OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 1:51 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Chris18 wrote:
Do you mean the NWHL? The old league?

Oh SHIT, why did I think he took over New York! He took over in MINNESOTA!

And they're doing quite well (2nd place behind Toronto) so I take back everything I said before.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:46 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Pokecheque wrote:
Chris18 wrote:
Do you mean the NWHL? The old league?

Oh SHIT, why did I think he took over New York! He took over in MINNESOTA!

And they're doing quite well (2nd place behind Toronto) so I take back everything I said before.

:lol:

Yeah, NY still sucks. :-(

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:51 am 

Thought this was cool-

Liliane and Jacob Perreault - siblings playing pro hockey. She's on Montreal's PWHL team and he's on the Laval Rocket.

Jessie Compher (PWHL Toronto) and her brother J.T. Compher (Detroit Red Wings) are another sister/brother combination.

Had the women's league been around long ago, the Granatos could have been on this list. As I write that I realize the Kessels were a few years ago. She was in the NWHL/PHF while Phil was in the NHL. Not sure about others.

The Kunins, Luke (Sharks) and Sophia (Minnesota), are a married couple playing in the NHL & PWHL respectively. No pressure on any kids they have... :lol:

Pretty James Reimer's wife played in the NWHL too. Or maybe it was another goalie. I forget now. Either way, that was his wife, hopefully not also his sister. :D

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:20 pm 
OTP Historian

Matt and Shannon Moulson, too.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:45 pm 

Bosc wrote:
Matt and Shannon Moulson, too.

And Matt's Bro-in-law is Jonathan Quick. No pressure on that next generation... :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:22 pm 

I don't know if NY kept their own playoff hopes alive or ruined Boston's, but they beat 5th place Boston last night in regulation, 3-2. Fun game.

5 games left for all teams. Chance for 0 to 15 points for everyone. Once eliminated, teams earn points towards the lottery draft with standings points earned, to keep them from tanking.

Toronto 36 points 6 points to clinch a playoff spot.
Minnesota 35 points
Montreal 31 points
Ottawa 27 points 8 points for Ottawa eliminates NY.
Boston 22 points. Tragic number is 10.
New York 20 points Looks bleak. Tragic number is 8.

Looks like the schedule has everyone playing each other team in their remaining 5 games. That's good scheduling! Although I was hoping NY would play Boston and Ottawa 2x each to have a better shot at making it. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:25 am 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

New York built a younger team, Toronto went older. We got season tickets here in Toronto so we were a bit concerned but obviously the older players still have it with Natalie Spooner owning this league to date.

I’ve been able to attend half the games. Last part of the schedule is conflicting with the playoffs for the other Toronto pro hickey clubs so we’ll see if that’s all for me. The wife has found friends to attend games with sometimes, or just straight up sell both seats to.

Crowds are great. We sit in front of a group of older ladies that bought the tickets for their nights out together. Some like the Leafs/NHL and others couldn’t care less about it but are full in on the women. It’s great to be present for their inside jokes and off the cuff rants.

Oh, I was the first to bring the “SOOOOUUUUUPPPP” chants to the PWHL for Kristen Campbell in net. Got some looks at first but that tradition has fully been brought over.

I do enjoy the “Mal-tais, Maltais Maltais Maltais, Em-ma… Maltais” chant to “Ole” as well.

Fun to just be a fan again.

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:03 am 

That's cool! We thought about season tix, but with NY playing most of their games 90 minutes away on Long Island, it's quite a haul for us. I thought we'd get to more of the Bridgeport games since that's around one hour (far less traffic, no tolls, cheaper parking too), but they've almost all been on weeknights. Not happening, unfortunately.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:13 am 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

Scheduling has been good. They’ve avoided back-to-backs this first year. Interesting because you can just basically run with one goalie until they get hurt. Toronto finally started their backup one game before the break and she got first star, but you could tell it was more of a “thank you for working hard and staying ready” start than a “we need a game from you” start.

I have a soft spot for NY because of personal connections through working with a player’s wife and another player’s dad on that team. They went younger so hopefully that pays off better in future years. Not sure how the league works for free agency and such yet obviously.

I do think they are gunning for that team to be on Long Island full time.

We’ll see here if they try and book Scotiabank Arena for playoff games or if they stick to the old Gardens which has very limited capacity. With the Raptors missing the playoffs there may be dates available. They can’t book at the Marlies rink because of high rent costs and lack of locker rooms.

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:23 pm 

With tonight's loss to Montreal, New York becomes the first PWHL team eliminated from playoff contention. :cry: