OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:03 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Good news: Camp has started!!!!!

Bad news: Mikko isn't there!!!!!

Valeri Nichushkin just got his paperwork processed and will be in Denver either sometime today or tomorrow. So...there's that.

Andre Burakovsky has taken the RW spot alongside MacKinnon and Landeskog. :|

Conor Timmins reportedly looks great on a pairing alongside big hitter Nikita Zadorov.

Goalies look fine.

Kevin Connauton is in the no-contact jersey and full facemask after taking a puck to the ol' kisser.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:32 pm 
Old Man of the Post

Is it true that Rantanen isn't even in the country?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:39 pm 

the Cunning Linguist wrote:
Is it true that Rantanen isn't even in the country?

Yep, he's still in Finland. Even said something to the effect that it's not surprising.

I keep hearing reports that they're close, but who knows.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:24 pm 

Adrian Dater's reporting there's been virtually no talk between the Avs and Mikko Rantanen's camp the past week. Ugh.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:22 pm 

I think the big hangup here might be that Mikko wants a bridge and the Avs are not at all interested in that. A three-year deal would mean the Avs would have to deal with re-signing Rantanen AND MacKinnon the same summer. No way. I'm hoping for a contract around $9-10 million AAV and around 6 years, though the Avs may have to go higher now that Marner's signed for nearly 11 per.

Another possible factor--Altitude TV's current stalemate with three major carriers. Money's gotta come from somewhere.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:24 pm 

Avs ice a whole bunch of youngsters and hangers-on for their first preseason contest and it goes about as one would expect, a 5-0 drubbing at the hands of the Golden Blights.

Made some more cuts, no one unexpected.

Reportedly young Bowen Byram looked pretty shaky out there, but hey, he's 18. I'm sure he'll still get at least the nine-game treatment at the beginning of the season. Also, Conor Timmins, despite the lopsided score, looked like a seasoned pro--or so I'm told--out there, and given the lackluster starts of guys like Mark Barberio and Ryan Graves, may actually have a legit shot at making the opening night roster. I still think it'd be more prudent to start him in the AHL since he is coming back from a major injury that had him miss well over a calendar year of hockey, but it's encouraging to see him playing so well after a long time off.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:09 pm 

Pierre LeBrun reports the Avs and Rantanen's camp are hung up on term.

Rantanen's agent, Mike Liut, who also happens to be Patrik Laine's agent, said publicly that the two sides are not close, and he mentioned Marner as a comparable. The Avs have been very adamant in saying they are not going to go off of Marner's deal in determining a value for #96.

No idea how this ends. Sure as hell hope he's signed before the puck drops for real. I was seriously contemplating getting a Rants jersey as my next merchandise purchase, but I have to wait to see how this plays out.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:17 pm 
Big in Japan

My guess: 5 years, 9.75M AAV, signed next week.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:45 pm 

E.L. wrote:
My guess: 5 years, 9.75M AAV, signed next week.

I'll be bouncing off the walls if that's the deal. A three-year deal would be super-worrisome, and anything five or more would be fantastic.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:24 pm 

Avs are icing a pretty stacked roster tonight against the Stars, who are...not stacking theirs. I'll be mildly concerned if they drop this one.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:16 pm 
King of Men

Read a report today that the Avs have no intention of paying Rantanen Marner money.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:37 pm 

harmfuljays wrote:
Read a report today that the Avs have no intention of paying Rantanen Marner money.

I read that too...we will see if they cave or not. Frankly I don't see what leg they have to stand on here. Marner is actually a very good comparable to Rantanen. IMO Marner probably is the better player overall but not by much.

Thing is they really want to stick to their "salary structure" as much as possible. It's not necessarily dumb, Avs are going to have some very expensive players in the next 3-4 years. Their top 2 centers are on sweetheart deals but even they will need to be re-upped in about 3 years. But I just don't think they're going to win this staring contest.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:55 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

harmfuljays wrote:
Why would they? The club has the leverage here. Either he plays or sits. Not good for either side but worse consequences for Rantanen. Looks like a bridge deal is in order.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:08 pm 

Logical Progression wrote:
Why would they? The club has the leverage here. Either he plays or sits. Not good for either side but worse consequences for Rantanen. Looks like a bridge deal is in order.

Not so sure they have the leverage. They know their best possible window for contention is right now and for the next two seasons. Then the cap becomes a real problem and they have some very tough decisions to make. Mikko knows that. I'm guessing/hoping this ends up similar to the Marner situation where boths sides make some concessions.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:55 pm 

Avs are publicly stating they want Mikko to sign long term for around $8.4 million. That ain't gonna get the job done, and I'm pretty sure they know that. Possibly a little PR/negotiation spin so they look all egalitarian when they raise the offer by a million or a million-and-a-half.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:00 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Pokecheque wrote:
Avs are publicly stating they want Mikko to sign long term for around $8.4 million. That ain't gonna get the job done, and I'm pretty sure they know that. Possibly a little PR/negotiation spin so they look all egalitarian when they raise the offer by a million or a million-and-a-half.
$8.4M Cap hit over 8 years? You are right that's not enough. One short term problem for the Avs is how much cap space they actually have right now.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:38 am 

Three preseason games, three losses thus far. This last one was not unexpected though. They iced the B-squad against a veteran-laden Wylde team, and only lost 4-3. Timmins once again looked great, there's a legit chance he may make the opening night roster.

Pierre-Edouard Bellemare somehow got hurt so he's day-to-day. :roll:

Haven't actually seen him play but Avs fans who have are saying nothing but negative things about Andre Burakovsky. This is dude's last chance to make an impression in the NHL. If he can't get it done on a fairly talented Avs squad it's likely back to Europe for him. I'm guessing he's headed back to Europe...but it's early yet I guess.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:48 pm 

Avs finally get a preseason win, and lo and behold they manage to survive OT and get it in the shootout! Kadri and Landeskog both score on their attempts.

Again, it doesn't count, but it's still nice to know they won't go winless

Couple notes of concern--Burakovsky continues to struggle despite great talent. The power play, dating back to last postseason, has gone something like 0-for-20. I imagine they'll figure these things out in due time but yeesh, it should be super-simple to get a power play with Cale Makar, Nathan MacKinnon, Gabriel Landeskog, and Nazem Kadri to work properly.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:10 pm 

Some minor transactions. Nick Henry, whom I'm actually fairly bullish on, was sent down to the Eagles just in time for the opening of their training camp. I'm sure quite a few more players will be joining them soon.

Colin Campbell was also released from his PTO.

No word on the Rants front. :evil:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:17 pm 

Some media news...BSN has rebranded themselves as "DNVR" which, as some have pointed out, looks suspiciously like "DAZN." Even the logo looks similar.