OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:16 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

The two have the same agent, are apparently BFFs and were basically pushing themselves as a package. Sure it's overpaying, but as seen on July 1, very few established players wanted to sign with the Isles. So, welcome to Misfit Island guys!

Grabovski should certainly help with faceoffs. He's over 50% every year. Isles were about 47% last year.

Lee-JT- Okposo
Kulemin-Grabovski-Grabner
Nelson-Nielsen-Bailey
Martin-Cizikas-Clutterbuck
Scratches- Boulton, McDonald. Conacher. Strome back to Bridgeport to await call-up.

OR, move 2 forwards for some D-help.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:20 am 
OTP Historian

Hopefully Kulemin can get his scoring touch back.

Grabovski...don't hire Carlyle as your coach.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:57 am 

Bosc wrote:
Hopefully Kulemin can get his scoring touch back.

Grabovski...don't hire Carlyle as your coach.

Hoping Capuano is smart enough to see that these guys want to play an up-tempo offensive game.

Pretty happy with the Isles forwards and net. If they could get a real 1-2 D-man they'd be a legit playoff threat.
Other than whiffing on Boyle, Snow has done a good job this summer. And I'm not even sure Boyle is what they needed. It's just embarrassing to have another guy bail on them.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:58 pm 

In response to Snow's comment after drafting Ho-Sang.
http://www.lighthousehockey.com/2014/7/ ... oo-t-shirt

:lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:40 pm 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/540774

Sounds like Capuano is thinking of a top line of Nelson-Tavares-Okposo while splitting up Grabbo and Kulemin to start with, knowing what they can accomplish when paired together. Basically confirms that the Isles will run the gauntlet down the middle of Tavares/Grabovski/Nielsen and make almost all the East weep as a result.

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:01 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Well Chris, take solace in the fact that your team's offseason has gone a HELL of a lot better than my team's offseason thus far...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:42 pm 

Av-merican wrote:
Well Chris, take solace in the fact that your team's offseason has gone a HELL of a lot better than my team's offseason thus far...

Since the Avs are in the west, I take no solace in that. Much of the east looks improved. And I have given up on being optimistic for the Isles during off-seasons. Every year (except last year) I think they've gotten better, only to be very disappointed.

Don't know how Grabovski & Kulemin will respond to being split up. Supposedly part of their package deal was a promise that they'd play together. This sounds like another Capuano mis-read. Frigging moron. So he'd have Grabovski centering the 3rd line, okay fine. What line is Kulemin destined for? Top line is Nelson/Lee/Strome-Tavares-Okposo. Second will be Grabner-Nielsen-Lee/Bailey. Fourth line Clutterbuck-Cizikas-Martin/Boulton. Third line sounds like the one for Kulemin & Grabovski to me... I know I'm forgetting a few forwards in there. I'm on vacation... But who knows who will be traded before the start of the season? They are supposed to still be looking to trade for a legit D-man, but mainly waiting until arbitration rulings are in so some teams need to move for cap compliance.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:37 pm 

I don't think the East looks improved. The Caps made one very good move, one terrible one and lost their 2C to you guys. The Flyers are a garbage fire. The Rangers are worse, but not worse enough to miss the playoffs. The Isles and Devils improved. The Hurricanes did nothing. The Blue Jackets are stronger thanks to picking off Hartnell from the Flyers.

None of the non-playoff Atlantic teams did anything impactful. The Red Wings didn't, either. Bruins are worse, Habs and Bolts are better, but none of that impacts the Isles playoff chances.

The Isles and Devils are the two non-playoff teams that definitely got better out East to the point where it could impact the playoff groupings.

There's a playoff spot (Flyers), maybe two (Red Wings) up for grabs in the East and the Isles look like one of two teams that could take advantage of that.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:16 am 
OTP Historian

saskhab wrote:
I don't think the East looks improved. The Caps made one very good move, one terrible one and lost their 2C to you guys. The Flyers are a garbage fire. The Rangers are worse, but not worse enough to miss the playoffs. The Isles and Devils improved. The Hurricanes did nothing. The Blue Jackets are stronger thanks to picking off Hartnell from the Flyers.

None of the non-playoff Atlantic teams did anything impactful. The Red Wings didn't, either. Bruins are worse, Habs and Bolts are better, but none of that impacts the Isles playoff chances.

The Isles and Devils are the two non-playoff teams that definitely got better out East to the point where it could impact the playoff groupings.

There's a playoff spot (Flyers), maybe two (Red Wings) up for grabs in the East and the Isles look like one of two teams that could take advantage of that.

I'm hoping Detroit will see better results with a drastic improvement in health and continued improvement from the kids. A healthier season from Howard will hopefully bring some more consistency.

I like the Isles moves. Hopefully we see improvement and a playoff spot from them(though not at the expense of Detroit). Just getting some decent goaltending should have a huge impact.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:07 pm 

Avs will be on NBCSN a total of 7 times this upcoming season, Isles will be on exactly zero.

You'd think a good offseason and one of the league's most dynamic players would factor into these decisions.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:54 pm 

saskhab wrote:

What was the one good move the Caps made? Firing Oates?

Trying to figure out if the Pens actually improved. Neal wasn't really working out for them so I suppose shipping him off for Hornqvist and signing Ehrhoff on the cheap is a pretty good step forward.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:44 am 

Av-merican wrote:
Avs will be on NBCSN a total of 7 times this upcoming season, Isles will be on exactly zero.

You'd think a good offseason and one of the league's most dynamic players would factor into these decisions.

They've been a joke far more years than not lately, so I'm not at all surprised. I couldn't care less: I hate those NBC broadcasters. Then again I hate Howie Rose too. I guess it means less exposure to a national audience, which in theory should bring in new fans of the team, but for a long time they've sucked, even with that dynamic player for a few years now.

I'm psyched for this season, within reason. But I can see why NBC wouldn't think the Isles would be a big draw. They've got terrible ratings, don't sell out their home arena, etc. I guess a one time NBC broadcast certainly could have focused on this being the last season in the Coliseum and pointed out similarities between this current team and the making of the dynasty team. But it's not happening, so fuck it. I'll live with Howie Rose talking Mets baseball...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:22 am 

Av-merican wrote:
What was the one good move the Caps made? Firing Oates?

Trying to figure out if the Pens actually improved. Neal wasn't really working out for them so I suppose shipping him off for Hornqvist and signing Ehrhoff on the cheap is a pretty good step forward.

Matt Niskanen is a good player, whether the contract is a good long term bet or not he definitely helps a lot short term.

Hornqvist isn't all that much of a drop off from Neal to be honest, and while Ehrhoff for Niskanen can be seen as a wash, just dumping Orpik and Engelland is a boon. I also like that the Pens retained the depth pieces that should work for them: J. Jokinen, Marcel Goc, and adding Comeau, Spaling and Downie to that bottom six mix should improve them.

Plus, Thomas Greiss is a real interesting goaltending pickup. Seems like another Khudobin type.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:43 pm 

Despite the mishap with Dan Boyle, Puck Daddy & others are saying the Isles have made the best off-season moves of any team. :wtf: ??? The Isles won something, in a positive category???

Now if they could move one of the abundant forwards for a real d-man, it would ice the cake.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:30 pm 

Grabner said in an interview that he's put on a few pounds of muscle over the summer, because the coaches & trainers told all the players to get bigger for this year so they won't be pushed around. He also said he's been working on breakaway moves. Mhmmmmm. We'll see. I have said for years he should spend his off-season doing nothing but breakaway practice vs the backup goalie.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:02 pm 

Roster trimming:

Quote:
The 11 players loaned to Bridgeport include forwards Sebastian Collberg, Brett Gallant, Mike Halmo, Kael Mouillierat, John Persson, Alan Quine and Johan Sundstrom. They’re joined by defensemen Scott Mayfield, Andrey Pedan, Adam Pelech and Ville Pokka.

The Islanders fifth-overall selection in the 2014 NHL Draft, Michael Dal Colle, was returned to the Oshawa Generals (Ontario Hockey League) and the Islanders 28th-overall selection, Joshua Ho-Sang, was returned to the Windsor Spitfires (OHL).

5 players waived today too: Poulin & Leggio (goalies), Skille, Zolniercyk (F), and Ness (D).

All the right moves. Pokka was later traded to Chicago in a package for Leddy.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:04 am 

All but Skille cleared waivers. He was claimed by the CBJ. They need healthy bodies.

More to come though.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:30 pm 

Grabner & de Haan on the IR with upper body injuries. Both missed most pre-season games. I thought it meant de Haan was on his way down & Grabner was being held out for trade bait. Visnovsky is day-to-day with something or other.

Supposedly McDonald, Boulton & Lee sat out of practice today, with the expectation that Lee will be sent back to Bridgeport (doesn't need waivers) and the other 2 will be the healthy scratches for Friday.

Lines in today's practice:

Conacher!- JT- Okposo I guess Conacher really impressed the coaches. He could have a hell of a season if he sticks there.
Grabovski-Nelson-Strome 2 kids, 3 centers. Why the hell not?
Bailey-Nielsen-Kulemin Bailey will likely be on a short leash this season.
Martin-Cizikas-Clutterbuck. I thought Lee would bump either Martin or Cizikas.

Leddy and Boychuk played together today and are likely to stay together. Makes sense- the other guys all know each other, and these two should pair well- one offensive and the other defensive.
Probably Hamonic-Visnovsky (assuming the latter is healthy)
and Hickey-Strait, since de Haan is hurt. Otherwise Strait should be gone. Carkner would be another healthy scratch.

Once the injured guys come back, assuming nobody else gets hurt between now & then, some waiver action will happen. Depth is nice to have!

I just realized Boychuk was also team mates with Johnson, so that will help the transition for both as well.

As long as the chemistry works, this could be a great year. I haven't been this psyched for a season in like 20 years.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:57 pm 

Apparently Lee is none too happy about not making the cut.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:12 pm 

Av-merican wrote:
Apparently Lee is none too happy about not making the cut.

I wouldn't think he would be, but where did you read that?