(Generation III)
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 10:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:02 pm 
OTP Historian

http://www.fromtherink.com/2009/2/7/752 ... -s-best-de

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:35 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Him and Ovechkin make the Caps one of the most fun teams to watch in the NHL. Spend the money if Washington's ever in town. On top of being a tremendous puckhandler he's one of the fastest skating blueliners I've ever seen. He made the Avs D looks glacial in comparison.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:30 am 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

Man, why couldn't the Habs have given me what I REALLY wanted back in 2004? At the time, Chipchura was at least a good consolation prize but man... now looking back they really blew it. How they could have this guy scouting the WHL recommend Chipchura over Green is just plain retarded.

I'm still waiting for Green's hipchecks to start coming into his NHL game. The dude is a mean hitter as well as everything else. I definitely wish I had more money back when he was a junior and saw him even more than I did. It's amazing how much he stood out. Stefan Elliott looks to be in his mold as well, but he still isn't worthy of holding Green's jock.

Did I mention I miss seeing Green play in Saskatoon?

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:22 pm 
OTP Historian

saskhab wrote:
Man, why couldn't the Habs have given me what I REALLY wanted back in 2004? At the time, Chipchura was at least a good consolation prize but man... now looking back they really blew it. How they could have this guy scouting the WHL recommend Chipchura over Green is just plain retarded.

I'm still waiting for Green's hipchecks to start coming into his NHL game. The dude is a mean hitter as well as everything else. I definitely wish I had more money back when he was a junior and saw him even more than I did. It's amazing how much he stood out. Stefan Elliott looks to be in his mold as well, but he still isn't worthy of holding Green's jock.

Did I mention I miss seeing Green play in Saskatoon?

I keep thinking back to when you said that you weren't sure how Green's game would translate into the NHL. Maybe not the old NHL, but man...in the new one...

As a coach, if I knew a young player already had the ability to hit in his game, I wouldn't want him to utilize it right away. The speed of the game in the NHL is much faster, and it's much easier to get out of position. Let him get used to the speed, let him concentrate on his work in his own zone and when he's ready and comfortable and won't put himself out of position with big hits, let em loose.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:37 pm 

I do remember those thoughts, and my thinking was that he'd likely end up a Daryl Sydor type at the NHL level. I can also say with complete honesty that he never QBed a PP at the WHL level the way he does now. But I never thought of him as a completely one dimensional offensive dynamo, my feelings for his game were always a guy who could play a good game at both ends and have his speed really help a transition game. Maybe a more regular sized Brian Rafalski was his high point.

E.L. has said that seeing Brian Campbell's emergence changed the way he thought about d-men, and it's safe to say that pre-lockout Green wouldn't have emerged as the same caliber of player as he is right now.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:40 pm 
OTP Historian

Green is currently gunning for the consecutive-goal scoring streak by a defenseman, 7 games, held by a defenseman that you wouldn't quite expect...

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=408716

Quote:
Washington Capitals defenseman Mike Green admits he won't be gripping the stick any tighter than he normally does when the puck is dropped at Madison Square Garden on Wednesday against the Rangers.

However, the adrenaline will be pumping.

That's because Green is currently on a six-game goal-scoring rampage and needs one more against the Blueshirts to equal the mark set by Boston's Mike O'Connell for most consecutive goals scored by a defenseman in NHL history.

"Yeah, it would definitely mean something to equal that mark, but I'm not going to put any pressure on myself if it doesn't happen," Green told NHL.com. "It won't be the end of the world, but it would be nice to be in the record books for something. Hopefully it works out, but I'm not going to go out and try and change my game to break a record."

O'Connell, who is currently working in player development for the Los Angeles Kings, enjoyed a standout 13-year NHL career as a defenseman with the Bruins, Detroit Red Wings and his hometown Chicago Blackhawks. His record seven-game goal-scoring streak was established as a Bruin during the 1983-84 season.

Green became the first NHL defenseman in nearly a quarter-century to score a goal in six straight, registering 7 goals and 14 points over that span. He was also named the NHL's Third Star for the second consecutive week after posting 7 points (4 goals) in 3 games. If the 23-year-old Green can match the record against the Rangers, he'll get his opportunity to break the mark Saturday in Tampa Bay.

"I think I'm starting to feel confident and more comfortable," Green said. "In the beginning when you first start out in the League, you're fighting for a spot or trying to get your minutes up. But now I feel I have a role and I feel comfortable and, not only that, (Washington coach) Bruce (Boudreau) gives me the freedom to do what I can do and that's key as a player. When there are no limitations on you, you can really excel and he's given me that free range."

Boudreau admits Green isn't given any special preferential treatment when it comes to getting the green light to motor off the transition.

"The (other defensemen) have got the light, too, but some of them just can't go as fast," said Boudreau. "There's a difference between a Volkswagen and a Lamborghini."

"That's an interesting comparison," Green said, grinning.

The fourth-season performer, who leads all defenders in the League in goals (19), power-play goals (14) and points (47) through 41 games, is bidding to become the first Washington blueliner to lead the League in points by a defenseman since Sergei Gonchar tied for the League-lead in 2001-02 with 59.

"I think he's an unbelievable player and a great skater with great hockey sense," Washington forward Tomas Fleischmann said. "His shooting is awesome and coach Boudreau gives him a lot of confidence. Mike knows he can do it and he does it."

Green is currently six points better than Montreal's Andrei Markov, who has 7 goals and 41 points. Perhaps even more remarkable is the fact that the Capitals are 27-10-3 with Green in the lineup and 7-6-0 when their defensive star is sidelined by injury. He missed 13 games during parts of November and December with a bum shoulder this season.

"He has a lot of speed and always follows the forwards into the offensive zone," Caps forward Nicklas Backstrom said. "That makes him special and, on top of that, it's been great that he helps us by scoring all those goals."

The list:

Quote:
Longest goal-scoring streaks in one season by a defenseman
PLAYER SEASON GAMES
Mike O'Connell (BOS) 1983-84 7
Harry Mummery (MTL) 1920-21 6
Bobby Orr (BOS) 1971-72 6
Barry Beck (COL) 1977-78 6
Ray Bourque (BOS) 1983-84 6
Mike Green (WSH) 2008-09 6

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:23 pm 
OTP Historian

He just did.

20th on the season and in 7 straight games. Snapper top shelf from the right circle.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:51 am 

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=273464

Quote:
Green scored twice on power plays less than 1 1/2 minutes apart to become only the eighth defenceman in NHL history with 30 goals in a season, Alex Ovechkin added his NHL-leading 54th marker, and the Capitals beat the New York Islanders 5-3 on Wednesday night.

30 goals. From a defenseman. That's just plain ridiculous.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:57 am 
OTP Historian

Av I was just posting that :)

He did it in only 63 games as well. His pace would put him at 39 over a full 82-gamer.

He's the first defenseman to hit the 30-goal mark since Kevin Hatcher for the Caps in 92-93.

Is this the year Lidstrom doesn't claim the Norris? He plays against greater competition than Green(but with a better quality of team) and plays top PP, PK and is always out against the top opposition. A 17-point gap and 30 goals are glaring numbers, though :(

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:07 am 

Green doesn't play against the toughest of competition, but he's very dominant against who he plays. He probably could handle tougher competition.

You know who'd get my vote. :woop:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:11 pm 
Rebel Sell + Moneyball = Life

BoscUlrichIII wrote:

He did it in only 63 games as well. His pace would put him at 39 over a full 82-gamer.

He's the first defenseman to hit the 30-goal mark since Kevin Hatcher for the Caps in 92-93.

When you calculate the goal deflation since then, too, Green has basically scored about 40 goals in 92-93 "dollars".

That is nuts.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:49 pm 
OTP Historian

Jyrki21 wrote:
BoscUlrichIII wrote:

When you calculate the goal deflation since then, too, Green has basically scored about 40 goals in 92-93 "dollars".

That is nuts.

Green probably has the best wrist shot in a defenseman I've seen since Bourque.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:11 am 

http://www.fromtherink.com/2009/4/6/824 ... atest-goal

Green's scoring pace is the second most impressive goal scoring campaign by a d-man of all time, behind Bobby Orr's 46 goal campaign. This takes into account each player's goals per game pace and weighted against the average goals per game in the NHL that year, which is why Paul Coffey's record 48 goal season is not considered better.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 1:39 pm 

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 9043004205

More Mike Green love... or the kind of love parents provide. I remember seeing his dad at Blades games.

It's interesting to think just how Green and Boudreau helped each other. I think it can be argued that Boudreau never would have gotten to the NHL if not for Mike Green, and Mike Green never would have been the player he was without Boudreau.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 2:21 pm 

Great article.

Quote:
Still, he was happiest with the Bears. Glen Hanlon, a former NHL goaltender, was the coach of the Capitals, and his conservative style didn't mesh with Green's more creative, push-the-puck-up-the-ice ways. Bruce Boudreau was the coach in Hershey, and, as Green said, "He understood me."