OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:15 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Various replies:
EL- only Isles fans know how good Nelson, Bailey and Lee are/have been. That's why it's very annoying when fans of other teams say the Isles never got anyone for Tavares to play with. They're all streaky, but what scorers aren't?

Av- I assume you're alluding to the news that Boychuk's foot is broken and he's out 3-4 weeks. Big loss of leadership, but Hickey will step in and get a chance. He's been good before. He doesn't have a shot like Boychuk, but he's smarter and a more mobile.

Fogg- I absolutely believe a coach can derail a player's development. I think it happens all the time at younger levels, which is where the development really matters. Coaches have their types of players. For some it's a scorer, others want size/grit. If a kid doesn't show up with what they want, they tend to look past them or change their game to something they just aren't. I knew a kid who was incredibly skilled at scoring. When he got to college his coach wanted everyone to be "tough to play against". Screamed at the kid all the time to hit more. The kid could have probably lead the league in scoring, but barely played because he was always benched for not playing with grit. Turn a first line type scorer into a 4th line grinder? Some coaches try to do it. Would that happen in the pros? See Mike Keenan vs Brett Hull. Sure, Hull was developed already, but that's half the point. Keenan was trying to change a 2nd generation NHL established all star. Imagine what a guy like that does to kids who are unknown.

In addition to Boychuk being out 3-4 weeks, Mayfield and Clutterbuck were given the classic "maintenance day" and missed practice today.