OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 4:34 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Bosc wrote:
Really? It's not like the Avs didn't have probably the greatest of all time at this very skill who is also one of your favorite players of all time ;)

Well, there's a difference. Ray was amazing at blasting shots from the point, Makar is almost more about making plays. I don't even think Ray could have threaded that through an onrush of Sharks AND Avs players to somehow bounce onto Landeskog's stick for the OTGWG in the nanosecond he had to do that. Could have very easily been a turnover and break the other way.

Getting shots through traffic is one hell of a skill, and so many NHL defensemen don't have it. Erik Johnson and Nikita Zadorov are terrible at it despite possessing powerful releases. Tyson Barrie has learned it over time and it's elevated his game immeasurably. I think the best I've ever seen though, is Sheldon Souray.

Nevertheless I don't recall the last time I was this excited about a single hockey player. 4 of his 6 points in the NHL so far have been on game-winners, including his very first shot and goal in the Calgary series. If the Avs had chosen not to bring him up they quite possibly don't move onto round 2, and they most definitely don't take this series to 7 games.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 12:31 pm 
OTP Historian

Pokecheque wrote:
Bosc wrote:
Really? It's not like the Avs didn't have probably the greatest of all time at this very skill who is also one of your favorite players of all time ;)

Well, there's a difference. Ray was amazing at blasting shots from the point, Makar is almost more about making plays. I don't even think Ray could have threaded that through an onrush of Sharks AND Avs players to somehow bounce onto Landeskog's stick for the OTGWG in the nanosecond he had to do that. Could have very easily been a turnover and break the other way.

Getting shots through traffic is one hell of a skill, and so many NHL defensemen don't have it. Erik Johnson and Nikita Zadorov are terrible at it despite possessing powerful releases. Tyson Barrie has learned it over time and it's elevated his game immeasurably. I think the best I've ever seen though, is Sheldon Souray.

Nevertheless I don't recall the last time I was this excited about a single hockey player. 4 of his 6 points in the NHL so far have been on game-winners, including his very first shot and goal in the Calgary series. If the Avs had chosen not to bring him up they quite possibly don't move onto round 2, and they most definitely don't take this series to 7 games.

Ray was insane.

https://www.hockey-reference.com/leader ... areer.html

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 6:20 pm 

No argument here. One of the best of all time.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 9:04 am 
OTP Historian

Pokecheque wrote:
No argument here. One of the best of all time.

Just noticed Al MacInnis up there at #5. A career unblocked shot rate list would be interesting :lol:

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 9:14 am 
King of Men

This is the type of thing I don't like in the new NHL (among many other things). Goal disallowed by a stupid replay on a dumb rule. The f'n bench door is on the wrong side for Pete's sake.

Whatever I guess. Seems the NHL is gifting the Sharks at opportune times. I mean who doesn't want to see Father Christmas face his old team that traded him as he rides off into the sunset!? iiam:

My wife was distraught but overall a good showing from the Avs after an early MacKinnon injury scare panic set in. Let's see who shows up for the World Championships. Future is bright in Colorado as long as ownership is willing to pay.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 1:29 pm 

It's a shitty, idiotic rule that needs to be eradicated to be sure, and I'm still incredulous that you can actually say that was "definitively" off-side. That said, the players know what the goddamn rules are and that was an inexcusably lazy, careless change by the Avs there. Not the first time that's happened this season either, but this time it literally cost them a goal. Good on Landy to take the blame there, and rightfully so. We're taught in youth hockey that no matter how tired your are, you get the fuck off the ice. I'm beside myself just how often it happens. And whoever was supposed to open the damned door also deserves a lion's share of the blame.

On a side note, it was a slow, careless, lazy change that nearly ended Brock Boeser's career. I don't care how hurt or tired you are, you can still jump over the boards or very quickly open and close a door.

But even then, it was clear who the better team was in this series, the one with four 30-goal scorers up front and two Norris-winning defensemen on the back end. And their one Achilles' Heel, the goaltending, stepped up at precisely the right time. But if you were gonna tell me in a series against an elite team that the Avs were going in with two 20-year-olds as their top pairing, Erik Johnson largely a no-show, Carl Soderberg nowhere to be seen, the top line playing hurt, Matt Calvert going down with an apparent concussion, Tyson Barrie struggling, and an invisible Derick Brassard until the final two games AND take this Sharks team to a full 7 games right down to the last minute...I'd have taken that any day. And they had to do it winning at least one game in the Shark Tank, where they NEVER win.

Absolutely thrilled with this playoff run because it doesn't feel like a fluke this time around. Obviously not a guarantee they'll be back next year for sure, but there's way more optimism this time around.

Now the offseason begins. Lots and lots of optimism heading into next year, but Sakic has some work to do.

San Jose has every chance to win it all, though I wouldn't bet on them getting past St. Louis. Should be a very, very physical affair. I'm looking forward to it, despite the disappointing ending.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 1:32 pm 

Broncos fans remember Michael Dean Perry's lazy mistake in the most infamous playoff loss in that team's history, an incident so embarrassing he opted not to retire like he planned and came back for another season. Even though he didn't pan out, the Broncos learned from that horrible mistake and won the Super Bowl the next year. I hope Landeskog and the Avs learn from that incident, and I think they will. It's no use blasting the dumb rule, dumb as it is. This was an entirely preventable error, and they know it. You can't be careless like that in a Game 7 with the Western Conference Final on the line.