OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 394 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 20  Next
 Post subject: Re: Prospects Thread
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:58 am 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

E.L. wrote:
Too bad PK, Patches and Eller are 25.

The fact that they (and Price) are no longer on this list means we can quit with the idea of building for the future and enter 'win now' mode, though. We're talking three guys that are top 5 in the NHL at their respective positions there (Price, Subban, Patches).

It seems like Bergevin is now on board with this line of thought, too.

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:43 pm 
Big in Japan

I daydream about De La Rose and Sekac forcing the team's hand at camp. Imagine that injection of size, speed and talent to the lineup?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:40 am 

Here's how we voted on EOTP. More specifically, how I voted. It's my last ballot for that.

http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/habs- ... aster-list

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:22 pm 
Big in Japan

Sorry, Sask, looks like you'll be seeing a lot less of Nikita Scherbak this year. Traded from the Blades to the Tips http://www.everettsilvertips.com/articl ... k-scherbak

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:10 am 
Big in Japan

Some early returns on a couple of Habs prospects:

UND senior Mark MacMillan has been steadily improving since being drafted in 2010. He has 7 points in his first four games.

Hey, some (lanky) guys do better when you leave them in the collegiate ranks.

And Michael McCarron is back from injury and playing well for London:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:06 am 

Hudon at 7 points through 6 games to lead Hamilton in scoring, with Andrighetto just behind. Andrighetto is now at 20 career AHL goals in 70 games, and he's not riding a high shooting percentage.

Even if Sekac sticks permanently over the course of the year, I still think there's a spot for a callup on this team for the stretch drive. Andrighetto just needs to stay healthy.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 4:21 pm 
Big in Japan

Another big night for big centre Mike McCarron. One of the hottest players in the O right now.

Time to get excited. He's learning to win faceoffs and he's showing good hands around the net. Those skills, combined with his size and decent skating (for a big man) could make him a force.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:04 pm 

Domi is a damn fine junior player who probably could've contributed at the NHL level this year, but it's still encouraging to see McCarron finally having a productive month of offence.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:40 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

So, uh, how much longer ya think Bergy's gonna let ol' Sylvain ruin the kids in Hamilton?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:36 am 

Funny you say he's ruining the kids in Hamilton. I don't think he's ruining anybody, he's just not a very good tactical coach and doesn't win. The kids come up to the NHL in pretty good shape, he just doesn't know how to use their skills very well.

It's really tough to ruin talent.

Anyway, McCarron is now an Oshawa General. Goes from having Domi at LW to Dal Colle at LW.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:40 pm 

saskhab wrote:
Funny you say he's ruining the kids in Hamilton. I don't think he's ruining anybody, he's just not a very good tactical coach and doesn't win. The kids come up to the NHL in pretty good shape, he just doesn't know how to use their skills very well.

It's really tough to ruin talent.

Anyway, McCarron is now an Oshawa General. Goes from having Domi at LW to Dal Colle at LW.

Well, it wasn't me, Lefebvre was actually my favorite Av that first season so I kinda have a soft spot for the guy. I believe it was an EOTP post that was bitching about him. Something about benching Andrighetto...?

It must be tough being a coach in AHL. I remember when the Rangers organization fired Ryan McGill in Hartford because they said he was winning, but he wasn't doing enough to develop talent. It seems there are times those two things run counter to each other. Incidentally,

As far as "ruining" talent, I suppose you're right, it's hard to actually screw up a kid's development. The closest I can think of is Mike Keenan's haphazard treatment of Stephen Weiss. But hey, he pretty much panned out the way he was always going to so it's hard to say that Keenan really screwed him up that badly.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:55 pm 
OTP Historian

Can you ruin goalie talent more easily than forward or defense? Although goalie talent may also be harder to project...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:20 pm 

Yeah, he benched Andrighetto, but he doesn't seem worse for it. Every coach has benched Subban. Leblanc was probably the guy that most would point to as Lefebvre doing harm to but I think injuries played a big role there as well.

Fact is, the Bulldogs have an awful record under his coaching. But they've promoted Gallagher, Bournival, Beaulieu, and Tokarski since he was coaching there, and Andrighetto and Tinordi look pretty good when they come up. Hudon is the leading rookie scorer in the AHL.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:14 am 
Big in Japan

U of Denver alum David Makowski signed a deal with Hamilton. Nygren is out with something concussion-like, so they needed an extra D. Dalton Thrower was sent down to the ECHL. He's probably not a guy.

The callups have looked NHL-ready, so in that regard I think Lefebvre has done a decent job. Andrighetto and Beaulieu look like successful grads.

Daniel Carr and Mac Bennett could be guys, which is interesting.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:30 am 

Thrower I think is down more due to the fact he was injured for so long.

Next year, the Habs will have a real patchwork D issue. Probably a good thing the K won't be offering jobs to North Americans, they can probably find a guy like they used to with Benoit, etc. Maybe Freddy St-Denis will want back in the Hammer? Nygren probably goes back to Sweden unless he gets healthy and the Habs give him a taste of NHL action, but that's not likely. Pateryn will be back on a one-way deal, Bennett will be in year 2 and Dietz and Thrower will help fill out the RD spots behind Pateryn with Lernout around for good measure. The Habs have one NCAA grad upcoming in Didier who might fit in on LD but they'll definitely need to look outside the organization to fill up the other top 4 spot.

The forwards will be pretty killer, though. Even if Hudon breaks through with the Habs by then they'll have a more adjusted De La Rose, possibly a Reway and Lehkonen as well as Bozon to go with McCarron and Scherbak. Fucale splits with Condon in goal.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:19 am 

Yikes.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/tino ... ahl-fight/

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:55 pm 
Big in Japan

Tin Man was sent down to work on his footspeed, but Habs management also wanted him to get tougher. I really hope the Habs didn't poke and prod him into fighting more, or that Tinordi felt he needed to fight in order to prove to the team he was tough enough.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:52 pm 
Big in Japan

Quote:
@SWhyno 6m6 minutes ago
Hamilton Bulldogs announce #Habs prospect Jarred Tinordi suffered head & facial injuries as part of fight last night. No timetable to return

Ugh

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:24 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Tin Man was sent down to work on his footspeed, but Habs management also wanted him to get tougher. I really hope the Habs didn't poke and prod him into fighting more, or that Tinordi felt he needed to fight in order to prove to the team he was tough enough.

FWIW, Tinordi has 1 fight in the N and 4 fights in the A this year, plus 1 in preseason. Last year, he had 4 fights in the N, 6 in the A, and 2 in preseason. Generally lines up with how frequently he fought in his rookie year, too.

So he's not fighting any more, but he definitely hasn't curbed down his fighting. If management wants him to fight more, he's not listening.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:49 am 
OTP Historian

Apparently the Hamilton AHL team is moving to Laval by 2017(I call it that because apparently the Bulldogs name doesn't go with it)? From an article about Darryl Katz and Sherry Bassin, owner of the Erie Otters.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/h ... e22646466/

Quote:
Despite Katz’s efforts to be discreet, rumours quickly spread in Hamilton civic circles that he was the power behind Bassin. Some city councillors and power brokers were happy to play along because, as always, Hamilton longed for an NHL team. And there were rumours that Andlauer might deprive the city of any professional hockey by moving the Bulldogs to the Montreal suburb of Laval when a 10,000-seat arena in that city was completed.

In yet another twist, the Oilers’ ambitions may also have been to keep the Otters away from Andlauer who, ironically, is now in position to be the saviour of the OHL team. He is one of at least two parties negotiating with Bassin to buy the Otters, and it’s apparent the Bulldogs will move to Laval no later than 2017. Andlauer’s lease at Copps, since renamed FirstOntario Centre, calls for him to provide a hockey team as a tenant, without specifying it must be an AHL team.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 394 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 20  Next