OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:26 am 

Got to feel bad for Faithful, averaged 516 score over the last two weeks, tops of all of us. Yet had the bad luck to run into the top point getter each week.

I on the other hand in a last day act of desperation as I was projecting to lose to Faithful dropped Duclair and Boone to pick up two players who were playing on Sunday. Novak/Moore ran up 25 points for me, quite the lucky breakout.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:58 am 
King of Men

Well if you are around on the hockey board you got to witness a comical Butch/Trump post about the stolen QF matchup we had. I wish he was still around to add a side of color to this place but that's all we get now. I did somehow manage to pull it out on the last game of the matchup with the players I had. Looks like its another tug of war affair this week with the Professor.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:04 am 
King of Men

Well looks like the Professor and I are pegging our way to a league championship.

Too bad for the tookus as he is back to piling up points again while everyone else struggles. Hard to believe the Tookus ended up battling Hounsy for the 5th place spot. Its also hard to believe that the old man and the faithful could end up 8th. Yikes!

Let's hope the Bruins don't follow this model!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:15 am 

harmfuljays wrote:
Well looks like the Professor and I are pegging our way to a league championship.

Too bad for the tookus as he is back to piling up points again while everyone else struggles. Hard to believe the Tookus ended up battling Hounsy for the 5th place spot. Its also hard to believe that the old man and the faithful could end up 8th. Yikes!

It amuses me that Stay in Your Laine has a good shot of being third. A matter of timing. Speaking of timing, considering the lucky run Tom has been on all year I can't see Harmy pulling out the win, despite his projected lead this week. I doubt Tom's luck runs out now.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 1:45 pm 
King of Men

Fogghorn wrote:
harmfuljays wrote:

It amuses me that Stay in Your Laine has a good shot of being third. A matter of timing. Speaking of timing, considering the lucky run Tom has been on all year I can't see Harmy pulling out the win, despite his projected lead this week. I doubt Tom's luck runs out now.

Agree.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 10:16 am 

Congratulations Harmy! You got hot at the right time and had a great end of the season run. Then somehow managed to overcome Tom in the end. Well done.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 10:44 am 
King of Men

That's it folks. The Indifference Makers aka Mr. Sunday comes off the mat to overcome the Faithful, Soft Butch, and finally Glitz to take home the 2022-3 Les douches de compagne Championship. We'll get words from this improbable winner later. For now lets recap the playoffs.....but not the consolation rounds..sorry guys.

Week 22, The Quarter Finals, started off with a bang with teams seeded 2, 3 and 4 finding their way to the consolation bracket.

Week 22 saw the Faithful Go Nuts (4) take on the Indifference Makers (5). A family affair this father/son matchup was a high scoring back and forth with the Makers pulling away later in the week led by Hagel, Nichuskin and Stutzle. The Faithful were led by Auston Matthews putting up 60 plus and Jeremy Swayman with 57. Both teams scored over 500 points and the Faithful would have won 2 of the other matchups over higher seeded teams.

Glitz and the intangibles (1) romped over Hudson's team (8). I thought Hudson might have a shot at this one but he as was the case this year he had a lot of no shows on his team for the week that couldn't help out Nate Mckinnon with 68 points. Meanwhile the Glitz got 71 points out of Zibanejad and 61 out of Keandre Miller. Draisaitl and Verhage did their usual and the Professor cruised to a 125 point victory.

The Not So Tight Tookus (3) lost a close one to the artist formerly known as the Bills, but now Soft Butch (6). A disappointing outcome for the Tookus who reigned supreme all year. A few momentary weekly lapses for his team saw any hopes at a championship disappear. The Tookus was led by a constant Mikko Rantannen and a reawakening of Pastrnak and Ovechkin. Unfortunately some other fellows decided it was their week to relax. Soft Butch meanwhile had a decent team output being led by Jake Dekrusk, Mitch Marner and Walt’s Oldest son. Some deft managing out of the Dude to squeak out points may have been the difference in this one. Fun fact, Evan Rodrigues was on both squads during the week doing very little.

In our biggest upset of the first run Stay In Your Laine (7) disposes of NO YOU RELAX (2). I though the Relaxers were going to continue that upward climb and cruise right to the champioinship. Our blogger proves he knows his shit and uses a mix of young and old to make a charge. Panarin, Boldy, Petterson, Hischier and yes even the oft injured Patrick Laine got involved in this one. Also a strong showing in net for the Laine……who picked the right time to fire on all cylinders. The Relaxers didn’t have a bad showing being led by Jamie Benn, Walt’s younger son and Jack Eichel. Overall, a very good matchup where only a player or 2 on each team didn’t show.

Week 23 Semi-Finals

In our first matchup the Glitz and the Intangibles (1) took on Stay In Your Laine (7). I was a bit disappointed in this matchup as I was starting to believe the Laine was legit. Unfortunately, midway through the week there appeared to be points sitting on the bench for this one and a bit of a yahoo kerfuffle. Even though it may not have brought the Laine a victory it would have made it damn close. Either way the Professor, who has had an amazing run of luck this year to go with his great team, picks up the W. Boone Jenner is making his way onto everyone’s team….Draisaitl, Verhage, and a pair of Canucks in old besser and JT “poor attitude” Miller do the heavy lifting. On the other side Elias Petterson leads the way and rides the Nuckers current run under Ricky. We probably would have had Geiorgiev and Makar in there but…hey shit happens. Our blogger proved to everyone that his mix of old and faith in the new can pay off. He’s one to look out for next year folks!

Indifference Makers (5) survive a donnybrook with Soft Butchy (6). The Makers are about to earn their Mr. Sunday title with this one. Some truly active and engaging GMing on both sides of the house made this one a real battle. The Makers were not winning this matchup and somehow make a hail mary move for Lukkonen and Quinn on a Friday that turns out to be the difference. The Makers were down significantly Sunday going into the late games only to have Kempe, Kyrou, Buchnevich explode when necessary and steal one from Soft Butchy. Kempe, Crosby and Hellybuck star for the Makers while Walt’s older son, Tyson Barrie and old balls Tavares forged a path for the former Bills. I am sure it was quite shocking for Soft Butch when he felt he cemented it with his addition of Joseph Woll…confidently snoozing only to wake up to the bitter taste of defeat! Call the cops! Finally the Makers pick up a W against the Bills this year.

Week 24 Finals

And so it is that the Glitz (1) meet the Makers (5). The Makers did not beat the Glitz at all this year and they were not feeling confident in the edge of Fantasy Luck. This was a great matchup and saw back and forth all week. Once again on a Sunday being down large to the Glitz, the Makers (aka Mr Sunday) rally big and bring home the championship. As a championship match should be this came all the way down to the Flames game on Sunday night. Timely waiver management once again proved to be the difference in this one (over 50 points added) combined with high output in the goalie department from the Makers (over 100 Points). Only 3 forwards scored over 30 points for the Makers. On the other side of the fence Draisaitl continued to do his thing (75 points), Verhage, Reinhart and Tuch piled up the points for the Glitz but in goal his folks only managed 4.2 points…..ouch!

Which brings us back to the Makers who in his words can’t believe it. With some of the biggest busts of the year (Huberdeau, Weegar, Krug, Markstrom) they somehow decide to play hockey at the right time. Incredibly lucky waiver pickups also helped. Thank the maker for Sidney!

Here are the final standings:

Rank Team W-L-T Pct Pts Waiver Moves
*1 logo Indifference Maker 13-8-0 .619 8446.80 8 58
*2 logo Glitz and Intangibles 15-6-0 .714 8364.20 12 9
*3 logo Soft Butch (Dude/Duder) 10-11-0 .476 8479.10 10 72
*4 logo Stay in Your Laine! 10-11-0 .476 7492.00 6 7
*5 logo Not So Tight Tookus 14-7-0 .667 9062.70 11 48
*6 logo NO YOU RELAX! 14-7-0 .667 9193.70 4 20
*7 logo Hudson's Team 8-12-1 .405 7854.30 5 3
*8 logo The Faithful Go Nuts 14-7-0 .667 8851.30 7 69
9 logo Habless Habs 8-13-0 .381 7724.10 9 14
10 logo Sam's Astonishing Team 7-14-0 .333 6924.60 1 2
11 logo EA Sports Champion 6-14-1 .310 7654.10 2 10
12 logo Sofa king Rad 6-15-0 .286 6462.20 3 -

I appreciate everyone playing this year. We will make some tweaks next year and I hope to see you all back.

Till next year and a Bruins cup!

I leave you with some hot chocolate. :durr:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 12:05 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Damn, so close, but if you had told me I'd finish in 2nd place at the beginning of the year I'd have taken that easily.'

In the end, my run of insane luck finally ran out. Craig Anderson got hurt and Sergei Bobrovsky got sick (seriously, dude? Your team is fighting like hell for a wild card spot, your backup is the AHL guy and you're calling in sick!?!?!?! Unless you got COVID, get an IV, take some vitamin gummies and get your ass between the pipes!!!!!!) and yet it was somehow closer than I would've expected under those circumstances.

Fun times, sign me up for next year! And congrats to Harmy and the Indifference Makers!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 1:02 pm 
King of Men

Honestly, I think that's what carried me....I had a whole team of bros on fringe teams trying to make the playoffs (Pit, Cal, Wpg). Hellybuck got serious and so did Markstrom for a game or two. Huberdeau thought about showing up but just let Rasmus Andersson do it. And all the while, old balls Crosby is back there putting up consistent efforts (and giving the puck to Rackell). I was getting a bit concerned however because I was St Louis heavy and they started to check out.

Interesting about this league that even with the 12 teams the ability to farm the waiver wire...while time consuming.......could be a strategy that rewarded extremely active managers. Usually, I am a set and forget guy but I noticed a couple successful managers doing that this year and I finally got wise. Props to my wiley old man for shedding his retirement light on that.

I would say I am $75 richer but I am not because $45 of it was mine to begin with!

Good show everyone! Time to focus on that last week of REAL hockey.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 10:13 am 

It was fun, thanks for the effort Harmy. Its interesting that the first week of the season effectively cost me the championship. I was so looking forward to the draft, and then I missed it. I was really bummed out about being stuck with Yahoo selections which for me were really weighted to older players who I would have avoided if I was drafting. (Karlson; Pasta; Ovechkin) I was sulking and didn't check in and set the line up the first week, so I deservedly lost to Sofa King Rad 239 -258.

If I had checked in I would have been in first place at the end of the season. I would then have had Glitz's easy route to the final's and my playoff weeks of 470; 554; 592 would have cruised to an easy championship win. I also would have ended with a Platinum rating but still pretty happy with Gold rating as its only the second time I've done one of these.

Now the question for next year. Was the Yahoo drafting a one off fluke or is it actually better than I am? Should I show for draft day or just go off to my garden and let Yahoo do its thing?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 11:27 am 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Fogghorn wrote:
It was fun, thanks for the effort Harmy. Its interesting that the first week of the season effectively cost me the championship. I was so looking forward to the draft, and then I missed it. I was really bummed out about being stuck with Yahoo selections which for me were really weighted to older players who I would have avoided if I was drafting. (Karlson; Pasta; Ovechkin) I was sulking and didn't check in and set the line up the first week, so I deservedly lost to Sofa King Rad 239 -258.

If I had checked in I would have been in first place at the end of the season. I would then have had Glitz's easy route to the final's and my playoff weeks of 470; 554; 592 would have cruised to an easy championship win. I also would have ended with a Platinum rating but still pretty happy with Gold rating as its only the second time I've done one of these.

Now the question for next year. Was the Yahoo drafting a one off fluke or is it actually better than I am? Should I show for draft day or just go off to my garden and let Yahoo do its thing?

I accidentally let Yahoo run things and it somehow worked out for me, EXCEPT for goalies, but with some huge gambles I somehow got together something good enough to make it through nearly every week...until the end that is.

For the most part Yahoo does a good job with its rankings. I'd advise that no matter what, make sure you put certain guys on your do-not-draft list, guys who may not play the season due to injury or had some weird fluke year that throws off Yahoo's rankings.

Also, put in some pre-rankings for goalies because they always, ALWAYS go sooner than what their projected rank is. And remember, it's better IMO to get a good goalie on a shitty team than a bad goalie on a good team.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 12:38 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
Fogghorn wrote:

I accidentally let Yahoo run things and it somehow worked out for me, EXCEPT for goalies, but with some huge gambles I somehow got together something good enough to make it through nearly every week...until the end that is.

For the most part Yahoo does a good job with its rankings. I'd advise that no matter what, make sure you put certain guys on your do-not-draft list, guys who may not play the season due to injury or had some weird fluke year that throws off Yahoo's rankings.

Also, put in some pre-rankings for goalies because they always, ALWAYS go sooner than what their projected rank is. And remember, it's better IMO to get a good goalie on a shitty team than a bad goalie on a good team.

Goalies I found challenging. I started with Quick; Sorokin; Demko. Dropped Demko when he hit LITR, got rid of Quick early. Then eventually picked up Gustavsson and Skinner (really good pickups, thank you Hounsy and Butch), and finally Demko again. Watched Butch running 6 goalies which I thought was bit complex but decided my last Dman was pretty useless so decided to run the last several weeks with 4 goalies. However to do that you really have to manage your team daily. Only 2 goalie slots available for play, and too often I'd guess wrong on Thursday or Saturday about which two goalies would play, and would find one of them sitting and get zero points, while another on my bench was actually in play. Even with the occasional miss on goalie selection, it was still better than playing Pulok or Wallman or Schultz or another of those on the edge dmen that were dropped and picked up regularly. Hopefully with the changes Harmy makes that won't be such an issue next year.

And regarding the outcome of the one and only trade of Patrick Kane (458 points) vs Matt Duschene (453 points) well that was a pretty even trade. Actually Kane really sucked bad first two or three months. I dropped him at some point but he turned his season around quite well after I dropped him. Harmy grabbed him and I razzed him about it, not sure if he hung on to him but Kane turned into a good pickup for someone later on.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 11:51 pm 

Sorry for the ghosting guys. A project was suddenly put on my plate that took away my free time. I see that my psychic GM talents shone through.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6