OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:10 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Chris18 wrote:
Personally, I would LOVE to see him win it on Saturday! LGR!!!

I must be way late to the party--why do you despise the Blue Jackets? Did Jarmo make fun of your favorite band Staind or something?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:58 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Pokecheque wrote:
Chris18 wrote:
Personally, I would LOVE to see him win it on Saturday! LGR!!!

I must be way late to the party--why do you despise the Blue Jackets? Did Jarmo make fun of your favorite band Staind or something?

:lol: Well, I actually don't "hate" the Blue Jackets. But they did steal Dubielewicz through waivers when the Isles really needed him, so fuck them. And I'd love to see them eat shit since they pulled the total "go for it" at the trade deadline.

But my statement was actually a reference to the Rangers beating the Penguins tonight so the Isles finish in 2nd for sure, getting home ice advantage for at least 1 round. So it was just totally selfish, for which the hockey gods will probably smite me, causing the Isles to lose like 5-0 and the Penguins to win 5-1 or in a SO... Pens already have a 1 game advantage in ROW, so even that would drop the Isles a spot. And that would totally be an Islanders thing to happen.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:51 pm 

Well, whether it's by plan, or just dumb luck, or a combination of the two, the Rangers might be putting it together properly.

They just quietly signed top goaltending prospect Igor Shestyorkin and their first rounder from last year, winger Vitali Kravtsov, who project to be a star-level player himself.

All that along with Kaapo Kaako...they could bring some real weapons to bear.

No idea what all this means for The King. He didn't have a very good season, was essentially outplayed by Alexandar Georgiev. If Shestyorkin is as good as advertised, the rebuild may have to continue without him.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:47 am 
Big in Japan

Two years left for Hank, so I assume Igor is ok playing one season in Hartford. A bit like Samsonov in Wash, who came over expected to get the backup gig and spent the whole season in the AHL. The season after that is anyone's guess.

The big thing here, in addition to all their young guys, is Zibanejad finally putting it all together and becoming a low-level star. Another stellar move by the Sens!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:10 pm 
Big in Japan

Rags speed up the rebuild ever so slightly, getting Adam Fox from the Canes for a 2nd and conditional 3rd.

Fox, originally acquired in the Lindholm/Hamilton deal, said he wouldn't sign with the Canes and go back to school for his senior year. It's expected he'll sign now.

The general feeling is he's ready to go pro.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:49 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Rags speed up the rebuild ever so slightly, getting Adam Fox from the Canes for a 2nd and conditional 3rd.

Fox, originally acquired in the Lindholm/Hamilton deal, said he wouldn't sign with the Canes and go back to school for his senior year. It's expected he'll sign now.

The general feeling is he's ready to go pro.

Someone on NHL Radio said that if Fox plays over 30 NHL games next season, that conditional 3rd becomes another 2nd.

I dunno...the Rangers track record with NCAA free agents (Hayes, Vesey, Gilroy, etc.) has been spotty at best. Not saying Fox was a bad pickup, but I still think their expectations regarding these types of prospects is a tad too high.

On the other hand I continue to be rather impressed with Don Waddell's 2nd run as an NHL GM.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:33 pm 

Not that he was a roster player, but I find it odd that the Canes would make a trade during a playoff series. Just seems weird.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:38 pm 
Big in Japan

On Montreal sports radio the other day, Aaron Ward seemed pretty darn sure EK wants to be the big star on Broadway. Basically laughed off the Tampa suggestion.

It makes sense, you knew the Rags couldn't resist a shiny piece to sell tickets. Hank has two years left, and they can really go for it in 2020-21 if he's up for it and with all their young guns.

They're also in a weird position where they have a bunch of pending UFAs who are actually worth something: Kreider, Namestnikov, Vesey, Fast could net them another few picks and prospects, and none of them are essential to the rebuild.

It'll be interesting to see who from Kravtsov, Andersson, Chytil, Howden, Fox, Hajek, Lindgren take a step forward.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:57 pm 

Set to get Kaapo Kaako, this Friday, the Rangers have also bolstered their blueline with the acquisitions of Trouba and Fox. They still have some dead weight on the blueline to deal with (Staal, Smith, Shattenkirk) and will likely have to buy at least one of them out to avoid getting screwed in the expansion draft, but the future looks bright. I would think the more prudent move would be to now focus on re-upping RFAs and staying the course, but the Rangers aren't really known for prudence. I definitely thought they were not being nearly ambitious enough in their teardown during the season but since the deadline have appeared to make some smart moves toward being a real contender. Doesn't hurt that the draft lottery put them in very good position.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:35 pm 

Lost in the shuffle of the Artemi Panarin signing, the Rangers quietly traded Jimmy Vesey to the Sabres for a 3rd round pick.

I think the NHL is finally figuring out the whole NCAA free agency thing. If you're looking for relatively inexpensive depth, this is a good way to get it. If you're looking for impact players, probably not the place to look.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:37 pm 

Buchnevich and Trouba both file for arbitration. Rangers really need to work to avoid those hearings, especially in Boosh's case--things aren't exactly hunky dory between player and organization there to begin with.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:31 pm 
Big in Japan

Pokecheque wrote:
Buchnevich and Trouba both file for arbitration. Rangers really need to work to avoid those hearings, especially in Boosh's case--things aren't exactly hunky dory between player and organization there to begin with.

With Trouba likely getting a long-term deal in the 7M range, I think Boosh is on the block. Namestnikov named in rumours too. Kreider maybe.

Too late to move Shattenkirk, I would think.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:10 pm 
Big in Japan

Trouba gets 7x8M.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:42 pm 

Pavel Buchnevich signs a 2-year deal for $3.2 million AAV. As you can see, he's thrilled to be back.
https://nypost.com/2019/07/26/rangers-a ... year-deal/
So now the 2nd buyout window opens. Rangers will either have to buy out Kevin Shattenkirk or deal Chris Kreider to become cap compliant. They could also buy out one of Brendan Smith or Marc Staal but those don't yield the same cap savings.

It also appears Brendan Lemieux and Anthony DeAngelo will have to sign their QO's because the Blueshirts got no money for 'em. I think they'd be better off just dealing them away for nothing, but that's just me.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:57 pm 

And to no one's surprise, Kevin Shattenkirk will be bought out. Apparently they have to wait until one minute past midnight in order to do it. Why? Because the league is fucking weird, that's why.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:07 pm 
Big in Japan

That 6M hit next season for Shatty is pretty rough.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:31 pm 

E.L. wrote:

They probably should've just bought out someone else (hello Staal brother no one talks about) but I guess they wanted to take out the guy they thought was a big fat bust.

Sad situation all around. One of the few ACTUAL "hometown discounts" that ever took place, and Shatty ends his tenure with the team he dreamed of playing for as a kid with two underwhelming, injury-plagued seasons and a buyout.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:30 am 

Pokecheque wrote:
E.L. wrote:

They probably should've just bought out someone else (hello Staal brother no one talks about) but I guess they wanted to take out the guy they thought was a big fat bust.

Sad situation all around. One of the few ACTUAL "hometown discounts" that ever took place, and Shatty ends his tenure with the team he dreamed of playing for as a kid with two underwhelming, injury-plagued seasons and a buyout.

Ranger fans talk about Mark Staal all the time. As in "get the fuck rid of Staal! He's useless!"

And I agree, the Shattenkirk-Ranger story is a sad one overall. Although I am of course glad to see them buy him out.