OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 6:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 369 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:43 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

E.L. wrote:
Chris18 wrote:
E.L. wrote:
Pageau has 15 goals in his last 32 playoff games. Unreal. The regular season numbers suggest the contract is a bit much, but he's been such a Habs killer over the years my opinion on him is skewed. Love the player, 3rd line centre can win faceoffs, stir shit and score goals.

If he gets them to any sort of next level, I'll take an overpay. He's been damn good so far, especially in the playoffs.

His point totals in Ottawa this year were inflated because they were auditioning him and giving him primo icetime, but he's a legit 3rd line centre and I think only slightly overpaid. Also still pretty young.

I feel like almost all NHL contracts are overpays these days, except maybe that first "team friendly" deal that some RFAs agree to before they hit the bridge or huge UFA deal age. But all UFA deals look like they'll be regretted in the end. I couldn't believe the new CBA deal got done without a compliance buyout so GMs could get rid of some old mistakes.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:56 am 

Isles always have to make it interesting. They played well for maybe half of that game. Great come back in the final minutes to send it to OT. Fucking horrible non-call when Hart caught the puck behind the Flyers goal and started skating to the front of the net with it in his glove. I yelled "alright, powerplay!" Nope. The ref seemed to speak to Hart like he's a mite, rotating into the goalie position for this game, and let it go. I told Mrs.18 right then "The Flyers will force a game 6 within the 2 minutes the Isles should have a PP". Wish I'd bet a lot of money on it! I was dead on. A second deflection goal. Isles better end it Thursday because Giroux and JVR both scored and the Isles don't want those guys getting confidence.

Couturier left the game about halfway through the 2nd after awkwardly hitting Barzal. He didn't put any weight on his right leg on the way off the ice.
Barzal left the game a few minutes later when Giroux's follow through went under Barzal's visor and cut him in the eye/bridge of nose area. No call since it was a follow through, but it's weird because Giroux's dump in was maybe 6" high so I don't get why he had to bring his stick blade up to 6' high. I don't think he did it on purpose, because he winced while watching the replay.
I hope both teams' top centers are okay for Game 6.

Game 6, Thursday at 7 PM Eastern. No fucking Game 7!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:53 pm 

Jesus fucking Christ. 3-1 series lead and it's not going to Game 7. Disco sucks. Fuck everything.

Varlamov wasn't exactly stellar last night. Or in Game 5.
Eberle hasn't scored a playoff goal since last year when he had 4 in 4 vs the Penguins. He's got 5 assists in 6 games vs the Flyers, but he couldn't hit an open net if he was alone in the zone. Fucking reminds me of Chuck Knoblauch trying to throw to first. If Eberle gets a shot it's like every fiber of his being is screaming "DON'T FUCKING MISS!!!! YOU FUCKING MISSED!!!" Ug. At least his passing is still on point.

Mayfield's stick breaking in the 2nd OT- motherfucking fuck. That's so fucking Islanders.

I've been calm on here for a few years I think. Not fucking now!

:chairshot: :chairshot: :chairshot: :chairshot: :chairshot: :chairshot: :chairshot: :chairshot: :chairshot: :chairshot: :chairshot: :chairshot: :chairshot: :chairshot: :chairshot: :chairshot: :chairshot: :chairshot: :chairshot: :chairshot: :chairshot: :chairshot: :chairshot: :chairshot: :chairshot: :chairshot: :chairshot: :chairshot: :chris18: :chris18: :chris18: :chris18: :chris18: :chris18: :chris18: :chris18: :chris18: :chris18: :chris18: :chris18: :chris18: :chris18: :chris18: :chris18: :chris18: :chris18: :chris18: :chris18: :chris18: :chris18: :chris18: :chris18: :chris18: :chris18: :chris18: :chris18: :chris18: :chris18: :chris18: :chris18: :chris18: :chris18: :chris18: :fffffuck: :fffffuck: :fffffuck: :fffffuck: :fffffuck: :fffffuck: :fffffuck: :fffffuck: :fffffuck: :fffffuck: :fffffuck: :fffffuck: :fffffuck: :fffffuck: :fffffuck: :fffffuck: :fffffuck: :fffffuck: :fffffuck: :fffffuck: :fffffuck: :fffffuck: :fffffuck: :fffffuck: :fffffuck: :fffffuck: :fffffuck:

Game fucking 7 Saturday, 7:30 PM. Only game left to play at that point. Bolts have been sitting back sipping fucking margaritas for a few days watching the Isles fall apart.

I have no idea what to expect from them Saturday. They've come up big at points this year. They've fallen flat. Last Game 7 they were in was 5 years ago against the caps and they didn't show up to that one. Granted, Trotz was coaching the other team at that time and the Isles had Capuano then. His deep strategy seemed to be "keep it outta our net and put it in theirs boys!"

Which goalie will the Isles start? No fucking clue! Varlamov was amazing through like 10 playoff games. Then he shit the bed. Greiss looked great in like 1.75 games, but he does that- he'll make you think he's a real #1 goalie and then he has one of those games when a toddler rolling a beach ball could score on him. You know what sucks dog balls? The Isles' best fucking goalie is sitting up in the press box, "observing" his new team blow a 3-1 series lead because some dickbag in the NHL decided to change an old rule, specifically for this year. Why? Because the Isles can't have nice things. No, I don't actually believe it's a conspiracy against them, but it does kick their balls the hardest.

Will AV ask for another failed challenge?

Will I live through a Game 7? Who knows? I'm old and fat. My heart isn't meant for this shit. I thought they had it very well in hand at 3-1. Figured they might lose Game 5 but thought they'd handle Game 6 well if so... Nope!

So Game 7 it is. Fuck me, with a shovel.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:05 pm 
Big in Japan

Shocked at what's happening to the Isles right now. Is it mostly Varly or have the Isles gone flat? Really strange to see.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:47 am 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Varly has never been elite--the closest he came to that was the 2013-14 Avs with Patrick Roy behind the bench, that team DGAF about defense and he was playing at a Vezina-caliber clip. But that was it, he came back down to earth afterwards. I don't think he's really durable enough to be an everyday starter. Greiss should've gotten the nod at some point in this series.

That said, I really haven't loved this series. On paper it should've been a lot more fun, but it's just been a slog. I blame the Flyboys more than the Isles for that. They've looked HORRIBLE every time I watch. None of their supposed big guns have done much of anything. Their most consistent offensive weapon has been...Scott Laughton?

Either way, unless Kucherov and/or Hedman are really banged up, I think the winner of this series is going to be easy pickings for Tampa.

Only thing I like about Philly is the fact that Oskar Lindblom somehow made it back onto the ice the same season he had to take off to get treated for frickin' BONE CANCER. My God...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:12 am 

Varlamov was way above average vs Florida and Washington. He was in games 1 - 3 vs Philly. He's been below average since, but the Flyers have also been getting a shitload of traffic in front of him. Tough to stop what you can't see. Most of Philly's goals have been deflected by Flyer forwards or Isles D. They need to clear the fucking crease for him.
That said, he's let in a few softies and the Isles don't score a lot in general. So they have a smaller margin for error.

For all this shit about the Isles playing "boring" hockey- they had 50+ shots in the last game. That's not how they normally play, but to say this series has been boring is just bullshit, said by people obviously not watching it all. There's been tons of hits, a load of lead changes, some great saves, some great goals, plenty of challenged goals that have lead to controversy, etc. It went from tied 1-1, to the Isles leading 3-1, to a fucking Game 7. 3 OT games... Boring? Tell that to my heart, which is about to explode and shoot 45 years worth of cholesterol overindulgence all over the house. Okay, maybe that's partially my own fault, but seriously, boring is not a word I'd use to describe this series.

And even hating the Flyers in general and obviously wanting them to lose, I'm incredibly happy for them and Lindblom that he's healthy enough to play playoff hockey. Some things are bigger than hockey, and beating cancer is most definitely one of them! Very happy for the kid! That said, I want this season's comeback to only last 2 games.

Game fucking 7. Last game of the second round. Last game in Toronto. Here's hoping the Isles are boarding a plane for Edmonton! :beer: :viking:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:19 pm 

Greiss in net.

Mayfield with a beauty from Toews and Eberle.
Gandalph the Greene from Nelson and Brassard.

2-0 Isles after the 1st. Raise your hand if you thought Mayfield and Greene would have the Isles first to 2 goals. Yep.... Nobody on the planet thought that.

I still may have a heart attack. If I don't ever post again, it's been real dudes!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:17 pm 

3-0 Isles after 2. Nelson from Bailey & Pulock.

Pulock blasted a slap shot into Provorov's knee. Fucking ouch. But he's back after having laid there like his leg was broken. Feet were kicking like he was running. That's some adrenaline right there.

Eberle got hit and I'm not sure whose stick it was, Eberle or a Flyer's, but Barzal got nailed in the nose. Bleeding like a mofo. He also caught a ricocheted shot in warm ups that nailed him in the heat, knocking his helmet off. Rough day for That Kid.

20 minutes to go. I listened to The Clash's Clampdown like 10 times today. Time for the Isles to clampdown on the Flyers.

Flyers have 9 shots through 2 periods. Guess the Isles HAVE been clamping down on them pretty well. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:16 pm 

Holy flaming shit balls! Isles with a 4-0 win. Beauvillier with an empty netter with about 6:00 to go.

Off to Edmonton to most likely get their asses whooped by Tampa. But it's the first time since I was a senior in high school that they've made the ECF.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:29 pm 
Big in Japan

Greiss! Congrats Isles!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:01 am 

And this time you get to watch and cheer with your daughters. Enjoy it Chris, you maybe cheering with your grandkids next time it comes around.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:00 am 

Fogghorn wrote:
And this time you get to watch and cheer with your daughters. Enjoy it Chris, you maybe cheering with your grandkids next time it comes around.

My older daughter is away at college. But she's taking over one of the lounges in her dorm to watch games. She made a few hockey fan friends, and has earned the hate/respect of many Ranger fans. A few guys tried to pull the "you're just a girl. What could you know about the game?" angle and she schooled them. She's got some funny stories.

But yeah, it's fun! Went to bed smiling and woke up smiling. That's totally unheard of for me. :lol:

Frigging great that Mayfield scored his first playoff goal as the GWG for Game 7 after his stick broke on a pass attempt in Game 6's OT. That's some serious redemption.
And Greene hadn't scored a playoff goal in 10 years, nets 2 in this series.

Isles won the last game played in Toronto. I still find it weird for them to be going to Edmonton already. Then again, this entire year is obviously odd. And maybe changing scenery is good for them. Isles fans are already funding getting a plane to fly around the hotel with a LET'S GO ISLANDERS banner. That's pretty cool. The players saw the one in Toronto and appreciated it.

Isles were 2-1 against the Lightning this season. Most previews I've read have the Lightning winning pretty easily. Not so sure about the "easily" part. The Lightning have a lot more playoff experience, but the Isles are getting it quickly. Going through some adversity (almost blowing a 3-1 series lead) helped them learn some lessons about closing a series. The players talked a lot about that.

Trotz's post-game interview was great. He immediately said he wanted to make a statement before questions, and then said how great it is that Lindblom was not only to beat cancer, but to make a comeback and play. Said it's really inspiring, etc. He praised the Flyers org for supporting Lindblom and for being a great team that was really tough to close out. Class all the way.

Isles travel to Edmonton today. I assume the Lightning have been there for a few days. Big advantage to be rested and settled in. That's what the Isles get for not being able to close out the Flyers in 5 or 6. But maybe they'll ride an emotional high after winning Game 7 so convincingly. I hope so!

Game 1- Monday, 9/7, 8 PM eastern. The rest of the schedule isn't even up yet. Why not? Did they not think teams would make it this far? :lol: It's not like there are other events going on at the arena. Frigging NHL.

It should be noted that Greiss was in net for their first playoff series win in 23 years vs Fl 4 years ago. Now he was in net for the win to get them to the ECF for the first time in 27 years. Did the latter while knowing the org is more than happy to replace him as soon as Sorokin is allowed to play. But in his interview, all he did was praise his teammates for making it possible for him to do those things. Shame the 3 headed goalie monster never works out.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 3:37 pm 

Plenty of room on the Isles Bandwagon. Only team left with an OTP fan.

ALL ABOARD!!! :bandwagon:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:31 pm 

Chris18 wrote:

but what if we want to invest our emotional capital in a winner?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:56 pm 

Fogghorn wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

but what if we want to invest our emotional capital in a winner?

Then you sir, can go shit in your hat!

Rest of the schedule:
Monday, Sept. 7, 8 p.m.: Islanders vs. Lightning | NBCSN, CBC, SN, TVAS
Wednesday, Sept. 9, 8 p.m.: Islanders vs. Lightning | NBCSN, CBC, TVAS
Friday, Sept. 11, 8 p.m.: Lightning vs. Islanders | USA, CBC, SN TVAS
Sunday, Sept. 13, 3 p.m.: Lightning vs. Islanders | NBC, CBC, SN, TVAS
*Tuesday, Sept. 15, 8 p.m.: Islanders vs. Lightning | NBCSN, CBC, SN, TVAS
*Thursday, Sept. 17, 8 p.m.: Lightning vs. Islanders | NBCSN, CBC, SN, TVAS
*Saturday, Sept. 19, 7:30 p.m.: Islanders vs. Lightning | NBC, CBC, SN, TVAS

No back to backs. Kind of a bummer. I like teams having to use their backup goalie at least once in a series. Tests their depth.

And for anyone saying the Isles play "boring hockey", of the 4 remaining teams, Goals for averages:
1. Isles 3.38
2. Stars 3.31
3. Vegas 3.27
4. Bolts 3.00

Just read that John Cooper has said Stamkos will not play in the ECF round. :shock: Either that's some serious gamesmanship or Stamkos is hurt pretty badly.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:45 am 

Game 1- that went really well. :roll: Eberle gets a PP goal early to tie it at one. Then seemingly satisfied with that, the Isles waited until the Lightning had 6 to score again (Leddy). Then they felt so good they watched the Lightning make it 8-2. Greiss started and was pulled after allowing 3 on 9 shots. Varlamov replaced him and saved 20/25. All while their best goalie, Sorokin, watches from NHL jail due to a rule change this year, because, NHL.

Trotz looked furious on the bench. I turned the game off after it became 8-2. I actually washed some dishes during the start of the 3rd period. Apparently Johnston had a misconduct. No idea what he did. Martin and Sergachev got roughing minors at the same time as Johnston's misconduct.

Anyone watched Cobra Kai on Netflix? It's pretty good. That's what I put on after the Bolts got 8. Finished the series pretty quickly. Seems like the Lightning will too.

Game 2 Wednesday. Hopefully the Isles show up for this one.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:44 am 
King of Men

Clean it up Isles!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:25 am 

Isles said all the right things after Game 1's ass whooping. Tonight, we'll see if they can put it into action.
Trotz said they know it was their worst game in a long time, but that most of the mistakes are easy fixes.
The players who spoke said they were bummed for 30 seconds-10 minutes, then began to focus on Game 2.
Clutterbuck will be a game time decision after taking a slap shot to the side of his ribs. I wouldn't mind seeing Johnston on the 4th line and Dal Colle on the third. Dal Colle has done a great job of forechecking all year long. He forces a lot of turnovers. Could set up Pageau in the slot nicely. Hell, I wouldn't mind seeing the return of Tom Kuhnackl if it means keeping Komarov out of the lineup.
The biggest question is whether Greiss or Varlamov are ready. Both looked beyond shaky in Game 1.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:20 am 

Game 2- Isles made some huge adjustments (read- stopped trying to send every single fucking breakout attempt on the boards) and played a much better game, and still lost.

Matt Martin matched his regular season (55 games) goal total with his 5th playoff goal, 1:14 into the game. Seemed like a great start for the Isles. I wasn't even at the couch yet.
Shortly after, Devon Toews did the one thing he's done repeatedly for years that drives me insane- he dumped the puck from like 4-5' BEHIND the red line and then looked shocked that icing was called. I mumbled "and here's where they tie it up. Thanks Toews." And a Hedman slapper did just that, right off the faceoff.
Killorn then destroyed Nelson from behind, with a late hit from behind. Puck was moved about a second earlier, if not more and Nelson had no idea Killorn was coming from behind. He got a major and a game misconduct. Isles ran the worst PP I've seen in a long time, and I coach young kids. Nelson went off for concussion protocol and missed most of the 1st & 2nd periods.
Nelson's return was greeted with Goodrow's shoulder to his jaw in a high hit, sending Nelson's stick flying so he had to turn to kick the puck along the boards. So Goodrow crosschecked him in the back of the head/neck, dropping him. No calls on anything. Kerry Fraser said he'd have given a major for each of those. I doubt he really would. I think he's looking to get his name mentioned... Maybe DPS looks at it, but in the conference finals, I can't see them doing anything besides a fine, if that. No clue if Goodrow is a repeat offender, but he should be considered one after that shit.
The Isles kept playing well, Vasilevsky kept bailing the Lightning out. With the game tied, he Isles put on a line of Pageau (good), Komarov (what?) and (triple checks notes) Andrew Ladd??? for they thought would be the final shift of regulation. And it was- but it was also the final shift of the game, as Kucherov scored with about 8 seconds to play, left WIDE FUCKING OPEN in front.
So the Isles are down 2-0 after playing a dumpster fire of a game 1, and a really good game 2, other than their powerplay which is a dumpster fire with the dumpster being filled with decaying roadkill, shit, and medical waste.

Game 3 Friday. What a great way to ruin my Friday night! Watch them go down 3-0.

Lou was nominated for the GM of the Year award. Along with the GMs for the Lightning and Stars. Poor McPhee is the only conference finalist not nominated and he built that team in 3 years. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:49 pm 
Big in Japan

Isles did well to rebound from their shellacking, but the Bolts are strong. Gonna be hard to bounce back 2-0.

BTW, did I see Barry Trotz nowhere near the top of Jack Adams voting? What's up with that?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 369 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next