OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 9:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: US Open 2021
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:08 am 
King of the One-Liner

Surely some of the Canadians on here are watching. Canadians Leylah Fernandez( finals), felix auger aliassime(Semi-finals), and Gaby Dabrowski(Semi-finals) still playing.

First off so good watching Tennis again with the roar and tension of a live crowd. Underrated reason for break outs happening here, some people feed off a crowd and we've had a year and a half of not knowing which new players had that part in their tools.

The Woman's finals on Saturday is two teens who came into this US Open with a world ranking of #73 for Fernandez and #150 for Raducanu making it what I would think has to be one of if not the most improbable Slam finals. But again I wonder Fernandez had been playing to crowds and Reducanu had been dominating the Jr circuit instead of Covid happening maybe this would not seem as crazy.

Men's side still has semi finals to play and routing for Felix but he has a hill to climb as he has two of the best still standing between him and the finish line. Men's has not been my thing for sometime as it results feels like a foregone conclusion. But with Young Canadians making some noise watching more, just need a couple of these dominate players to retire already. :lol:

Then you still have Dabrowski getting forgotten in it all because so few are into doubles, but her and her Brazilian partner are into the Semi's and are the top ranked team remaining.

That is my mostly Canadian bias take so far.

Post subject: Re: US Open 2021
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 2:27 pm 
OTP Historian

I watched the sportsnet recap of the Fernandez semis and man...she looks like a ton of fun to watch. Doesn't look afraid to drop any kind of shot from anywhere.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:00 pm 

Tenacious. It's what her Dad kept teach - never give up. Keep fighting.

Btw - Raducanu was born in T.O..... so All-Canadian U.S. Open lol!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 5:39 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/04/29/worl ... woAQm7kroY

Sad news, I was quite fond of Boris Becker back when I made a habit of watching Wimbledon growing up. When I think back to those days I remember the aging-but-still-always-furious John McEnroe, Ivan Lendl, Andre Agassi, and my personal favorite, Michael Chang. And that was just the men's side. Becker also tended to be pretty entertaining even when he wasn't playing well.

Sounds like this was a mess of his own making, but it's still sad to read about nonetheless.