OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 406 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 21  Next
 Post subject: Re: Prospects Thread
PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:55 pm 
Big in Japan

Hotshot Swedish Dman Magnus Nygren has ditched Hamilton and returned home. Not a deal breaker for his development, but it means if we ever see him again, it'll be because the Habs think he's ready to make the team.

He's the new Emelin.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:00 pm 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

E.L. wrote:
Hotshot Swedish Dman Magnus Nygren has ditched Hamilton and returned home. Not a deal breaker for his development, but it means if we ever see him again, it'll be because the Habs think he's ready to make the team.

He's the new Emelin.

From what it sounds like, he was miserable in Hamilton. Hamilton is probably a worse place to live than anywhere in Sweden, so that's understandable.

He'll be back next year, trying to crack the roster with a couple of open spots again. This was just a loan, he didn't bolt. He had been promised some games, and the Habs likely said that it wouldn't be worth it to wait at this point with everyone (except for Drewiske) healthy heading into December.

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:59 pm 

Also worth noting that our other Swedish prospect in Hamilton, Erik Nystrom, left the team this past week for Zagreb, Croatia, to play on their KHL team. Related? Possibly. But Swedes don't dig Hamilton it seems.

So don't be expecting Sebastian Collberg to stick around for the Steel City. Especially with the Roughriders making the locals even more depressed every winter.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:20 pm 
Big in Japan

So here's the deal about that. My dad was Swedish, born and raised. Lived in Montreal since the early 70's. He never became a Canadian citizen, worked for a Swedish company in Montreal where most of the employees up until the late 80's were Swedish. He hung out with Swedes (including Mats Naslund), and even though he liked Montreal and Canada, he didn't think either held a candle to a snowy night in desolate Vasteras.

Swedes are Swedes, and don't care much for assimilating. I used to spend my summers there as a kid and especially up North, it's like one big family commune of emotionally repressed people who love drinking. The Swedes who lived in Montreal in the 80's basically recreated that here.

I doesn't surprise me that Nystrom and Nygren were having a tough time, and that when one left, the other followed. This isn't on coaching or management; it's a cultural thing.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:37 pm 
OTP Historian

saskhab wrote:
Also worth noting that our other Swedish prospect in Hamilton, Erik Nystrom

I saw this and thought Erik Nystrom is still a prospect?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:29 pm 

Bosc wrote:
saskhab wrote:
Also worth noting that our other Swedish prospect in Hamilton, Erik Nystrom

I saw this and thought Erik Nystrom is still a prospect?

Erik Nystrom is the John Smith of Swedish names.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:18 pm 

Meanwhile, I watched Tim Bozon play his last WHL game before he was hospitalized in Saskatoon with this. He's 19 years old and in critical condition. :(

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:02 pm 
OTP Clown

saskhab wrote:
Meanwhile, I watched Tim Bozon play his last WHL game before he was hospitalized in Saskatoon with this. He's 19 years old and in critical condition. :(

I read about that today. Very sad news indeed.

My neighbours lost a daughter to meningitis in the 90's...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:43 pm 

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/jrhock ... 02538.html

Very bizarre and scary. 10% mortality rate for this strain, and he's probably not conscious right now.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:50 pm 
OTP Historian

Oh man, hopefully the kid pulls through :x

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:25 am 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Fucking hell... :shock:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:12 am 
Big in Japan

How does one even get meningitis? It always seems so random.

I'd WebMD it, but I don't want to descend down a rabbit hole of hypochrondriatic dread.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:18 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Wow, sad.
Meningitis can be contracted various ways. Rodents often carry it. That's how Johnny Rotten got it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:30 pm 

http://www.thestarphoenix.com/news/sask ... story.html

Bozon is now awake, attempting to feed himself and moving around in his bed. His condition has been upgraded to stable and he's out of the ICU.

He turns 20 on Monday.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:54 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

saskhab wrote:
http://www.thestarphoenix.com/news/saskatoon/Bozon+wakes+from+coma/9635896/story.html

Bozon is now awake, attempting to feed himself and moving around in his bed. His condition has been upgraded to stable and he's out of the ICU.

He turns 20 on Monday.

According to Cody Nickolet, he broke news about Bozon's condition on Twitter and the WHL somehow got Twitter to suspend his account. Can they do that!?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:36 am 
OTP Historian

Great observation about Price. I didn't see the giveaway.

http://montreal.ctvnews.ca/call-of-the- ... -1.1739193

Quote:
A really special moment after the game I want to share with you. Tinordi was taking his equipment off and there was a lull after Gionta finished. Price saw the media mass was going to converge on Tinordi about the late-game error. Price says "I'm ready. I'm ready." He still had his equipment on but he wanted to save his mate from the interview. It worked. We all converged on Price. I was just happy to watch it play out. Some moments are more than a clip so I let Tinordi leave and he did. Price watched him go and then answered the large scrum. The only player in the room, then to Tinordi's great credit he returned to face tough questions about his gaffe. After Tinordi was finished I returned to Carey, still wrapping up with Ron Reusch. I said to Price, "I saw what you did there, trying to save Jarred." He simply acknowledged I was right, that he protected his mate but like Carey he said nothing more, never looking for praise. I followed with, "If only the rest of the world supported each other like players and teammates in a locker room stand by each other." Carey responded, "It would be one hell of an amazing world." That's your goalie everyone. That's a man's man. That's a character person. That's someone to look at and admire and that has nothing to do with stopping a puck.

That's an awesome move by Price to do that for a young defenseman, and something that would endear a teammate to anyone.

Reminds me of back when Volchenkov was in Ottawa and Ottawa's tender(Gerber?) criticized him for something. Friedman said something along the lines of "Volchenkov is the last teammate who should get thrown under a bus by a goalie".

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:32 pm 

http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2014/ ... spects-elc

Bennett joins the fold starting next year. No word on him joining the Bulldogs as they close out their season... his 2 year deal starts next year so he might be sticking around the U of Michigan campus to finish his courses/degree (Pateryn did the same).

Speaking of the Bulldogs, owner Michael Andlauer is pretty pissed at how things have been going since Cunneyworth left town, and he keeps harping on the PP as a big reason for his concern:

http://www.thespec.com/sports-story/442 ... the-owner/

Bye bye Mr. Lefebvre, I'd wager. He was hired with the idea that he could be a future NHL head coach but he's been pretty singularly awful in the head coaching job.

I'm not convinced that Therrien survives as HC this offseason if the Habs get knocked out in Round 1 again, so we could be looking at a couple of coaching vacancies. MT was always hired to be fired and Bergevin might act on Boucher being available this offseason if he's at all pissed at how this season ends up.

That said, I'd be perfectly fine with Therrien coaching in Hamilton...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:59 pm 
Big in Japan

F Jacob De La Rose signs an entry-level deal.

http://canadiens.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=714621

Those in the know are more excited about DLR than the team's other prospects. A smart, strong, hard-skating two-way guy with offensive upside. He still has some filling out to do (6'3", 190).

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:41 pm 

Am I in the know? Because I have him as the team's best forward prospect, and had him there when Collberg was around, too.

(Our best prospect remains Beaulieu and this infuriates me because he shouldn't be a prospect anymore FFS).

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:25 am 

You all know I'm not a Fucale booster, and I'll point this out with plenty of grains of salt: he sucked balls vs Anthony Mantha and Val D'Or in the Conference Final. Game by game SV%!:

Game 1: .818 (18/22)
Game 2: .789 (15/19 - pulled in 3rd)
Game 3: .250 (1/4 - pulled in 1st)
Game 4: .880 (22/25 - went to OT)
Game 5: .773 (17/22 - pulled after 2nd)
Game 6: .812 (14/17)

He was a .907 in the regular season and cruised through the first two rounds. One bad couple of weeks but boy it isn't that encouraging that when he faces a real NHL prospect like Mantha he got lit up. Halifax had a legit chance of repeating as Memorial Cup Champs until this performance. Oh well, tough break, kid.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 406 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 21  Next