OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 226 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 5:34 pm 

Was hoping that the Hronek deal would get better with a few days rest. It hasn't, its actually sitting worse with me. The Nucks are now way over the cap for next season. They are going to be forced to let FA's walk, or trade away players at a discount to get under. Being in a position where you are forced to make a deal is a bad place to negotiate from. This is so like a Benning move, it reeks desperation.

The fans over at Canucks forums were in a rage, or just baffled and disappointed. But huge 120 page response to the deal in less than a day.

Canuck's army have been bashing this deal in a way that I've never seen them. Of the 5 negative articles this one is really the best. It points out managements waffling and inconsistency and complete lack of clarity on objectives.
Quote:
“Concerning” that a year after the club’s president said, “it’s not the cycle we’re in to trade high draft picks,” they were trading two top-40 picks at sky-high deadline costs for immediate “win-now” pieces.
“Disappointing” that the same President of Hockey Operations, who said that “being up against the cap and a team that’s not in the playoffs at this point in time is not a good thing,” became one of five non-playoff teams to add $10-million in cap commitments through next season and beyond.
Of the teams sitting above Vancouver in league standings but below the playoff bar by points percentage, only two other teams made “win-now” moves that incurred greater cap hits than what was given up, the Ottawa Senators and Buffalo Sabres. Of the teams below Vancouver in the standings, all five spent their deadline buildup acquiring picks and AHL “below-the-line” contracts to take on bad money for teams in playoff contention.

And then goes on to compare how the Canucks traded like a top team, and not like their peers at the bottom.

https://canucksarmy.com/news/analyzing- ... tive-peers

The Canucks could have been a 4-5 team on draft day, perhaps even top 3 if they did the tank well if they had traded like a bottom team should have. With Demko's return and the addition of Hronek, I expect they'll land in the 7-9 spot, out of range for those top 5 great prospects who look capable of being starters next season.

They are still a Benning team, trading away prospects, maxing out cap, just to get into the playoffs, instead of focusing on the rebuild and creating a team capable of winning a SC.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 11:53 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

I am actually surprised at how surprised everyone is by this sudden move. It's a massive corporation with a bunch of buffoons running the organization for the better part of 20 years. Serving of two masters. Of course they are taking the short view. Nothing will change until there is an ownership change.

It's in the best interest of all Canuck fans' health and well-being to just move on and watch the game for the pure enjoyment of it. Then hitch your wagon to a team you like in the playoffs when hockey is actually fun to watch.

Demko looked good tonight. It's amazing how elite goaltending can impact the confidence of a team.

Enjoy 40 and 43 while you can.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 8:39 am 
Vegemite Enthusiast

I still think this is a fun team to watch. I had so much fun watching tonight's game in fact. Petey and Miller with 2 shorties on the same powerplay! :haha: Could this have been a bonding moment?! I do think we'll finish out the season better than we'd like, Demko is looking very Demko like and I can't wish for anything else, just can't mess with a goalies confidence. Excited to see Hronek as well, is he conveniently out for the year? Was kinda hoping we would have 2 1st's to try and work a deal for 1 overall. Not sure what it will take. I'm actually just excited to watch Alvin make deals, when he got hired I guess I just thought he'd make some big deals and when he didn't and signed miller I thought here we go again too.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 8:52 am 
Vegemite Enthusiast

I might become the Tommy Larshied of this channel, I miss Tommy, I hated his bias as a kid growing up, but when I moved here I loved the fact that he was so pro canuck and just his love for them. I love seeing Jim Robson in the crowd sometimes too! Can complain about a lot of things but not the play by play guys we've had.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:16 am 
Vegemite Enthusiast

Holy Shit! Hughes is the fastest D-man to 200 assists in the NHL ever!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:24 am 

Well Oz, you do you! Sorry you're going to have to put up with the bitterness from the rest of us.

I do have to agree that Kuzmenko, EP40 and Hughes are very, very fun to watch. And Demko is definitely recovered from whatever plagued him and back to his normal all-star form.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 7:41 pm 
Vegemite Enthusiast

4 straight, I wonder if OEL will ever be able to come back from this injury or if he'll end his career on LTIR

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:49 am 

CanuckinOz wrote:
4 straight, I wonder if OEL will ever be able to come back from this injury or if he'll end his career on LTIR

lol, its the Canucks, when would they ever get lucky enough to have their most over payed player go LTIR. ;)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:05 pm 

Aidan McDonough completed uni, and has passed on free agency to play with the Nucks. No doubt the commitment to bring him straight to the NHL and knock off one year of limited agency helped that decision. A nice addition for a 6'4" winger who projects as a 2nd or 3rd line player.

https://canucksarmy.com/news/vancouver- ... -mcdonough

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:44 pm 

Quote:
Last night, in the Vancouver Canucks’ 2-1 win over the Anaheim Ducks, Hughes recorded assists on both of his team’s only goals. In doing so, he became the first NHL defenceman to record consecutive 60-assist seasons since Paul Coffey and Ray Bourque in 1993-94.

https://canucksarmy.com/news/6-wild-sta ... st-seasons

30 years since this has been done, and Coffey and Bourque are the comparables!! Hughes is so remarkable, but because he plays for such an awful team, just doesn't get the recognition. It seems to me that the Nucks are blessed with the two very best players to ever play for them, and are just going to waste their careers with incompetent ownership.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:26 am 
Old Man of the Post

I confess not being the greatest fan of JTM, but he's been playing solid hockey since Tocchet and his coaching staff have stepped in. Between Petey and him, they've stepped up and made up for any lack of scoring since the Horvat trade. He had two goals and three points in last night's loss against VGK, and they didn't look completely outclassed. This team has looked reasonably competitive (of course, when they have nothing to lose - except draft position) and it doesn't hurt that Demko has all but returned to form.

The VGK scouted the Canucks well - don't give Petey any time and space and double-team him if necessary and he can't burn you. But a reasonable special teams game wasn't enough to overcome some defensive gaffes and bad bounces. And it wouldn't be Canucks hockey if they didn't play well in meaningless games in March. 12 games left.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:02 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Dammit Bear, I've been stanning you all year and then you go and make a lazy, dumbass turnover to Phil the Thrill like that.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:08 pm 

the Cunning Linguist wrote:
I confess not being the greatest fan of JTM, but he's been playing solid hockey since Tocchet and his coaching staff have stepped in. Between Petey and him, they've stepped up and made up for any lack of scoring since the Horvat trade. He had two goals and three points in last night's loss against VGK, and they didn't look completely outclassed. This team has looked reasonably competitive (of course, when they have nothing to lose - except draft position) and it doesn't hurt that Demko has all but returned to form.

The VGK scouted the Canucks well - don't give Petey any time and space and double-team him if necessary and he can't burn you. But a reasonable special teams game wasn't enough to overcome some defensive gaffes and bad bounces. And it wouldn't be Canucks hockey if they didn't play well in meaningless games in March. 12 games left.

Tocchet has also increased the minutes for Hughes, EP40 and JTM. Makes them look good racking up stats, but is pants on head stupid in my opinion. Hurts the tank, and increases risk of injury for meaningless games.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:07 pm 
Vegemite Enthusiast

yeah it's pretty funny given that one of the things he said when he got here was that they were playing people like JT too much. Looking forward to seeing Hronek (hopefully next game)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:21 am 
Vegemite Enthusiast

Sad to see Garrett go, maybe not as sad as he was, but the banter between him and Shorty was pretty good sometimes! Any idea about who might get his role? Always happy to have the local call on the replays here.
Pretty excited for next year, our defense could actually be legit, especially if we get Schenn back.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:45 am 

Fogghorn wrote:
Tocchet has also increased the minutes for Hughes, EP40 and JTM. Makes them look good racking up stats, but is pants on head stupid in my opinion. Hurts the tank, and increases risk of injury for meaningless games.

Well, rightly or wrongly, Toc ain't gonna tank it anymore than the players want to, and they're doing precisely what management wants.

If they wanted to properly tank, they could have and should have dumped JTM's contract. The minute they chose not to, that was that. I will say that maybe, just maybe, keeping Kuzmenko was not a terrible idea.

Garrett is well-regarded in the hockey world, even Keith Olbermann gave him a shoutout last night. I obviously don't know much about the guy but I've learned the hard way that you should always appreciate good broadcasters and talking heads in sports. Because man, when they suck or are just mediocre, as I feel a lot of the national broadcast guys are, it makes for a tough watch.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 4:47 pm 
Old Man of the Post

Pokecheque wrote:
Fogghorn wrote:

Well, rightly or wrongly, Toc ain't gonna tank it anymore than the players want to, and they're doing precisely what management wants.

If they wanted to properly tank, they could have and should have dumped JTM's contract. The minute they chose not to, that was that. I will say that maybe, just maybe, keeping Kuzmenko was not a terrible idea.

Garrett is well-regarded in the hockey world, even Keith Olbermann gave him a shoutout last night. I obviously don't know much about the guy but I've learned the hard way that you should always appreciate good broadcasters and talking heads in sports. Because man, when they suck or are just mediocre, as I feel a lot of the national broadcast guys are, it makes for a tough watch.

I think they saw Kuzmenko as someone who could legit offset the loss of Horvat and it appears to be true. Tocchet using Huggy EP40 and JTM in all situations says more about their lack of options for PK duties than anything. But the initial returns after one game of Hronek seems to be positive - he had the most time on ice of any defenseman, but I imagine that had more to do with score effects.

It's nice to hear that Garrett is well-regarded - we've been very fortunate to have great people here on the Nucks broadcasts dating back to Jim Robson, Hughson, now Garrett and Shorty.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 11:32 am 

Damn. If Allvin had pulled this off...

https://twitter.com/pensyyc/status/1642 ... _&ref_url=

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 12:07 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
Damn. If Allvin had pulled this off...

https://twitter.com/pensyyc/status/1642 ... _&ref_url=

If they had done this, I'd probably be a fan of Allvin.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 8:44 pm 
Promoted from Lt. Chaos

Hey everyone! Been awhile! Off to watch the Nucks vs Kraken tonight. :viking: :kraken:

Hope everyone has been doing well.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 226 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next