OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:58 pm 
Apologist for [insert Flyer here]

From Dreger:

http://www.tsn.ca/columnists/darren_dreger/?id=301013

A pre-season pick to challenge for the Stanley Cup, the Flyers have underachieved, lost six of seven - including tonight's 3-0 setback to Vancouver - and are believed to have divisions inside their room.

Stevens is on the hot seat, with a list of potential replacement that includes TSN analysts Peter Laviolette and Craig MacTavish, a former Flyer. Assistant coach Craig Berube would also be given some consideration.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:04 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

I'm a big Laviolette fan but he'd be a bad fit. The Flyboys have no problems scoring (well, recently I guess they do).

MacT would be a HORRIBLE choice, but I guess if you want a tough guy back there, he's the guy to pick.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:24 pm 
Working for the Weekend

Mac T has the past exp on coaching Pronger whom can be an overpowering alpha male presence.

What other exp coaches are available? I cant think of anybody off the top of my head

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:33 pm 

cannots luvah wrote:
What other exp coaches are available? I cant think of anybody off the top of my head

Well, there's Ted Nolan, but I think he's pretty much done in the NHL. Same for Barry Melrose.

Bobby Francis isn't doing much these days, but given his relationship with Danny Briere I'm betting they won't go that route.

And...there's always Wayne Gretzky!

I can't really think of any others who aren't currently assistants for other teams.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:05 pm 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

Go, Keenan, Go!

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:29 pm 

http://flyersgoalscoredby.com/2009-arti ... chine.html

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:42 pm 
Working for the Weekend

Its been done , fired! they werent kidding yesterdays game was big for Philly
http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news?slu ... &type=lgns

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:42 pm 

So happy this has happened. I hope they don't make Berube the coach. The guy was a goon, how does that even make him qualified. He is in charge of the PP and it sucks right now. Go out of the organization.

New coach is Peter Laviolette, being introduced at 8 at the Flyers press conference.

:rock: :rock:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:25 pm 
Working for the Weekend

apparently there's s rumour that there's some kind of issue between Pronger and Richards.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:55 pm 

It was too early to don Richards the captain. Only Tampa jumped the gun even worse.

Well, so far 0-2 under Lavi. Again, I'm a big fan of his but IMO he's not the right coach for this team. He won't teach these guys a tight defensive system, which is what they need to win games. Emeroucher is simply not good enough for Philly to do it any other way. Ironically (apologies in advance if I've already said this) I think if Hitch were still around this team would be a perfect fit.

Here's something else to note--because of the crazy Olympic scheduling some teams are getting the majority of their road games out of the way early. Some aren't. Philly has only played 11 on the road thus far. It's only going to get harder from here on out.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:00 am 
Big in Japan

Habs play-by-play man Pierre Houde was alluding to a fractured Flyers dressing room all night. He was quoting Pronger saying that he's not being included in the team hierarchy. Specifically, this quote:

Quote:
“[Richards] hasn’t come to me [to] ask me anything, and it’s delicate because at the end of the day, it’s his team,” Pronger said. “He’s the captain. He needs to show the rest of the players that it is his team. I don’t want to be the guy that has to stand up every day and tell ourselves to look into the mirror and play better and all this stuff.

http://www.csnphilly.com/pages/landing_ ... feedID=729

Whatever the truth of the situation is, the Flyers were terrible against the Habs, and Mike Richards and Jeff Carter were the two main culprits. Pronger was easily their best skater. The ever-astute Elliotte Friedman says the team probably misses Mike Knuble's leadership.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:06 am 

And Laviolette STILL gave Richards the ice time in the final minute. At least Carter was showing signs of life... but Briere, who was the most dangerous forward, wasn't out there to my knowledge at the end, unless he was the 6th skater.

Chris should invite Mike over to the Pronger household for Christmas so they can get this shit over with. Just as long as Mike is smart enough not to bring his sister. And don't trip.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:52 pm 

http://www.faceoff.com/hockey/columnist ... nists.atom

Kind of reminds me of when everyone picked the Avs to win it all in 2003-04. Ridiculously talented, questionable goaltending and coaching. If not for Steve Konowalchuk, who singlehandedly saved the season, I doubt we even make the playoffs that year.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:19 pm 
Rebel Sell + Moneyball = Life

Av-merican wrote:
Kind of reminds me of when everyone picked the Avs to win it all in 2003-04. Ridiculously talented, questionable goaltending and coaching. If not for Steve Konowalchuk, who singlehandedly saved the season, I doubt we even make the playoffs that year.

Come on, now. That "underachieving team" had a hundred-point season (pre-shootout) and made it to the second round. Let's not go overboard here.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:39 pm 

Jyrki21 wrote:
Av-merican wrote:

Come on, now. That "underachieving team" had a hundred-point season (pre-shootout) and made it to the second round. Let's not go overboard here.

They floundered badly to start off, things didn't turn around until the obligatory players-only meeting and the trade for Konowalchuk. Even after that Kariya and Selanne did

Bottom line, they were the perennial favorites to win it all, and didn't even come close. I'm not really bitter about it (the 2001-02 season was far more difficult to take) I had a feeling that team was simply too good on paper for it to really materialize on the ice, and I was right. I have the same feeling with this year's Flyboys.

The one team that did live up to the hype? Yeah, those '01-02 Wings. Fuck them.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:22 pm 

Well, looks like Richards and Carter heard about Houde and us Habs fans calling them out... two goals each tonight, and two for Giroux as well.

Two for Tavares in reply. Deuces are wild!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:50 am 

Emery out after abdominal surgery for the next six weeks. Put in a claim for Flaming Leighton, Holmgren. He's available.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:07 pm 

Shut out by Brian freakin' Elliot!? Are you kidding me!?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:54 pm 

Av-merican wrote:
Shut out by Brian freakin' Elliot!? Are you kidding me!?

The game was really close. The goal by Foligno just rolled in. It could have went either way. But right now, it's just going bad for the Flyguys. :argh:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:36 pm 
Working for the Weekend

Av-merican wrote:
Jyrki21 wrote:
Av-merican wrote:

They floundered badly to start off, things didn't turn around until the obligatory players-only meeting and the trade for Konowalchuk. Even after that Kariya and Selanne did

Bottom line, they were the perennial favorites to win it all, and didn't even come close. I'm not really bitter about it (the 2001-02 season was far more difficult to take) I had a feeling that team was simply too good on paper for it to really materialize on the ice, and I was right. I have the same feeling with this year's Flyboys.

The one team that did live up to the hype? Yeah, those '01-02 Wings. Fuck them.

I just noticed this! this is classic J21 and Av!