OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Surfing
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:20 pm 
Chaser, Wearer of Skirts

For my surfing buddies. I wish I was one of you. Maybe one day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Az3SHeMHC6c

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:27 pm 
OTP Clown

Love that song.

Great vid!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:52 pm 
2 Legit 2 Quit

OTP surfing thread never die!

Conditions were solid here for early summer, definitely better than usual, then got into the usual summer funk for late summer. Like clockwork things picked up in September. Had a fantastic day the last Sunday of September - consistent ~5' and glassy. Some nice long rides and a cool cover-up. Last weekend I got out a couple times, super-clean conditions and beautiful weather but it got kind of small and crowded. This weekend is looking mediocre on the forecast but I'll give it a go anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:40 pm 
2 Legit 2 Quit

Epic run of surf for Thanksgiving weekend, long period swell that started huge then back down.

Thursday was 15'+! Brutal 30 minute paddle out, barely made it out, caught one bomb that didn't last very long and came back to the beach. One and done. Fun but scary, earned my turkey with that paddle.

Friday much more manageable 6-8+ feet. Totally fogged in was kind of spooky but really nice wave conditions, had my best ride of the weekend on a longish, glassy 8' left.

Saturday was smaller but still solid, 4-6'. Some fun ones, beautiful weather. lots of dolphins in the water, at one point there was a pair on either side of me within 15', each a mama and a baby. Really cool.

Sunday picked back up, maybe 6-8+'. Beautiful weather, really nice wave conditions. Caught a few fun ones including a nice, racy right.

Now I'm waterlogged, spaghetti-armed and thankful for some good surf.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:30 pm 
OTP Clown

Great post Hammer!

15'+ waves?

That kind of groundswell can be fine to surf when it's half way up an inlet and about half it's size.

With a 1/2 hour paddle out getting pummeled by bomb after bomb, I'm surprised you had anything left for the next few days of surfing!

I am envious of the 6 - 8' conditions. Ideal really. That's the edge where they get really exciting for me. I like those kinds of waves closer to high tide than low

The lakes have been really meh this fall.

I need to move closer to an ocean sooner than later.

Laura's now finished her phd so we are free to leave Toronto now. Currently recalibrating what our next steps are.

Lotsa Fukashima radiation talk out there... any concerns about the waters in California for you?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:17 pm 
2 Legit 2 Quit

Stinky wrote:
Great post Hammer!

15'+ waves?

That kind of groundswell can be fine to surf when it's half way up an inlet and about half it's size.

With a 1/2 hour paddle out getting pummeled by bomb after bomb, I'm surprised you had anything left for the next few days of surfing!

I am envious of the 6 - 8' conditions. Ideal really. That's the edge where they get really exciting for me. I like those kinds of waves closer to high tide than low

The lakes have been really meh this fall.

I need to move closer to an ocean sooner than later.

Laura's now finished her phd so we are free to leave Toronto now. Currently recalibrating what our next steps are.

Lotsa Fukashima radiation talk out there... any concerns about the waters in California for you?

I also prefer a higher tide on anything over head high.

It's funny I hadn't put any thought into Fukashima, but when I was on my way to paddle out on one of the days over the weekend my buddy mentioned it when we were looking at what must be part of a pier that washed up on the beach. There is always random stuff washing up on the beach, I guess some of it could be from Fukashima. Spooky!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:48 pm 
OTP Historian

Stinky wrote:

Bathsheba, Barbados?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:33 am 
OTP Clown

Considering water and air temperatures here,

Yes.

Yes please.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:41 am 
OTP Historian

Stinky wrote:
Considering water and air temperatures here,

Yes.

Yes please.

Barbados is great. Loved that place.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:04 pm 
2 Legit 2 Quit

4 days in a row of surfing I can barley type my arms are so tired.

Saturday was sloppy 3-5' +, went out on my slop board for a quick session to warm up for what looked like it was going to be an epic run of surf starting Sunday. Caught a few fun rides, and it was totally empty. Good times.

Sunday was pretty much epic. 6-10+, really long period so the paddle was easy. Tide was pretty high, waves were not too racy so even the big ones were very user friendly. It was consistently head high with the occasional 8-10+ rogue wave coming through so I sat about 15 yards outside of everybody else and picked off a few of the bombs. A couple rides stood out - really long rides on 10' waves, one right and one left, it doesn't get much better, I will remember those for a long time.

Monday got bigger and more powerful, 10-12'+ and steep. I caught a shoulder that was pretty fun, then spent a lot of time trying to get into position and not get crushed by the big sets coming through. It was pretty scary. I caught a bomb, steep drop, big bottom turn and then it basically closed out and I came into shore unscathed and pretty psyched about the big one I caught. Maybe 12'? At least 10.

Today backed off a lot, 4-7'. Still really long period so it was a super mellow paddle out. Beautiful weather, dolphins in the water. Waves were near-perfect, but were closing out a little too much if you weren't in the exact right place. I spent the first while trying to pull into tubes, made it into one but didn't make it out, though I had a glorious 1.5 seconds of eyes-open tuberiding before I got blasted. Had a couple really nice, long rides. A big right where I got my fins out of the water on a cutback and threw buckets of water. Also a nice long left with a nice cutback off the top where I kept my speed well. Ended up out there for 2 hours, came out exhausted but happy.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:51 pm 
Distinguished Gentleman of OTP

For our surfing OTPer's. Arctic surfing by two Canadians on a Norwegian island above the Arctic Circle in winter 2010 / 2011. They made a film called North of the sun, or Nordfor Sola in Norwegian. The film won the Banff Mountain Film Festival.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-25988178

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:48 pm 
OTP Clown

Been surfing twice a week for a year.

Though the last 3 weeks have been essentially flat, I did have a small session a week or so ago.

I'm dying for some swell.

Even more so I'm stoked about the custom handshaped board that I'm getting from Larry Mabile.

There is a shop owner here in Nova Scotia - a San Diego transplant who owned a number of businesses making surfboards - Pacific Surf Glass as well as Kane Garden surfboards.

As such he get some pretty amazing products at a very reasonable price.

Attachments:
surf2.jpg
surf2.jpg [ 80.29 KiB | Viewed 6260 times ]
surf1.jpg
surf1.jpg [ 68.81 KiB | Viewed 6260 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:42 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Excellent Jim. I wish I could get back to surfing.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:14 am 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Jim? Is that you?

https://themindcircle.com/surfer-polar-vortex/

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:26 pm 
OTP Clown

Naw...

That's a lake guy. I surfed with him.

This is me:

attachment=0]bottom turn jim.jpg[/attachment]

Attachments:
bottom turn jim.jpg
bottom turn jim.jpg [ 75.48 KiB | Viewed 3761 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:09 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Oh so you know him! Y'all are nuts. :lol:
But I commend you.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 12:46 pm 

I've been wanting to get back into surfing for a long time. I never really got into surfing as much as I wanted to, and realized the other day that I had some kind of bullshit childhood ptsd from my older brother. :lol: He is 6 years older than me and always had a better job/more money than me. He seemed to view surfing as "his thing" and would never let me borrow his board. He'd always say I'd break a skeg off, ding it, etc. I'd steal his board now and then when he was at work and use it. He caught me a few times and one day went off about a huge ding I'd supposedly put in it. I pointed out that the ding was still circled in marker, which was why he'd gotten it cheaply from the surf shop. :lol: Regardless, by the time I could afford a surfboard, I had convinced myself I'd just ruin it. I'm a stubborn fucker, so it was pretty surprising to hear myself admit that recently.

So fuck him with a longboard! I was at the jersey shore the other day and found myself in the surf shop I would go to as a kid. It's now owned by the son of the couple I used to hang out with and listen to stories from 1960s surfing, including building his own 60 lb plywood board, only to have it fly off his car on the parkway and get wrecked. They have a great program- you can rent any used board you want for $30. If you don't like it, you swap it for another until you find one you like. If you buy one of them, the $30 goes towards the purchase. So this summer, I'm going to rent a board and hopefully find one I like enough to buy. I have no qualms about starting with a foam board. I'm told foamies get made fun of. Fuck 'em. If I'm surfing, I'll be happy! :lol: :lol: I'll most likely start with something in the 8-10' range, probably on the longer side since I'm still pretty fat. Looking forward to it!

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 2:28 pm 
OTP Clown

Foamies are a great way in!

Costco has the 8'6" wavestorm for $225 typically.

It's perfect to get back into things on!

We need an OTP surf trip...

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 6:34 pm 

I only see an 8' on Costco.com. My area isn't exactly a surfing destination, so they won't have many surfboards. I think they base your web choices on your location too. Fuckers.

But I'm kind of psyched for the try & buy at the surf shop in NJ. I bought tons of skateboard stuff from them. They make their own boards, so maybe I'll wind up with one of theirs. Would be kinda cool.

Once I get going, I'd be all for a surf trip!

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 5:12 pm 

Found a beautiful used WRV 9' board for $500. I've always thought WRV were the coolest boards. I loved their logo as a kid and thought about that as my first tattoo. Went with dolphins of my own design instead. But, I apparently still love their stuff because I kept stopping on the WRVs on all sites I was looking for used boards.

I was going to sneak down to the shore this week to buy it. Then our pool pump was running red hot and needs to be replaced (bad coils on a cheap replacement motor that hasn't even lasted 2 years), we need a new furnace (estimates are $9k-$14k when I thought they'd be like $6-7k), and other unexpected costs of the dreaded adulthood. Sooooo, the surfboard is on hold for a while. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next