OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 653 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33  Next
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 1:40 pm 
Old Man of the Post

Congrats, Chris! Good luck and give 'em hell!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2022 12:42 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Thanks!

Booked our bike riding vacation. Going from Buffalo to Albany, about 365 miles in 7 days. Mapped out all the hotels along the way, some places to stop, etc. So late June if you don't hear from me, it's because I'm pedaling my ass. Off. I am hoping that such an ambitious ride will freak me out to get in shape ahead of time. If not, riding an average of 52 miles/day should help a lot, even if it mostly is downhill and with the wind at our backs (hopefully). The following summer we hope to ride the North/South NY bike trail from the Canadian border down to NYC.

Also going to Ireland for 2 weeks in July. Thank god for being able to roll over 2 weeks of vacation time!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 12:43 pm 
OTP Historian

Chris18 wrote:
It's official- I'll be in Buffalo March 3-6 for the NY state tournament. Looks like we've got games on Friday morning and afternoon, and a game Saturday morning. If we make the semi-finals, they're Sunday morning. So we'll probably head to Niagara Falls on Saturday afternoon.

There's a Sabres home game while we're there. Might go, just to go.

That weekend is gonna be busy with Hannah's birthday so I'm not sure I'll be able to make it out :x Good luck at the tourney and hopefully the kids have a blast!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:02 pm 

Bosc wrote:
Chris18 wrote:
It's official- I'll be in Buffalo March 3-6 for the NY state tournament. Looks like we've got games on Friday morning and afternoon, and a game Saturday morning. If we make the semi-finals, they're Sunday morning. So we'll probably head to Niagara Falls on Saturday afternoon.

There's a Sabres home game while we're there. Might go, just to go.

That weekend is gonna be busy with Hannah's birthday so I'm not sure I'll be able to make it out :x Good luck at the tourney and hopefully the kids have a blast!

Okay. I had a feeling it would be difficult to organize with anyone but figured I'd throw it out there. Happy birthday to Hannah!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 11:16 am 
King of Men

Any tips on travel to Rome? Rick Steve says get yourself a money belt!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 11:49 am 

harmfuljays wrote:

Never been to Italy (too many Italians for me) but my wife has. She strongly suggests something like a money belt, or any way to protect against slick handed pick-pockets. She had a student "lose" his wallet. Swore he had it 20 minutes earlier... Naive kid didn't think anyone would steal it.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2022 2:50 pm 
OTPoliceman

harmfuljays wrote:

I always wear a money belt when in Continental Europe.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2022 4:30 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

drl perfect III wrote:
harmfuljays wrote:

I always wear a money belt when in Continental Europe.

I got my pocket picked in Florence. Luckily caught them at the last instant.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2022 7:00 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Wore one of those wallets around my neck the two times I was in Italy. Nerdy as hell but who cares so long as you keep your money.

I was told putting rubber bands on your wallet can help in that it makes it much harder for pickpockets to extract it stealthily, but I'd definitely go the money belt/neck wallet way.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2022 7:03 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Also, keep tip money with you. ALWAYS. The bathroom attendants expect some gratuity when you use their facility and will chase you down if you don't. Some public facilities even have a collection booth up front like a ticket counter.

Haven't been in well over 25 years (they still had Lira as their form of currency, I believe it's the Euro now) but I imagine that part of it hasn't changed.

If you can hit up the Capuchin Crypt, you gotta fucking go. I bet you'd love it.

https://romesite.com/capuchin-crypt.html

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 8:29 am 
OTP Historian

In Italy, we wore money belts. I wasn't constantly wearing it and I never got pickpocketed, but I know others who have.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:34 pm 

Rode the Erie Canal Trailway, end to end, in 7 days. The official trail is 360 miles. We added over 40 miles with side-rides to hotels, get food/drinks, etc. The guys in the bike shop kept looking at me like "this fat fuck isn't going to make it". Well I made it, so eat shit ya skinny twits! Only walked up 2 hills the whole time, and both were on the last day. One was about 1.2 miles long and you had no way to head to it with speed. The other was shortly after the first and well, I was shot by then. Also had like 40 lbs of shit on the bike, which doesn't help. When we'd get to downhill sections, my wife would pedal and I'd coast- and fly past her. :lol: For the record, she walked one of those hills also.

A lot of fun! A few annoying situations with flats, but we did it. :Butch:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:13 pm 
OTPoliceman

Chris18 wrote:
Rode the Erie Canal Trailway, end to end, in 7 days. The official trail is 360 miles. We added over 40 miles with side-rides to hotels, get food/drinks, etc. The guys in the bike shop kept looking at me like "this fat fuck isn't going to make it". Well I made it, so eat shit ya skinny twits! Only walked up 2 hills the whole time, and both were on the last day. One was about 1.2 miles long and you had no way to head to it with speed. The other was shortly after the first and well, I was shot by then. Also had like 40 lbs of shit on the bike, which doesn't help. When we'd get to downhill sections, my wife would pedal and I'd coast- and fly past her. :lol: For the record, she walked one of those hills also.

Congratualtions Chris. My accomplishment as a fellow fat fuck is much smaller that yours. My wife and I participated in the Okanagan Trestles Tour and did the 80 Km (50 Mi) Myra Canyon to Penticton ride yesterday.

https://www.okanagantrestlestour.com

Some links from Google Earth:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Myra+ ... n+Trestles)/@49.8007767,-119.312675,3a,75y,90t/data=!3m8!1e2!3m6!1sAF1QipNCR1SLqoZ5F_7OXWk9NmE8uY6zLXAEDqyMOa7Y!2e10!3e12!6shttps:%2F%2Flh5.googleusercontent.com%2Fp%2FAF1QipNCR1SLqoZ5F_7OXWk9NmE8uY6zLXAEDqyMOa7Y%3Dw203-h135-k-no!7i6000!8i4000!4m5!3m4!1s0x537d8f03c2bf2be9:0xd23a1a39251b781a!8m2!3d49.8007767!4d-119.312675
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Myra+Canyon+Trail+

(Myra+Canyon+Trestles)/@49.8007767,-119.312675,3a,75y,90t/data=!3m8!1e2!3m6!1sAF1QipNCR1SLqoZ5F_7OXWk9NmE8uY6zLXAEDqyMOa7Y!2e10!3e12!6shttps:%2F%2Flh5.googleusercontent.com%2Fp%2FAF1QipNCR1SLqoZ5F_7OXWk9NmE8uY6zLXAEDqyMOa7Y%3Dw203-h135-k-no!7i6000!8i4000!4m5!3m4!1s0x537d8f03c2bf2be9:0xd23a1a39251b781a!8m2!3d49.8007767!4d-119.312675
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Myra+Canyon+Trail+

(Myra+Canyon+Trestles)/@49.8007767,-119.312675,3a,75y,90t/data=!3m8!1e2!3m6!1sAF1QipNCR1SLqoZ5F_7OXWk9NmE8uY6zLXAEDqyMOa7Y!2e10!3e12!6shttps:%2F%2Flh5.googleusercontent.com%2Fp%2FAF1QipNCR1SLqoZ5F_7OXWk9NmE8uY6zLXAEDqyMOa7Y%3Dw203-h135-k-no!7i6000!8i4000!4m5!3m4!1s0x537d8f03c2bf2be9:0xd23a1a39251b781a!8m2!3d49.8007767!4d-119.312675

Most of the ride at the beginning is level through the trestles and the grade is no more than 2%. After Chute Lake the last 44 Km (27Mi) is downhill and not difficult. We did the whole thing including rest stops in 5 hr 12 min. The reason it's an accomplishment for me is: (1 This was only the second time I have been on my bike this year (2 My bike is a 35+ (vintage!) Norco 26 x 1.95 (3 I've lost 14 of the 25 Pandemic lbs I gained and still have 11 more to go (4 I tested positive for Covid 3 weeks ago and (5 I turn 64 years old at the end of the month. Just got back home 2.5 hours ago.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 11:54 am 

Nice! Looks like a cool ride.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 12:01 pm 
OTP Historian

Chris18 wrote:

Awesome!

I was out riding my bike last night and didn't see some carved out pavement coming up, pulled up my front tire to clear it but cased the shit out of my back. Now I've got a flat and hopefully not a fucked up rim.

Someone was behind me and as they pulled up at a light, I turned and said "That gap was a great way to ruin a rim" :x :fffffuck:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 7:18 pm 

Bosc wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

Awesome!

I was out riding my bike last night and didn't see some carved out pavement coming up, pulled up my front tire to clear it but cased the shit out of my back. Now I've got a flat and hopefully not a fucked up rim.

Someone was behind me and as they pulled up at a light, I turned and said "That gap was a great way to ruin a rim" :x :fffffuck:

Flats suck at any time, but if you fuck up the rim it's such a pain in the ass.

I went into the bike shop today for the first time since getting back. They immediately asked if we finished. When I said "of course!" they looked at each other like "really? This fat fuck finished?" Yes I did, MFers!

Heading to Ireland tomorrow for the first time in I believe 4 years. Heading up the west coast off the bat, then down to the southeast.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:13 am 
OTP Historian

Chris18 wrote:
Heading to Ireland tomorrow for the first time in I believe 4 years. Heading up the west coast off the bat, then down to the southeast.

Have a blast!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 12:06 pm 

Bosc wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

Have a blast!

Thanks, we did! Had one bad day of weather and it was when we arrived. Went straight to the Cliffs of Moher and could barely see the cliffs at all due to the fog. But we went back a few days later and it was beautiful. Went up to Galway, where we got some of the best pizza I've ever had (very strange to write that) and Galway is just really nice. Went up to Sligo as well. Really nice beaches, went to a cool waterfall, etc. Back down to Cork then to see family, etc. Really good time overall. Feels like it was months ago. We got home last night. :lol: Miss18.1 did a Jameson shot with her mother and grandmother. That was pretty funny. The waiter came to our table with a Coke, a Guinness and some shots. He wasn't sure if he should put the Guinness or a shot in front of me. I laughed and told him he was sure to get it all wrong but it would be fun to test. He was wrong on every single drink. :lol: You'd think after me saying that he'd give me the Coke.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 3:02 pm 
Improvement on the US678 prototype

Chris18 wrote:
Went up to Galway, where we got some of the best pizza I've ever had (very strange to write that) and Galway is just really nice.

Funny you say that, Many years ago when I went to Belfast with a buddy t visit his cousin, we had pizza at this parlor and I too thought it was the best I ever had which was shocking being in Northern Ireland where you think fish and chips.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 4:24 pm 
OTP Historian

Went to Niagara Falls for the day with the family and took the boat trip at the Falls. Worth it to do it at least once. Just incredible.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 653 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33  Next