OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 3:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:07 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Since the announcement of the most recent lockout, I said a few times that I wouldn't attend another NHL game until the Isles were in Brooklyn (ie, 2.5 seasons after the announcement). Yesterday my younger daughter asked if her birthday present this year could be going to her first Isles game. So, I'm happily giving in. We are going to the only day game in the first half of the season, which happens to be 2 days before her birthday. Sounds like it was meant to be.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:20 pm 
OTP Historian

Can't possibly say no to that :D

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:40 pm 

Me thinks you were always just waiting for the right excuse/opportunity to back pedal, this would certainly qualify. Good call. :D

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:54 pm 
Big in Japan

The Isles might be good this season!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:49 pm 

Fogghorn wrote:
Me thinks you were always just waiting for the right excuse/opportunity to back pedal, this would certainly qualify. Good call. :D

I actually wasn't. I hate the Coliseum! But my wife just found tickets 4 rows behind the Isles bench for $79 each including all the BS fees. Sites that allow season ticket holders to sell off games they don't want to go to are awesome! Saving almost $100/ticket. Shame is, now the kid will expect seats like that every time. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:58 am 
King of the One-Liner

First row of the top bowl behind one of the nets is my favorite place to watch a game for the game. Not looking through much glass and you can see plays develop.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:22 pm 

Going this Saturday, vs the Blues. Very well could be Brodeur in net for the Blues. My wife is psyched for that! She royally pissed Marty off years ago when we were 2 rows behind his net in Bridgeport for a pre-season Isles/Devils game. It was shortly after the news about his affair with his sister-in-law broke. I don't remember her exact words, but she yelled something about the affair that made him turn around furiously glaring at her, and Arron Asham (still an Isle) laugh all the way to the bench.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:47 am 

So psyched for this. Miss 18.2's first NHL game, her birthday gift, Isles in 1st place, last year in the Coliseum... Should be awesome. :D

Jake Allen rumored to be starting for the Blues since Brodeur played Thursday. Our seats are behind the end of the Isles bench (4th row!) so we can't heckle Marty. Shame. No word on Isles starter in net. They may ride Halak's hot hand, or give Johnson a chance to show the home crowd he's better than his .873 save %. He's said he knows he needs to be better. Maybe they give him a chance to prove it against a good team. I wouldn't.

The rain on the parade: Boychuk, Visnovsky and Hamonic are all on the IR, along with Clutterbuck. Clutterbuck made room for Grabner's return, so that's not a huge deal, but 3 of their top 4 D are out now. That's not good for any team. Griffin Reinhart is back up and hopefully has improved from his first 3 NHL games earlier this year. Ryan Pulock and his cannon from the point make their NHL debut. He's leading all AHL rookies with 8 goals, and is a right handed shot, so he may actually get some PP time. Capuano said the other day that Boychuk & Hamonic "won't be playing any time soon". I'm thinking separated shoulder for Hamonic. Still no idea on Boychuk.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:04 pm 
Distinguished Gentleman of OTP

Welcome back to live NHL action and have a great time. You are passing on your love of NHL hockey to your daughter. She will always remember this. Would you please take some photos to post in here if you are comfortable doing that so we can share in an, always, happy occasion.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 4:22 pm 
OTP Historian

Have a great time, Chris!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:47 am 

My wife took some photos but I don't have them yet. (Read: Chris is not allowed to touch photographer wife's camera) She doesn't let any photos leave her camera without being touched up, and with the holidays, she's got a billion to edit. Sometime soon though.

I have to say that sitting 4th row actually kind of sucked. :lol: We had to watch anything on our side at the far end of the ice on the jumbotron because the benches were in the way. The people in that area also don't seem to appreciate anyone speaking above a whisper. We joined in a "Let's go Islanders" chant and received "looks". And I was really distracted by the interactions on the Isles' bench. I don't think Weight is too impressed with Capuano. Weight is good enough to not make any faces, but his body language when they speak says he disagrees with Capuano. Lots of folding of his arms and leaning back when Capuano is talking to him, then a sigh as he turns away after the chat.

All in all, it was a fun event, although the Isles blowing a 3-0 first period lead to lose 6-4 sucked. And the Blues brought in Brodeur for the 2nd period, which started a chorus of "Uncle Daddy" chants. That was fun to explain to the kids. :lol: But both kids had fun and want to go to more games. :D

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:02 am 
OTP Historian

Sorry that they couldn't win the game for you, but the entire night sounds like a win :)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:57 am 

Bosc wrote:
Sorry that they couldn't win the game for you, but the entire night sounds like a win :)

Yeah, totally. They also got to see the Isles pre-game show being recorded live. They don't do it in a studio, but in the downstairs lobby, by a few of the bars & concessions stands. I can't believe they don't get more people yelling into it. It was kind of eye opening; my kids really like Shannon Hogan, the Isles new behind the scenes reporter during games. She finished a segment, and wasn't sure if the cameras were off for the commercial break. She asked once and nobody heard her. Then she growled "are we off????" and took out her iphone to text like a demon. Older daughter asked "is she seriously texting during commercials? What is she- 13?" This coming from a 12 year old. :lol: I said she might be getting info from someone for the show... "Yeah, I'm sure Snow is texting her about a big trade he's making. Please." I love the cynicism from the kid.

Went to the team store afterwards. Younger daughter wanted an Isles baseball hat (ugly hat, but oh well. They're blue and orange...) and the older wanted a player photo for her wall (to hang next to photos of Cammi Granato & the entire '96 US women's gold medal team). She chose Matt Martin. What. The. Fuck? I asked why him. "No more Tavares, and Okposo's face looks like he's an idiot in that pic. Martin doesn't take any crap. I want to play more like him." So there you have it.

Younger daughter also found the "ice girls" to be stupid, even in their holiday outfiits. "Why are they figure skating? Why don't they have hockey player girls out there? Why are they kicking their legs up like that? It makes their skirts fly up. Nobody wants to see your drawers lady!" That last line was met with much amusement in our area. Even if some guys disagreed...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:06 pm 

Round two!

For my birthday, my awesome wife got the two of us tickets to this Tuesday's Isles-Rangers game. :D

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:58 pm 
OTP Historian

Chris18 wrote:
Round two!

For my birthday, my awesome wife got the two of us tickets to this Tuesday's Isles-Rangers game. :D

Awesome, great game!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:03 am 

Bosc wrote:
Chris18 wrote:
Round two!

Awesome, great game!

Not last week's game- Tuesday the 27th. Hopefully it will be as good a game though.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:59 am 
Distinguished Gentleman of OTP

Chris18 wrote:
Round two!

Excellent.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:10 am 
OTP Historian

Chris18 wrote:
Bosc wrote:
Chris18 wrote:
Round two!

Awesome, great game!

Not last week's game- Tuesday the 27th. Hopefully it will be as good a game though.

I gathered that by the "this Tuesday". Should have been a little more clear on "should be a great game" :)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:00 am 

Bosc wrote:
Chris18 wrote:
Bosc wrote:
Chris18 wrote:
Round two!

Awesome, great game!

I gathered that by the "this Tuesday". Should have been a little more clear on "should be a great game" :)

Okay, yeah I thought you meant the game from last week. :)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:23 am 

Fucking wish it was last week. Supposed to get like 30" of snow today/tomorrow. :chairshot: