OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:52 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/2012/0 ... -new-deal/

Yeah, if I managed to draft two kids 1st overall back-to-back and do little else of consequence, I'd expect a big payday as well too.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:01 am 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

The Oilers have made exactly one good player acquisition outside the draft since Tambellini came onboard: when Ryan Smyth publicly traded himself to Alberta. Even a move that should have worked out has backfired on him: Ryan Whitney has somehow been more injury prone than Lubo Visnovsky since that trade.

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:51 pm 

Nicely written article by Mirtle, even though it has an air of "duh" to it.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/h ... le2328196/

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:25 am 
King of the One-Liner

Av-merican wrote:
Nicely written article by Mirtle, even though it has an air of "duh" to it.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/h ... le2328196/

The markets are apples and oranges, regardless of which rebuild in the end is better I don't think either had the others as an option.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:57 am 

http://www.mc79hockey.com/?p=4536

Oh boy. Oilers still don't understand the CBA. Good thing it's almost over. Paajarvi can't play because the Oilers don't know the rules.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:43 am 

http://m.edmontonsun.com/2012/03/31/oil ... t-it-right

An alternative headline:

Quote:
Oilers Can't Count To Four: Lowe Says It's "Ludicrous" To Expect Them To

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:37 am 
Promoted from Lt. Chaos

saskhab wrote:
http://m.edmontonsun.com/2012/03/31/oilers-need-to-get-it-right

An alternative headline:

Quote:
Oilers Can't Count To Four: Lowe Says It's "Ludicrous" To Expect Them To

Now that is Funny! :laugh:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:29 pm 

Omark makes his desires known:

Linus Omark on Twitter wrote:
I live to show that the "two" are wrong. But I really hope edm let me have a chance in another nhl team

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:28 pm 

http://oilers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id= ... L|EDM|home

And Tambo gets his extension. Read that official press release carefully. The only two personnel moves they mention are his two first overall draft selections so far. Not one trade, signing, or draft pick beyond first overall.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:24 pm 

saskhab wrote:
http://oilers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=633966&navid=DL|EDM|home

And Tambo gets his extension. Read that official press release carefully. The only two personnel moves they mention are his two first overall draft selections so far. Not one trade, signing, or draft pick beyond first overall.

I like this bit "After winning the 2012 Draft Lottery, the Oilers will have the opportunity to select first overall for the third consecutive time."

Seems like they're trying to give him credit for being pathetic enough to be in contention for the lottery and that winning the lottery is some sort of accomplishment.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:11 am 
King of the One-Liner

Well more reason for me to hate the draft structure as it appears Edmonton was intentionally tanking for three years. Just do not allow teams in the top five for consecutive years maybe?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:11 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Hounsy wrote:
Well more reason for me to hate the draft structure as it appears Edmonton was intentionally tanking for three years. Just do not allow teams in the top five for consecutive years maybe?

I don't like it. While I get the idea of trying to force teams to not tank, it sort of defeats the point of having a draft system. Lots of teams go through cycles. The Oilers are where Pittsburgh & Chicago were 8-10 years ago. Picking high & signing the young talent for cheap is how teams are supposed to build. If you don't let them pick high every year after they suck they're not going to get better. I get the idea- try & force them into signing UFAs & such... But what decent UFA wants to play for Edmonton or the Isles? You'd be keeping them crappy for longer. Let them draft high & see how long they can keep the top picks & build something.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:01 pm 

As if they couldn't marginalize Tambellini any more...

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=398151

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:38 am 

Conditional pick in Dustin Penner trade:

Quote:
If the LA Kings win the 2011 Stanley Cup, Edmonton will receive LA's 2nd round pick in 2012. If not, Edmonton will receive LA's 3rd round pick in 2012.

http://www.prosportstransactions.com/ho ... /Kings.htm

Way to go, Tambo. Penner was signed through 2012 yet somehow the condition only lasted for one year. You are brilliant.

LA, BTW, traded their 2012 2nd rounder in the Mike Richards deal, helping them win the 2012 Stanley Cup.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:02 am 

And for the first time in NHL history we get to see a true "Lottery Line," or at least the possibility of one.

Man, you just know the Oilers are gonna fuck this all up by getting Brent Sutter.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:55 am 

Av-merican wrote:
And for the first time in NHL history we get to see a true "Lottery Line," or at least the possibility of one.

Man, you just know the Oilers are gonna fuck this all up by getting Brent Sutter.

Crawford went for his second interview the other day but apparently Krueger is still the frontrunner. It'd be cool to have a former European national team coach in the NHL, that's for sure.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:21 pm 

Seriously, your team is last in even strength scoring in the NHL and you trade for Mike Brown, who replaces Magnus Paajarvi in the lineup.

There's a good chance the Oil start scoring more but it's all percentage based. There's also a great chance the Leafs start scoring less for similar reasons. Mike Brown might be held up as the reason for both of these unrelated occurrences. :lol: :yayyy:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:24 pm 

http://www.coppernblue.com/2013/3/8/408 ... er-changed

I love epic, angry fan rants. Not necessarily for the schadenfreude angle, but just because you get lines like this:

Quote:
The Oilers just go on eight consecutive one-year rebuilds, promising that we'll totally make the playoffs next time. If I spent the better part of a decade being the worst person in the world at my job I'm fairly sure I'd be sucking dicks for spare change on East Hastings by now.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:46 pm 

I love Ben Massey's rants. They never disappoint.

This Brier roadtrip that the Oil have been on has pretty much killed this season and has brought out the knives for the whole damn rebuild, which was pretty much stupid from the start.

http://www.mc79hockey.com/?p=5624

Money quote:

Quote:
If you pay any attention to the Eastern Conference, you know what a horse Ilya Kovalchuk has been for New Jersey, both last year and this year, playing a ton of minutes for them. It is a sin that eight years of his career was wasted in Atlanta but that isn’t really on him – it’s on the guys who were completely unable to put a decent hockey team on the ice around him. That’s how these teams that get high draft picks and then suck forever do it – they surround the guy with terrible hockey players.

There is basically nothing in the Oilers’ farm system as far as forwards right now and defencemen are a bit of a mystery – it could be two or three years before one of them is ready to play in the top four, if any of them ever are. Things happen. If you had to pick a path that the Oilers were on right now – Atlanta or Chicago, Columbus or Pittsburgh – the smart money’s on the Atlanta/Columbus one.

BTW, the Oilers re-hired Scott Howson! So Howson leaves because Lowe is blocking him getting promoted to GM, Tambo comes in to be the GM when Lowe finally steps aside, Lowe sticks around as a meddling president, Tambo fires MacT after 1 season and eventually MacT comes back as Tambo's superior. And after a complete failure in Columbus that may have ruined that franchise for good, Howson is brought back in as a possible heir apparent to Tambo just as pressure on Tambo ratchets up.

This is how not to run a NHL franchise, folks.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:08 pm 

saskhab wrote:
BTW, the Oilers re-hired Scott Howson! So Howson leaves because Lowe is blocking him getting promoted to GM, Tambo comes in to be the GM when Lowe finally steps aside, Lowe sticks around as a meddling president, Tambo fires MacT after 1 season and eventually MacT comes back as Tambo's superior. And after a complete failure in Columbus that may have ruined that franchise for good, Howson is brought back in as a possible heir apparent to Tambo just as pressure on Tambo ratchets up.

This is how not to run a NHL franchise, folks.

That says it all right there. :lol: