OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2023 off-season
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2023 4:10 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

E.L. wrote:
Bailey PTO with Ottawa. What's the NHL record for most 10+ goal seasons without scoring 20? Because Bailey did it 11 times and that feels like a lot.

I wouldn’t be at all surprised if he held some record like that. Seems that would be his legacy.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2023 4:51 pm 
OTP Historian

Chris18 wrote:
E.L. wrote:
Bailey PTO with Ottawa. What's the NHL record for most 10+ goal seasons without scoring 20? Because Bailey did it 11 times and that feels like a lot.

I wouldn’t be at all surprised if he held some record like that. Seems that would be his legacy.

Probably would have been Lidstrom had he not hit exactly 20 in 1999-00.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2023 5:42 pm 
Big in Japan

Bosc wrote:
Chris18 wrote:
E.L. wrote:

Probably would have been Lidstrom had he not hit exactly 20 in 1999-00.

If you have any sort of longevity in this league you're gonna have a lucky season where a few more bounce in. I'd love to find some comparables for Bailey.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2023 9:59 am 

Romanov and Wahlstrom ready to go and excited for the season. Like 2 weeks ago they were saying Romanov wouldn't be ready. He's taking regular shifts in camp. :toot:

Palmieri is skating alone after "tweaking" something. Lambert says he's not sure when Palmieri will be ready for regular shifts.

Usual pre-season excitement and optimism surround the team. I am atypically not believing any of it. I have a bad feeling about this year, which is probably the right way to approach it after almost no changes in the off-season.

Bring on the season? Sure. It'll give me something to do in the darkening evenings.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2023 10:45 am 

First pre-season game tonight, Isles vs Rangers. :toot: I think they play each other as many times in the pre-season as they do in the regular season under this stupid new schedule.

Isles roster is pretty well set in stone, with the biggest question being if Parise will return soon, show up in like January, or actually retire. It would be nice to see some kids get ice time, but it would also be nice to see if this team is actually going to be better even though it's basically the same as last year. Everyone has said the right things, as usual. Everyone knows they had a down year and wants to show Isles fans what they can really do. Everyone is disappointed with the first round exit and poor regular season. Everyone wants the Cup... Lovely. Now figure out the PP and win more games.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2023 7:56 pm 

Down 3-0 after like 2:30. :lol:
Isles all playing like they want to be traded.
Welcome to bugs Maggio. Knee on knee by Trochek that bloodies Maggio’s face. Isles score in the PP. DuFour. :Butch:
Johnston says hi to Trochek next shift aaaaaand takes a double minor for his effort. Great job dude.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2023 7:40 am 

Isles made it semi-respectable, losing 4-2 after giving up 3 in the first 2:30.
I was wrong- Maggio's face wasn't bloodied by the Trochek knee. He took an elbow (uncalled) from someone else.
Rempe (6'7") and Johnston fought. Pretty much a draw, although neither looked to be really going for it. I think both wanted to say they had a fight but neither wanted to get hurt. Johnston's helmet came off so he probably took the worst of it, but neither fell.
George was kind of boarded (no call) and was shaken up but stayed in the game.
DuFour scored but looked really shaky in the D zone. First pre-season game, I guess it's to be expected, but they've got a lot to clean up.

Weird thing- Michael Peca was supposedly the ring leader in complaining about Laviolette and getting him fired when Laviolette was in his first coaching job. Peca supposedly got all the players to complain enough to Milbury about Laviolette that he was fired after 2 years. He did shit like making the players go into his office to ask for their jersey and that's how he'd let them know if they were playing that night, or why they weren't. Even NHL vets. Power tripping, weird things. Now Peca is one of Laviolette's assistant coaches. So now I wonder if those stories were always bullshit. I guess it doesn't matter. It was just surprising to me to see them working together.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2023 10:01 am 
Big in Japan

Forever Islander Cory Schneider calls it a career. A solid goalie most of the time.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2023 12:45 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Forever Islander Cory Schneider calls it a career. A solid goalie most of the time.

I meant to write that above but he was that forgettable as an Islander. He was with the org 3 years and played literally one game for the NYI. At least he won it. I feel like he sat on the bench for a good 10-15 games. Wonder if anyone tracks backup goalie games dressed.

Isles play Philly tonight. It will only be streamed, not on regular TV.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2023 11:44 am 

Isles A- squad beat Philly's C+ squad (B being their best) 2-1, with Philly's goal coming late and the Isles playing just to not get hurt.

Isles-Rangers was postponed last night due to severe flooding all over NY. We got like 5" of rain in 12 hours. Subways were flooded, parkways, buildings, all kinds of shit. So they'll do it tonight.

Isles sent a bunch of guys down yesterday. Isaiah George was back with his junior team 2 days ago. Lots of the Bridgeport vets were there for the start of camp. Isles camp roster had been 66 and I think I read it's 44 now. Maybe 34? I don't know. I think there is only like one spot up for grabs, so it doesn't really matter.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2023 1:05 pm 

Isles play a great 55 minute game vs the Rangers. Had a 4-0 lead. Next thing you know, it's 4-3 with a minute to go. :chairshot: But Lee hit the empty net to complete a slightly tarnished Gordie Howe Hat Trick. He had beauty of an assist to Pageau early in the game, and had to fight Goodrow after crushing a Ranger in the corner, with what even Ranger boot licker Joe Micheletti said was a perfectly clean hit. Lee lost his balance trying to throw a huge haymaker and both guys went down together after like 2-3 punches each. Goodrow got an instigator and 10 minute misconduct, probably because Lee wasn't even looking when Goodrow went after him, gloves already off.

Horvat and Barzal looked good together. Wahlstrom still looks like he has the hockey IQ of a potato.

Devils tomorrow night.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2023 6:42 pm 

Palmieri still skating on his own. This looks like a sign of things to come.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2023 8:17 am 

Sorokin with a pretty bad game. Isles blow a 2-0 lead and lose 6-5. Devils top line looks great though. Going to be dangerous.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2023 6:22 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Geez I'm way behind the times, Josh Bailey isn't playing in Long Island anymore!?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2023 11:38 am 

Pokecheque wrote:
Geez I'm way behind the times, Josh Bailey isn't playing in Long Island anymore!?

Nope. They traded him to the Blackhawks for a pick, and the Blackhawks immediately waived him. Bailey was on a golfing trip with a bunch of the Isles players and reportedly was furious. Lou swears he had no idea the Blackhawks were going to waive Bailey but that he was kind of happy for him that it happened, since it means he can go play wherever he wants. Except apparently Long Island, where his home is. I wondered if the Isles would give him a low contract offer but they apparently didn't make any offer. He's a decent player. Just not worth anywhere near the $5M he was supposed to make this year.

In good news, Palmieri is back skating with the team.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2023 7:43 am 

Isles dress a "you've still got a shot at a roster spot, although we're not sure why" lineup vs the Flyers, who dress pretty much their opening night lineup (their last pre-season game). Not surprising, the Flyers won 5-2.

Isles do have a few interesting things going on. Quite a few bubble guys trying to be one of the forwards/D who fills the last spots.

Locks:
Lee-Horvat-Barzal
Engvall-Nelson-Palmieri
______ -Pageau-Wahlstrom
Martin-Cizikas-Clutterbuck.

Lines would probably switch, but realistically, there's only one playing spot open, with Holmstrom, Gautier, Fasching and even Kuhlman making good cases that they deserve a roster spot. There's also "break glass in case of emergency" Ross Johnston waiting to punch faces. So even if you plan on 14 forwards, you've got 5 guys trying for 3 spots. Holmstrom has looked really good, but he's the only one who is waiver exempt. I wouldn't care about losing Kuhlman on waivers, unless they have a rash of injuries.

D
Pelech-Pulock
Romanov-Dobson
____-Mayfield
Aho & Bolduc seem to be the two who will make the team out of camp as the 6th & 7th, respectively. I don't recall hearing Salo's name mentioned in any of the pre-season games, but he's still listed on the team roster (although I just realized so is Isaiah George, who was sent down last week). Paul LaDue and Grant Hutton are still getting looks as of last night, although I'm not sure why. Hutton watched a few goals against vs the Rangers. Not exactly a way to endear yourself to the fans, teammates or coaching staff. LaDue looked like he was a step or more behind the Flyers all night. I don't recall hearing Cholowski's name in any pre-season game. Bridgeport doesn't have a roster on their site, so maybe he was sent down already. Bridgeport has played games, but I'm not going through boxscores.

Goal is all set with Sorokin and Varlamov. I assume Appleby and Skarek will go to Bridgeport and Lennox down to Worcester.

I assume the Isles will dress their opening night roster tonight vs the Devils, in their last pre-season game. Wonder if Palmieri is ready to play even a pre-season game yet. He only joined the team skates yesterday. Either way, one week until hockey that matters! :toot:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2023 10:15 am 

Isles waived and sent a bunch of guys down to end camp. They're at 24 right now. Still need to boot one guy, one way or another. Johnston to LTIR with rosteritis?

Waived yesterday:
Appleby and Skarek (G). I didn't think they both required waivers.
Choloski, Hutton, LaDue, and Salo (D). Hoping Salo makes it through. He's not NHL ready but he could be soon.
Durandeau, Koivula, Kuhlman, and Pinho (F). Kuhlman has like 140 NHL games under his belt. He'd be good to have around as a reliable call up and to help with Bridgeport but I wouldn't cry if he was claimed.

Holmstrom looked good again last night on Horvat & Barzal's line. He's the only waiver exempt player left. Would they send him down just to not risk a waiver loss? Gautier has also looked good. Fasching sat out last night as day to day. I doubt he's got anything worth putting him on IR, so someone still has to go. Wahlstrom didn't have a great camp, but has the most upside of any of the questionable guys. I can't see them giving up on him yet. He's got the hockey IQ of a potato but also a cannon of a shot. If he can ever figure out where to go on the ice, he could score 30. In his current state, he reminds me of Randy from My Name is Earl.
Wahlstrom- Hey Earl, I was wide open!
Barzal- Why the hell do you keep calling me Earl? And you were open because you were in the corner behind the goal line. You're a scorer. Get out front and get open.
Wahlstrom- When I go out front I get covered. Right Crab Man?
Dobson- Crab man? Who is this clown talking about?
Horvat- It's from an old show. I know how to handle this. (to Wahlstrom)- listen Dummy! Get out front and get open! Stick on the ice, faaaaaciiiiiiing the puuuuuuuck.
Wahlstrom- Wow Joy, you're really mean. But I think I get it. (next shift stands wide open in front of the net- the Islanders net, while the puck is at the other end)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2023 12:07 pm 
Big in Japan

Re: Holmstrom. Roster managing and sending the waiver guys down feels like more of a baseball thing. In hockey, some GMs just want the best lineup they can out there.

Meanwhile, Bailey looked good for Ottawa yesterday but got released from his PTO. Hope he latches on somewhere.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2023 12:32 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Re: Holmstrom. Roster managing and sending the waiver guys down feels like more of a baseball thing. In hockey, some GMs just want the best lineup they can out there.

Meanwhile, Bailey looked good for Ottawa yesterday but got released from his PTO. Hope he latches on somewhere.

If Parise doesn't return (maybe around New Year), I'd like to see Bailey return on a Parise-like deal. He's good. Just not for $5M.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2023 9:47 am 

Isles had no personnel losses or gains on the camp breaking waiver wire.

Still at 24 players. Either Holmstrom is about to be sent down (waiver exempt) or someone like Johnston is about to be LTIRed with rosteritis. They're also about $575k over the cap, so LTIR would help. Or there's a trade coming. Quite a few teams are still far over the cap.

Six teams start the regular season on Tuesday. Isles and Sabres have to wait until Saturday. Why the NHL can't handle a single start date is beyond me. I still like the idea of having the Cup finalists play on a Friday night, the rest of the league plays Saturday and everyone plays on Sunday. But the NHL bows to the NFL. I also say stagger local games, like have the Isles play at 1, the Devils at 4 and Rangers at 7, rotating each team's starts in those spots as evenly as possible. Could do that with the Leafs, Sens and Habs, and Oilers, Flames and Canucks too. It would all work and fans would watch other games. I'd leave the TV on for the Devils and Rangers games, stop to watch a bit here and there. Overall increase in NHL ratings. When their games conflict I'm not turning to the Rangers or Devils at all.

Anyway. Here's to a good Isles season starting soon.

Lines will be interesting, to say the least. LW1 is still up in the air by all accounts. My predictions, sure to be wrong:

Holmstrom-Horvat-Barzal
Engvall-Nelson-Palmieri
Lee-Pageau-Wahlstrom/Gautier/Fashing. I think they'll compete with Holmstrom for that LW1 spot. I'd like to see Wahlstrom there but he doesn't have the hockey IQ for it.
Martin-Cizikas-Clutterbuck
Fasching/Wahlstrom/Gautier. Johnston on LTIR or something.

I have no idea what they'll do for D pairings. Lambert likes to mix them up a lot. Basically-

Pelech-Pulock
Romanov-Dobson
Aho-Mayfield
Bolduc

Net is well set, thankfully:
Sorokin (probably around 55 games)
Varlamov
After that, their goalie depth is crap.

Did they improve the PP at all? Pre-season games say no. Why John MacLean is still in charge of it is a question for the ages. Or aged. Lou- why the fuck is John MacLean still running your PP when it was horrendous last year? It's more stagnant than an isolated pond. There's no movement to force defenders to decide who they're covering. The passes are as predictable as a rom-com. I sit on my couch going like "Barzal to Nelson, to Pulock, to Nelson, to Barzal he'll circle a tiny bit and back to Nelson, to Pulock who won't get the one-timer pass he likes so he'll reset and pass to Nelson to try it again..." And I'm surprisingly accurate. That's sad. 15% again this year and they'll miss the playoffs. 20% and they'll make it easily. Fucking figure it out.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next