OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 11:21 am 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

http://weblogs.newsday.com/sports/hocke ... uchen.html

Just some general roster notes for next year. The Isles obviously have the #1 pick in this year's draft, but they also hold the 26th pick as well.

Here's a look at their lines/depth chart without penciling in who their top pick might be:

Sean Bergenheim-Doug Weight-Kyle Okposo
Jeff Tambellini-Frans Nielsen-Trent Hunter
Blake Comeau-Josh Bailey-Richard Park
Jon Sim-Nate Thompson-Tim Jackman

Mark Streit-Bruno Gervais
Brendan Witt-Radek Martinek
Andy Sutton-Freddy Meyer
Jack Hillen

Rick Dipietro
no backup

Since Doug Weight is obviously a placeholder until Bailey and likely Tavares are experienced enough for front line duties, I think the obvious solution is to move Bailey to the wing for most of this coming year. Obviously, injuries may force the Isles into a situation where they will play them all at C anyways, but it's all about incramental development for the young guys. You don't want Bailey or even Nielsen at this point buried on the 4th line.

If they got the Hedman route, Jack Hillen can still be sent to the AHL and I think Hedman could use an experienced guy like Martinek or Sutton as a regular D partner. I don't expect them to pick Hedman, but you never know. This team could've had Luke Schenn last year but traded down to accumulate more draft picks and get Bailey instead, so it seems ridiculous to think they'd want the d-man now.

Apparently neither MacDonald nor Danis will be offered new contracts, despite playing in most of the 77 games Dipietro missed. It appears the Islanders will go after a guy like Craig Anderson on the open market, or possibly Scott Clemmensen, Matiheu Garon or Ty Conklin. It wouldn't shock me to see Danis go to Pittsburgh or Florida to replace one of those outgoing UFA goalies.

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 1:15 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Man, that D is awful, and this is coming from someone who had to watch the Avs all year. Logically they should go for Hedman, but above all else you gotta get fans excited about this team again. Tavares will be an Islander next month. Of course I say this hoping they will indeed take him--I won't complain if we have to "settle" for Hedman and Tavares, but Duchene is the kind of player we desperately need right now.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 12:30 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Bailey was picked specifically to be a Center.

I think Sim's days are done. Probably be waived again.
I thought Thompson was a UFA.

Play anyone with Martinek- they'll have the chance for a few different partners throughout the season. Mr. Glass-bones has yet to play anywhere near a full season.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 12:06 am 
King of the One-Liner

Maybe keep Hedman in the AHL next year for North American growing pains?

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 8:58 pm 

Hounsy wrote:
Maybe keep Hedman in the AHL next year for North American growing pains?

At 6'6", I should think he's gone through plenty of growing pains.

<Insert obligatory "What would Chris18 know about growing?" joke here>

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:47 pm 

Snow is acting like a 5 year old. When asked who he's taking in the draft he is replying "I know, but I'm not telling."

Doug Weight spent time with each of the top 3. He said Duchene is filled out, Tavares is thin, but wants to be great & win, and Hedman is very big. I think he has assured himself a post-playing, color commentary position with that in depth analysis. "I think whoever wants to win is going to have to score more goals" type brilliance.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:57 pm 

Chris18 wrote:
I think he has assured himself a post-playing, color commentary position with that in depth analysis. "I think whoever wants to win is going to have to score more goals" type brilliance.

When the Habs get eliminated, I used to be asked by my friends some kind of "what do they need to do" and I simply retorted with "they need to score more goals than the other team more often next year". They've quit asking me for my amazing post-ops.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:16 am 

saskhab wrote:
Chris18 wrote:
I think he has assured himself a post-playing, color commentary position with that in depth analysis. "I think whoever wants to win is going to have to score more goals" type brilliance.

When the Habs get eliminated, I used to be asked by my friends some kind of "what do they need to do" and I simply retorted with "they need to score more goals than the other team more often next year". They've quit asking me for my amazing post-ops.

They didn't ask for goalie profiles?

In related news, the Daily News reports that 'size matters' to Snow this draft. I suppose that hints at Hedman.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:03 am 
Rebel Sell + Moneyball = Life

Passing up on Tavares seems like a huge PR mistake if they do it... also, Hedman will presumably have a longer adjustment period (even if it's still short), and they need fans/excitement/incremental improvement, etc.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:47 am 
King of the One-Liner

I look at Kovy in Atlanta and think what ever you think it takes to be a contender is a far better move than going for the sexy player.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:12 pm 

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=282318

Even TSN doesn't know which way Snow is leaning. I remember in 2004 that Washington said absolutely nothing about who they were going to pick as well, but it would've taken some balls to take Malkin over Ovechkin, although the two were considered be pretty equal even at that point (and history has so far shown little difference hockey wise, though a big difference in marketability).

If Snow has said that the thorough prospect evaluation only confirmed his initial pick, then I think we can rule out Duchene, who was a late challenger based on his OHL playoff performance. It really is just Tavares or Hedman.

As per Housny's Kovalchuk comparison, it's not like Atlanta would've been better off picking Jason Spezza or Alex Svitov (no matter what E.L. tells you). That Atlanta has failed to surround Kovalchuk with good players is the problem. They were looking decent in 2007 leading up to the trade deadline... but lost Savard to UFA, traded Coburn, dealt a first for Tkachunk, and had to deal Hossa a year later.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:18 pm 
OTP Historian

saskhab wrote:
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=282318

Even TSN doesn't know which way Snow is leaning. I remember in 2004 that Washington said absolutely nothing about who they were going to pick as well, but it would've taken some balls to take Malkin over Ovechkin, although the two were considered be pretty equal even at that point (and history has so far shown little difference hockey wise, though a big difference in marketability).

I don't remember hearing that they were viewed as equals, but I do remember the idea was that most teams would take Ovechkin because he would immediately be the better player. It was a little mixed on who would be in the long run, though. I remember some opinions that Malkin would be the better player over time.

Ovechkin's pick for Washington was a lottery win when Pitts finished last. Makes you wonder what would have happened if Pitts had won that lottery.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:40 pm 

BoscUlrichIII wrote:
Ovechkin's pick for Washington was a lottery win when Pitts finished last. Makes you wonder what would have happened if Pitts had won that lottery.

And Chicago finished 2nd last, the Caps were 3rd worst that year. Here's a couple of scenarios:

Pittsburgh would have had one less ball in the 2005 draft lotto. Anyone that won a draft lottery in the previous 3 years had a ball taken away (Pittsburgh traded up for the #1 in 2003, so they didn't lose a chance because of that), and you also had a ball taken away if you made the playoffs in that 3 year span as well. Was the ball that gave them the win in the Crosby sweeps that extra one? Who knows. The Caps would have gotten that extra ball in the lotto.

Chicago would have had Malkin and Toews. They may not have won the 2007 lotto, though, as 2006-07 was Malkin's rookie year and he may have made enough of a difference to keep Chicago out of the running (and potentially a playoff spot, who knows), so I'd say it would mean Kane wouldn't be a Blackhawk. I'd trade Kane for Malkin, though it'd more accurately be Kane and Barker for Malkin (and another '07 first rounder, a little later).

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:53 pm 
OTP Historian

saskhab wrote:
BoscUlrichIII wrote:

And Chicago finished 2nd last, the Caps were 3rd worst that year. Here's a couple of scenarios:

Pittsburgh would have had one less ball in the 2005 draft lotto. Anyone that won a draft lottery in the previous 3 years had a ball taken away (Pittsburgh traded up for the #1 in 2003, so they didn't lose a chance because of that), and you also had a ball taken away if you made the playoffs in that 3 year span as well. Was the ball that gave them the win in the Crosby sweeps that extra one? Who knows. The Caps would have gotten that extra ball in the lotto.

Chicago would have had Malkin and Toews. They may not have won the 2007 lotto, though, as 2006-07 was Malkin's rookie year and he may have made enough of a difference to keep Chicago out of the running (and potentially a playoff spot, who knows), so I'd say it would mean Kane wouldn't be a Blackhawk. I'd trade Kane for Malkin, though it'd more accurately be Kane and Barker for Malkin (and another '07 first rounder, a little later).

You're right. Things could have turned out a lot differently had Pitts won that lottery.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:00 pm 

BoscUlrichIII wrote:
You're right. Things could have turned out a lot differently had Pitts won that lottery.

And five years later, those 3 teams have done pretty well for themselves.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:36 pm 

http://tsn.ca/columnists/bob_mckenzie/?id=282318

Funny stuff.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:03 pm 

Av-merican wrote:
http://tsn.ca/columnists/bob_mckenzie/?id=282318

Funny stuff.

Uh, that's what I posted to re-start this conversation earlier today.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:07 pm 

Oops.

:haawaafap:

While I won't whine or bitch if for some odd reason Tavares falls to #3 (I really cannot see Hedman falling that far) the more I hear about Duchene the more I want him over the other two guys. Again, if guys like Shattenkirk and Gaunce work out they can complement Liles and we'll have a good puckmoving D once again. It's up front (and of course in goal) where I just don't think the talent exists.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:22 pm 
Rebel Sell + Moneyball = Life

Av-merican wrote:
Oops.

:haawaafap:

While I won't whine or bitch if for some odd reason Tavares falls to #3 (I really cannot see Hedman falling that far) the more I hear about Duchene the more I want him over the other two guys. Again, if guys like Shattenkirk and Gaunce work out they can complement Liles and we'll have a good puckmoving D once again. It's up front (and of course in goal) where I just don't think the talent exists.

If Tavares falls to Colorado, I might have to give up on following the NHL. It will be as clear a sign as any that the hockey gods sleep with a burgundy blanket and a Patrick Roy doll.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:02 pm 
King of the One-Liner

saskhab wrote:
As per Housny's Kovalchuk comparison, it's not like Atlanta would've been better off picking Jason Spezza or Alex Svitov (no matter what E.L. tells you). That Atlanta has failed to surround Kovalchuk with good players is the problem. They were looking decent in 2007 leading up to the trade deadline... but lost Savard to UFA, traded Coburn, dealt a first for Tkachunk, and had to deal Hossa a year later.

No all my comparison was about was to say the team needs to number one win to sell tickets not have an offensive superstar. But that was not to say the offensive star is not the right path to winning either. I keep seeing that they have to draft Tevares to sell tickets and I don't believe one equals the other.