OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Tomorrow team
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:25 pm 

Quote:
“We now become a tomorrow team,” was how general manager Doug Wilson put it rather dramatically earlier this week

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/mirtle-sharks-tearing-down-to-rebuild-makes-no-sense/article19231234/

I really, really don't get this. This is a really good team, probably in the top 5 in the NHL. If Wilson had managed to find a top 15 goalie at any point, this is a team that has at least made the cup finals once in the last decade.

Post subject: Re: Tomorrow team
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:52 pm 
Big in Japan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:55 pm 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

This reads very much like a Senators style 'we gave it a go, but we've got to become a budget team' type move. I don't expect the Sharks to replace Boyle's salary. If this makes Joe and Patty uncomfortable they'll move them, if not they'll just not provide the team with new money to spend. Niemi will be allowed to walk next year and they'll go cheap with Stalock and a UFA. Guys like Kennedy and Havlat won't be sitting in the press box anymore, if the coach doesn't play them when healthy they're out the door.

Stuart is also being shown the door from the sounds of things. He has a 7 team trade list he has to provide.

If nothing else, I expect Havlat bought out (assuming he can't be traded), Kennedy dealt and Stuart dealt this offseason. They'll be replaced by guys all making $2m or less (i.e. rookies like Mirco Mueller).

Funny thing is, even after those penny pinching moves, this team could still win the West next year IMO. The big question for competitiveness will be if Joe or Patty want out.

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:44 pm 
2 Legit 2 Quit

Both Joe and Marleau saying they want to stay. Sounds like Joe is saying he would actually refuse to waive NTC, and I would expect Marleau would refuse too. These guys love being in SJ and don't have enough pride to say 'if I'm not wanted I'm out of here'.

Fuck the rebuild!!! :argh: They came 1 win away from beating the Stanley Cup champs and JT + PM are signed for 3 years and not going anywhere. DW and owners need to quit pouting about the collapse and go for it again next year. Replace Boyle + Havlat ($11.7m cap space) with Niskanen + Iginla! Both will get overpaid but maybe Iginla can get in there and fire these lazy fuckers up.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:48 pm 

They aren't willing to spend money anymore, hammer. That's the real driver here. Don't expect them to replace outgoing players with anyone of notable cost. They won't be a cap spending team.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:06 pm 
OTP Historian

saskhab wrote:
They aren't willing to spend money anymore, hammer. That's the real driver here. Don't expect them to replace outgoing players with anyone of notable cost. They won't be a cap spending team.

A Havlat for Giroux swap would be a great move for the Sharks but the cap hit might be too high for Wilson to pull the trigger.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:22 pm 
2 Legit 2 Quit

saskhab wrote:

I don't get why they are cutting costs now though. Did the owners develop money problems or something? Otherwise seems like a reaction out of frustration.

Also, resigning Mike Brown for 2 yrs at $2.4m is inane. He had some nice moments in the (brief) playoffs but they should be able to get a young kid who can do the same thing better and cheaper.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:36 pm 

hammer wrote:
saskhab wrote:

I don't get why they are cutting costs now though. Did the owners develop money problems or something? Otherwise seems like a reaction out of frustration.

Also, resigning Mike Brown for 2 yrs at $2.4m is inane. He had some nice moments in the (brief) playoffs but they should be able to get a young kid who can do the same thing better and cheaper.

They're claiming they held off for years hoping they'd win. This was the tipping point it seems.

It sucks. It's very Ottawa/Buffalo like. It's less like the Capitals who just voluntarily imploded.

I agree that Mike Brown is a dumb signing, but they seem to value him and know they can't really get a cheaper guy that's been in the N for 250+ games on the open market I suppose.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:29 pm 
2 Legit 2 Quit

Sharks pick up John Scott as their only foray into the free agent market. I think DW may have lost his mind.

Ownership are idiots. Joe and Marleau will never agree to a trade and are signed for 3 years. Owners should have sucked it up and put the pedal to the metal for the next 3 years then full rebuild. The $10m+ from Boyle and Havlat could have gone to two of iginla, Mitchell, Bolland, Erhoff...same team as last year plus 2 of those could seriously = Cup.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:16 pm 

hammer wrote:
Sharks pick up John Scott as their only foray into the free agent market. I think DW may have lost his mind.

Ownership are idiots. Joe and Marleau will never agree to a trade and are signed for 3 years. Owners should have sucked it up and put the pedal to the metal for the next 3 years then full rebuild. The $10m+ from Boyle and Havlat could have gone to two of iginla, Mitchell, Bolland, Erhoff...same team as last year plus 2 of those could seriously = Cup.

John Scott is still employed? Damn, Sharks would have been better off re-signing Douglas Murray, they're both pylons but one can at least use his stick.

Mitchell was very good in playoffs, was quite surprised that he has aged so well and yea I'd think Iggy would have been a good fit for both the team and himself, certainly better than the Av's.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:10 pm 

It's abundantly clear to me that the Sharks are going through austerity measures. They want to qualify for revenue sharing while still making the playoffs. To qualify for revenue sharing you can't spend above the mid-point in the cap. They're currently $1.6m below that spot with only Demers left to re-sign. Demers likely puts them over that spot, but Tyler Kennedy is probable trade bait.

If they can spend $8m below the salary cap, get revenue sharing, and still make the same playoff revenue as they have the past few years the owners are laughing.

It sucks because a good piece here and a good piece there would make it work. It sucks because they're just filling holes with stupid players. But whenever there's an injury the AHLers will jump ahead of these guys. Ownership definitely does not want to see the likes of Havlat with his pricetag in the pressbox. John Scott is preferable for that role.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:12 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

How in the hell you sign John Scott for press box duty when Paul Bissonette is still sitting without a contract is beyond me. He doesn't completely suck when on the ice and is a one-man marketing machine when off of it.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:41 pm 
OTP Historian

saskhab wrote:
It's abundantly clear to me that the Sharks are going through austerity measures. They want to qualify for revenue sharing while still making the playoffs. To qualify for revenue sharing you can't spend above the mid-point in the cap. They're currently $1.6m below that spot with only Demers left to re-sign. Demers likely puts them over that spot, but Tyler Kennedy is probable trade bait.

If they can spend $8m below the salary cap, get revenue sharing, and still make the same playoff revenue as they have the past few years the owners are laughing.

It sucks because a good piece here and a good piece there would make it work. It sucks because they're just filling holes with stupid players. But whenever there's an injury the AHLers will jump ahead of these guys. Ownership definitely does not want to see the likes of Havlat with his pricetag in the pressbox. John Scott is preferable for that role.

I think you're right in that a good piece here and there would make it work. However if they're going to strip payroll down and look to reload, they might have to bite the bullet and deal Thornton and Marleau sooner rather than later. 35 years old isn't ancient, but their contracts still look good and only have 3 years. Does their production take a big enough drop in the next year or two to really hurt their trade value? It might hurt them short term, but long term could the difference in the trade returns offset it? Tough questions and I imagine one that is weighing heavily on Wilson.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:02 pm 

Bosc wrote:
saskhab wrote:

I think you're right in that a good piece here and there would make it work. However if they're going to strip payroll down and look to reload, they might have to bite the bullet and deal Thornton and Marleau sooner rather than later. 35 years old isn't ancient, but their contracts still look good and only have 3 years. Does their production take a big enough drop in the next year or two to really hurt their trade value? It might hurt them short term, but long term could the difference in the trade returns offset it? Tough questions and I imagine one that is weighing heavily on Wilson.

NMCs and NTCs complicate things. Thornton doesn't want to leave, he's said as much.

Pavelski is the guy they should deal. He literally won't have a better season in his life than last year, and even then he wasn't as good as Jumbo Joe. Sell 'em high, he's 30 anyways.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:43 am 
OTP Historian

saskhab wrote:
Bosc wrote:
saskhab wrote:

NMCs and NTCs complicate things. Thornton doesn't want to leave, he's said as much.

Pavelski is the guy they should deal. He literally won't have a better season in his life than last year, and even then he wasn't as good as Jumbo Joe. Sell 'em high, he's 30 anyways.

Yeah, the JFJ clauses certainly complicate things. Plus you can Jumbo Joe around to make the latest Clowe/Bernier look a lot better than they are and deal them.

Man, Pavelski scored 41 last season. That's huge.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:31 am 

If they can make a hockey trade for a guy like E. Kane, that'd be a fantastic fit. The Jets also have Burmistrov as an add-in. Two very good guys 25 and under that the Sharks could probably target using Pavelski as bait.

Of course, Pavelski has a modified NTC, and I doubt Winnipeg is the place he'd waive for.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:42 am 
OTP Historian

Martin Brodeur has credit for more career goals than John Scott.

Ron Hextall scored as many career goals as John Scott.

The most hilarious thing? Ron Hextall equalled or surpassed John Scott's career point total in each of his first three seasons in the league.

Ron Hextall has more career Pims than John Scott.

John Scott has as many career goals as he does first names.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:34 am 

When's that last time a team forcibly stripped two veterans in a row of the captaincy?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:45 pm 
OTP Historian

They even took the A from Marleau, apparently.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/san- ... t-captain/

Quote:
That means captain Joe Thornton and alternate captain Patrick Marleau have been stripped of their letters for the time being, although McLellan doesn’t consider the move a punishment.

“Thornton could end up being the captain. I don’t know, none of us know,” McLellan said. “If it’s real evident he’s the guy, he’ll be the captain … This is not an indictment of the guys who wore the letters. There’s 20 other guys that played here last year that should have been participating and influencing the environment, and they need to step up.”

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:04 pm 

Yup, they're trade bait.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next