OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 367 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 9:27 pm 
Old Man of the Post

Demmer looking fantastic in that retro jersey, even one-upping Captain Kirk.

Also, this. :lol: I'm sure the Phlegms will have their next home game against them circled in red.

Seriously, though, I thought the teams were reversed - the Flames couldn't do anything right, from their lack of discipline, to their permissive PK, and all kinds of RR gaps on defence. Clearly, Ian Clark's scouting was on point - everyone was going high stick side on Markstrom...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 1:09 pm 
Old Man of the Post

Hearing that Motte is actively being shopped, and listening on offers for Boeser, Garland, less so on JTM. Also hearing some noise about a culture problem with Horvat being included in that mix. Anyone know more about that?

Will accept a proverbial bag of used pucks for Halak (inconsistent), Poolman (IR), Hamonic (bad), and Dickinson (invisible).

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 3:22 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

the Cunning Linguist wrote:
Hearing that Motte is actively being shopped, and listening on offers for Boeser, Garland, less so on JTM. Also hearing some noise about a culture problem with Horvat being included in that mix. Anyone know more about that?

Will accept a proverbial bag of used pucks for Halak (inconsistent), Poolman (IR), Hamonic (bad), and Dickinson (invisible).

I read there was some major disconnect and discord between Miller and Horvat. That Miller, the more fiery, vocal leader, was kinda drowning out the more quiet and reserved Horvat. That was pre-Bruce, don't know if those divisions are still apparent.

The Canucks can and should move on from Horvat. The hockey mind who used to peruse these forums and now works in pro hockey said that was a bad pick from the get-go, and he's actually right. Horvat has some good aspects to his game but he's not nearly as good as his rep suggests, especially on defense. Keep Miller if you can, keep Boeser for sure, Pettersson, Quinn, Demko, Podkolzin and Hoglander obviously, dump everyone else.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 3:49 pm 
Big in Japan

I've heard Boeser and Miller rumours but little about Horvat. The Nucks need to figure this out, because they're all talented but not reaching their full potential as a team.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 5:39 pm 

Boeser is supposedly being dangled a lot, Miller they've cooled on trading. Time will tell.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2022 8:46 pm 
Old Man of the Post

I'm hearing that there's interest in Garland and Motte. Boeser's QO is in the mid-7M range so that makes it a little tough to trade. I hate to admit it but Horvat isn't as much of a driving force on offense as we'd like. And other than winning faceoffs, he doesn't add much defensively; it seems even Petterson gets more PK time these days than Horvat does.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 1:23 am 

If the Canucks deal Boeser and keep Miller Allvin is not much smarter than Benning.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 1:36 pm 
Old Man of the Post

I think they'll deal Motte (PK and quality 4th liner), Garland (draws penalties on the cheap), and Schenn (decent RH #7 d-man). Someone will take a flyer on Halak.

They'll have to trade one of Boeser, Horvat, or Miller, since they can't afford to re-sign all three.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 1:37 pm 
Old Man of the Post

Oh and Jake Virtanen has been cut loose by his KHL team.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 2:43 pm 

I think they'll deal Motte (PK and quality 4th liner), Garland (draws penalties on the cheap), and Schenn (decent RH #7 d-man). Someone will take a flyer on Halak.

They'll have to trade one of Boeser, Horvat, or Miller, since they can't afford to re-sign all three.

Don't want to see Motte gone, and that 4th line is really good, they shouldn't mess with what is working.

Hopefully its Miller, he's the best of the bunch but its 2 minimum that this team will be good. Probably 3-5 years are their ideal time frame and by that point Miller will be trending down. I could actually be fine with trading both Horvat and Miller, if the returns are young/cheap/high potential to be good.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 6:17 pm 
Old Man of the Post

Fogghorn wrote:
Don't want to see Motte gone, and that 4th line is really good, they shouldn't mess with what is working.

Hopefully its Miller, he's the best of the bunch but its 2 minimum that this team will be good. Probably 3-5 years are their ideal time frame and by that point Miller will be trending down. I could actually be fine with trading both Horvat and Miller, if the returns are young/cheap/high potential to be good.

I'd like to keep Motte but William Lockwood is 23 and deserves a chance. Aidan McDonough (22) probably needs to get a look, too.

I have been ambivalent about MIller this season. Some games, he looks untradeable - other games - mistake-prone... I'd love it if he could be return a king's ransom but more and more I think that's less likely. I have plenty of time for Boeser - but I see that he's as likely to be in another uniform after the deadline as anyone else.

Demko, Hughes, Petterson... Those are the only core three. I had Boeser in there as the 4th Beatle, but they need a RH dman more...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 6:42 pm 

Oh and Jake Virtanen has been cut loose by his KHL team.

https://thehockeynews.com/news/former-c ... m-khl-team

For "breach of contract" according to the team, but that could mean anything, especially in light of the KHL and Russia at large essentially losing all da money.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 3:50 am 
Big in Japan

Nucks played well but let the Habs hang out long enough in a 5-3 win. Miller had four points. They needed it with Edmo winning in overtime.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 4:15 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Heading to Canucks - Sabres game tonight for the first time live in almost 3 years - first time seeing Pettersson in person. Look out for an OTP sign near the visitor's penalty box boys. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 4:27 pm 
Old Man of the Post

Logical Progression wrote:
Heading to Canucks - Sabres game tonight for the first time live in almost 3 years - first time seeing Pettersson in person. Look out for an OTP sign near the visitor's penalty box boys. :lol:

Sorry that they came up short, LP.

Motte's a Ranger now, Hamonic is a Senator, they brought back Brad Richardson and picked up Dermott to keep their #Travis/60 even...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 4:16 pm 

https://www.nhl.com/canucks/news/vancou ... -334589598

Canucks sign former first rounder Filip Johansson to an ELC. He was originally selected in 2018 (24th overall) by the Minnesota Wylde, a selection that had Bobby Margarita and the pundits completely puzzled. He wasn't on ANYONE's list. The new regime opted not to sign him and take the compensatory 2nd rounder, so the Canucks took him.

Pretty low-risk here, so I don't blame them at all for taking a flier on him. Don't know if Allvin has some fellow Swedes who scouted him out or what, but the guy is rangy and has a right-handed shot. Probably gets a few looks in Abbotsford and beyond that, who knows.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 4:23 pm 
Big in Japan

Pokecheque wrote:
https://www.nhl.com/canucks/news/vancouver-canucks-sign-filip-johansson/c-334589598

Canucks sign former first rounder Filip Johansson to an ELC. He was originally selected in 2018 (24th overall) by the Minnesota Wylde, a selection that had Bobby Margarita and the pundits completely puzzled. He wasn't on ANYONE's list. The new regime opted not to sign him and take the compensatory 2nd rounder, so the Canucks took him.

Pretty low-risk here, so I don't blame them at all for taking a flier on him. Don't know if Allvin has some fellow Swedes who scouted him out or what, but the guy is rangy and has a right-handed shot. Probably gets a few looks in Abbotsford and beyond that, who knows.

He was Habs prospect Norlinder's defence partner in Frolunda for a spell and I wanted the Habs to look at him. Certainly no first round talent, but he was developing into a pretty solid blueliner. The Fenton era keeps on giving.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:22 pm 
Big in Japan

The Canucks land prize KHL free agent Andrei Kuzmenko. Known to be an attacking forward who can one-on-one his way into scoring areas (according to Corey Pronman), his speed and size may keep him from true stardom. But a solid add.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:15 pm 
Old Man of the Post

E.L. wrote:
The Canucks land prize KHL free agent Andrei Kuzmenko. Known to be an attacking forward who can one-on-one his way into scoring areas (according to Corey Pronman), his speed and size may keep him from true stardom. But a solid add.

He gets penciled in as their top LW which IMO speaks volumes about their lack of depth:

Kuzmenko
Pearson
Hoglander
Some other scrubs

As a rightie, he may very well give Allvin and co. some flexibility to dangle JT Miller or Boeser in exchange for youth and cap space. My preference would be to trade Miller, since he might provide a greater return; Boeser's QO starts at $7.5M so that might be a sticking point for other teams.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 4:59 pm 

He gets penciled in as their top LW which IMO speaks volumes about their lack of depth:

Kuzmenko
Pearson
Hoglander
Some other scrubs

As a rightie, he may very well give Allvin and co. some flexibility to dangle JT Miller or Boeser in exchange for youth and cap space. My preference would be to trade Miller, since he might provide a greater return; Boeser's QO starts at $7.5M so that might be a sticking point for other teams.

Are they really lacking in depth up front? Sure looks like they got a legit, elite-level 1C, a 1RW with elite scoring ability, a very good LW/C, a reasonably good (though IMO overrated) 2C, a complementary grinder-type winger, a versatile two-way winger, and a few youngsters with a ton of potential. That seems like a really good scenario depth-wise, especially for a team that's retooling.

Now, if they end up not signing Boeser (which would be a mistake) or moving one of Horvat/Miller (which might be the right move) THEN depth up front becomes an issue.

The depth issue to me is on the back end. Any scenario that has Chaos Giraffe in a top-four role is a waste of time unless the objective is to tank.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 367 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next