way around it is to bring a guy on a long-term deal and tell media he's taking lessons and will be able to speak in a year.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:04 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

E.L. wrote:
The francophone coach and GM rule only exists if Geoff Molson wants it. There's nothing legally binding him to do anything, it's his team.

Now, it's been proven francophone media in Montreal can make your life hell if you can't speak French. Just ask Randy Cunneyworth.

In a way, the francophone thing allows you to hedge your bets. Team isn't winning, well, it's not our fault, we brought in the best francos we could. It's easier to win people over by having French speakers than it is having a winning team. If Molson brings in, say, McGill man Mike Babcock, he has to win, and win right away. It's the only way to shut people up, and even then, they'll still complain from time to time.

It's not just Molson, either. Who's got the brass balls to take on that thankless gig? A way around it is to bring a guy on a long-term deal and tell media he's taking lessons and will be able to speak in a year.

It was a long time ago but I seem to remember either the media or the fans or both freaking the hell out over Saku Koivu doing a lineup announcement that wasn't in both English and French, so the next game he did it in French. Always felt like it was more of an implicit wish than an actual rule in place.

I read that when Pierre Lacroix, then the GM of the Quebec Nordiques, hired Marc Crawford to be the head coach, he very politely asked Crawford to work on his French. Of course that's QC, I can't imagine you'd EVER get away with a coach or GM who isn't Francophone.

But hey, if they ever want to make a big splash and also hire a Francophone coach...Patrick Roy is still available!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:00 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Pokecheque wrote:
But hey, if they ever want to make a big splash and also hire a Francophone coach...Patrick Roy is still available!
Would personally love this, if not for it being such a contrarian move by a highly conservative organization, then just for the pure theatre - it would certainly make for a very interesting 2-3 seasons. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:07 am 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Logical Progression wrote:
Pokecheque wrote:
Would personally love this, if not for it being such a contrarian move by a highly conservative organization, then just for the pure theatre - it would certainly make for a very interesting 2-3 seasons. :lol:

That's basically the only reason I want to see it--I dearly miss Paddy in the NHL, he's simply too much fun. Ultimately I think he's not really suited for the NHL as a bench boss or front office guy, but who knows..maybe he's learned a thing or two.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6