OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 196 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2019 MLB Thread
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:39 pm 
Big in Japan

I'm observing this whole Rays/Expos soap opera with intrigue and skepticism. Certainly not getting my hopes up and I'm trying to tune out the noise.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:39 am 
OTP Historian

E.L. wrote:
I'm observing this whole Rays/Expos soap opera with intrigue and skepticism. Certainly not getting my hopes up and I'm trying to tune out the noise.

I think my feelings on this can be summed up as "Well, we can't get one city to fund a stadium for 81 ones, I'm sure we won't have ANY problems getting TWO cities to pony up for stadiums for only half the games!"

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:02 am 
Big in Japan

Bosc wrote:
E.L. wrote:

I think my feelings on this can be summed up as "Well, we can't get one city to fund a stadium for 81 ones, I'm sure we won't have ANY problems getting TWO cities to pony up for stadiums for only half the games!"

Honestly, I think climate is making this thing more attractive because both cities can save on roofless parks. Baseball in Tampa in April, May, June will avoid rainy season and really hot season, while Montreal in July, August, September skips the increasingly snowy spring. October works for both.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:50 pm 
Big in Japan

Giants are .500 even though Belt's knees are done, Crawford and Buster are shadows of their former selves and Panik is straight up finished.

Alex Dickerson and Mike Yastrzemski (grandson of Carl) are the ones hitting. Been fun to watch.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:54 am 
Big in Japan

Needless to say this has ripped through the Montreal baseball community: https://montreal.ctvnews.ca/sportswrite ... -1.4515192

He moved back into my neighbourhood not long ago. I see him out all the time when I'm getting coffee etc.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:01 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

E.L. wrote:
Needless to say this has ripped through the Montreal baseball community: https://montreal.ctvnews.ca/sportswrite ... -1.4515192

He moved back into my neighbourhood not long ago. I see him out all the time when I'm getting coffee etc.

:shock: Jaysus...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:26 pm 
OTP Historian

Pokecheque wrote:
E.L. wrote:

:shock: Jaysus...

Seems like it has ripped through the entire baseball writing community, and it goes to show that you never really know somebody. It sucks because he was someone pretty outspoken about DV and widely liked but most of all this is fucking awful that his wife and kids have gone through/going through this.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:17 pm 

Troy Tulowitzki, the best shortstop in Rockies history (arguably, to this point, the best player in Rockies history) and one of the best at his position of all time, announces his retirement from baseball at the age of 34.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/troy-tu ... 02436.html

The Rox should retire his number (2), but it may be a while as he's still mad at ownership/management following his trade to Toronto. While the trade kinda/sorta had to happen, I'm mad that the Rox didn't get a single quality player out of it, and essentially wasted his prime years apart from one fluke run to the 2007 World Series.

My favorite Tulo moment will always be when my future wife and I were on a date sitting in the Rockpile at Coors Field, he came up with the bases loaded and I mentioned he was one of their best players. She asked right before the pitch "Can he hit?" and as if on cue BOOOOOOOM! Grand fucking slam. Truly exceptional player...so sad he didn't get his ring and injuries just imploded his career.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:41 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Just saw Barry Bonds. Dude's totally lost his jack. He looks good, was quite pleasant with people and seems happy. Who knew.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:45 am 
OTP Historian

Pokecheque wrote:
Troy Tulowitzki, the best shortstop in Rockies history (arguably, to this point, the best player in Rockies history) and one of the best at his position of all time, announces his retirement from baseball at the age of 34.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/troy-tu ... 02436.html

The Rox should retire his number (2), but it may be a while as he's still mad at ownership/management following his trade to Toronto. While the trade kinda/sorta had to happen, I'm mad that the Rox didn't get a single quality player out of it, and essentially wasted his prime years apart from one fluke run to the 2007 World Series.

My favorite Tulo moment will always be when my future wife and I were on a date sitting in the Rockpile at Coors Field, he came up with the bases loaded and I mentioned he was one of their best players. She asked right before the pitch "Can he hit?" and as if on cue BOOOOOOOM! Grand fucking slam. Truly exceptional player...so sad he didn't get his ring and injuries just imploded his career.

I was so fucking pumped when the Jays traded for him and he had some great moments, but it sucks that he just couldn't stay on the field.

Literally never played an inning at another position besides a handful of DH games.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:59 am 
Big in Japan

The 2015 Jays are long gone. Long live the 2015 Jays.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:21 am 
Big in Japan

Giants had an awesome deadline. Got some help for their wild card run but still managed to deal some bullpen depth for a few decent prospects. I'll take it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:02 am 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Dodgers year finally?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:17 pm 

Rockies did...nothing...as usual.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:02 pm 

Rox outfielder David Dahl once again gets hurt, and understandably the frustration is taking a psychological toll on him.

It's a shame because I think he'd be a superstar by now if injuries didn't keep derailing him. And they're always weird, fluke ones. Lost his spleen in a freak collision, stress fracture of a rib while swinging, etc.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:37 am 
Big in Japan

Pokecheque wrote:
Rox outfielder David Dahl once again gets hurt, and understandably the frustration is taking a psychological toll on him.

It's a shame because I think he'd be a superstar by now if injuries didn't keep derailing him. And they're always weird, fluke ones. Lost his spleen in a freak collision, stress fracture of a rib while swinging, etc.

Poor guy is Rocco Baldelli/Grady Sizemore-ing himself into an early retirement.

While not the same calibre of prospect, Steven Duggar has looked like a competent centre fielder and leadoff hitter in SF, but both times he got hot at the plate, he went down with shoulder injuries. Sad to see.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:28 am 
Big in Japan

The NL Wild Card race is looking to be a doozy. On Aug 13:

Nationals
Cardinals
Brewers -1.5
Mets -2.0
Phillies -2.0
DBacks -2.5
Giants -3.5
Reds -6.5

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:46 pm 
Big in Japan

Quebecer Abraham Toro gets called up by the Astros. He's going to be a good one. Canada's World Baseball Classic team in 2021 desperately needs bats, his could be their biggest bopper.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:24 pm 
Big in Japan

Pillar and Yastrzemski were not on the opening day roster or even in the organization at the time, but they've somehow managed to combine for 40 homeruns for the Giants this season.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:56 pm 
OTP Historian

E.L. wrote:
Quebecer Abraham Toro gets called up by the Astros. He's going to be a good one. Canada's World Baseball Classic team in 2021 desperately needs bats, his could be their biggest bopper.

And has a big hand in Justin Verlander's second no-hitter against the Jays. JV got a pretty awesome response from the crowd for his achievement owning the home team, too.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 196 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next