It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:06 am 
OTP Historian

https://twitter.com/HeleneStJames/statu ... 7858437122

Helene tweeted this, Red Wings confirm:

https://twitter.com/DetroitRedWings/sta ... 3634117632

Fuck... :x :(

Well Hank, thanks for all of the great years in Detroit. You gave it everything you had, were a treat to watch, and admittedly were probably overshadowed some by your flashier teammate and all-time defenseman. 1082 games, 960 points all in a Wings uniform. 120 playoff points in 137 playoff games, with a Stanley Cup and Conn Smyth. #40 should go up to the rafters in the Octopus's Garden.

I was originally going to go with the thread title: ""Zetterberg's Done" - Ken Holland" - Helene St. James
Decided against it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:44 am 
Big in Japan

Just as long as the thread title doesn't say "retirement", we're good cap-wise.

Hank leaves the game 40 points away from 1000. Was unreal in their 07-08 Cup year but otherwise was the model of consistency throughout his career.

Outside of Detroit it was maybe hard to appreciate just how consistently good Hank and Datsyuk were at their best. Really smart, complete players.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:10 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

I'll just say that this has been planned for a while now and leave it at that. Wait, I'll also say that unlike Hossa, I don't think this is some made up garbage, exaggerated perhaps, but not fabricated.

End of an Era in every sense of the word, he really is the last remaining player from Detroit's resurgence in the modern era. A fantastic player in his own right, which goes without saying. It's also the end of an era since HZ was the last time the Wings were seemingly a step ahead of everyone else, snagging him with a late 7th round selection in that infamous '99 draft. The advent of analytics being embraced by the mainstream and the fact that franchises like the Hawks and Bolts modeled themselves after the Wings has seriously eroded that advantage. Their current rebuild looks like it will be more conventional than in times past.

Will be be enshrined in the HOF? I say yes, but maybe not first ballot.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:42 pm 
Distinguished Gentleman of OTP

A sad day for sure, but not a surprise. I believe only Kronwall is left and I don't think he'll last more than this year.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:17 pm 
OTP Historian

Zetterberg reveals details about the degenerative back issues forcing him to LTIR retirement.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sport ... 835435002/

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:52 pm 
Distinguished Gentleman of OTP

Bosc wrote:
Zetterberg reveals details about the degenerative back issues forcing him to LTIR retirement.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sport ... 835435002/

This is a good read. It also goes into Zetterberg's sometimes contentious relationship with Mike Babcock.