OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:37 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Holy hell the Stars are hurtin'.

Benn - Seguin - Eaves
Roussel - Faksa - Ritchie
Korpikoski - Shore - Cracknell
McKenzie - Dowling - Smith

WTF...I've never heard of anyone on that 4th line. Gemel Smith!?

Nemeth - Klingberg
Hamhuis - Lindell
Oduya - Other Benn

Lehtoniemi

IR: Spezza, Sharp, Hemsky, Janmark, Hudler, Eakin

Keep in mind Korpi was an emergency last-minute signing.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:22 pm 
Big in Japan

Too bad Nichuchkin is stinking it up in Russia's d-league: coulda been a top liner here.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:42 pm 
Big in Japan

Hemsky out 5-6 months with hip surgery. Might be his career.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:13 pm 
Big in Japan

Ups and downs in Big D, but they've added Bishop, Methot, Radulov and Hanzal in the offseason. Nichushkin might come back and Faksa has evolved into a quality player. Honka's finally ready, too.

Hitch has himself a decent lineup here.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:55 pm 

Hoo boy, Cracknell on waivers. Stars have stumbled badly out the gate.

And of course Bishop and Hanzal are already hurt.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:00 pm 

Kinda sad...for years the Stars tried to buck the trend and this offseason kinda surrendered to it. They're definitely a Hitch team now. Clog, clog, clog some more, grind out those wins. I initially thought he'd be a bad fit for this squad but upon further analysis he might be perfect. Apart from Benn, Seguin, and Klingberg it's a whole lotta slow grinders and what not.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:15 pm 
Big in Japan

Looks like Radulov was the real deal after all: 31 points in 39 games

Anyone who watched the Habs last year knew he was hanging that team together. Steal by Dallas.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:44 pm 
Big in Japan

Dallas have recovered after a slow start and are looking good in the tight Central.

Radulov is 1 point from matching last year's total. He's a beast.

Klingberg and Faksa will get Norris and Selke consideration, but they're not household names yet.

Wondering if we'll be talking about Klingberg-Heiskanen-Lindell-Honka in a few years the same way we do the Preds Big-4 today.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:02 pm 

Holy shit.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:36 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Pokecheque wrote:
Holy shit.
Nill has to be a goner.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:38 pm 
Big in Japan

Eight straight ay Dios mio!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:35 pm 

Quote:
Nill immediately made several major transactions starting with trading a sixth round pick in the 2013 NHL Entry Draft to the Ottawa Senators for Defensemen Sergei Gonchar and signed him a 2-year, $10-million dollar contract. On July 4, 2013 in a blockbuster trade, Nill sent 2011 NHL All-Star Loui Eriksson and prospects Joe Morrow, Reilly Smith, and Matt Fraser to the Boston Bruins in exchange for the former 2nd overall pick in the 2010 NHL Entry Draft Tyler Seguin as well as Rich Peverley and Ryan Button. On the same day he traded prospect Philip Larsen and a seventh round pick in the 2016 NHL Entry Draft to the Edmonton Oilers in exchange for their captain Shawn Horcoff. On July 1, 2014, Nill traded for Ottawa Senators center and captain, Jason Spezza and right winger Ludwig Karlsson for Alex Chiasson, Nick Paul, Alex Guptill, and a second round pick in the 2015 NHL draft. On the same day, he also signed unrestricted free agent forward, Ales Hemsky to a 3-year, $12 million contract. On July 10, 2015, Nill traded for forward Patrick Sharp and defensive prospect Stephen Johns from the Chicago Blackhawks in exchange for defenseman Trevor Daley and forward Ryan Garbutt.On July 15, 2015, Nill signed unrestricted free agent defenseman, Johnny Oduya to a 2-year $7.5 million contract.
Not to mention the goalie debacle and hiring Hitch and Hamhuis and and and....they need to move Spezza.

Earlier I thought Nill would be the first to go due to his recent trading record but now I am not so sure. It seems either the players have stopped playing for Hitch or they are no longer buying what he selling on what it takes to win. The other night against the Canucks their lack of push back and the goaltending was appalling. If they managed to get a win there, they'd still be in it and Canucks suck some royal shit anyways so there's that.

So is the problem team construction or team building?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:36 pm 

Nill was left with an absolute mess from his two predecessors, Armstrong and Nieuwendyk. Some good top-end talent but bad drafting left them with no depth whatsoever. And the really bad part is that they whiffed on more than a couple high-ish first rounders.

Check out their past 10 1st rounders (not counting Miro Heiskanen taken last year, who should be an All-World prospect):

2016: Riley Tufte (25th)
2015: Denis Gurianov (12th)
2014: Julius Honka (14th)
2013: Valeri Nichushkin (10th)
2012: Radek Faksa (13th)
2011: Jamie Oleksiak (14th)
2010: Jack Campbell (11th)
2009: Scott Glennie (8th)
2008: N/A (no first rounder)

Out of ALL THAT, they ended up with one surefire player (Faksa, who is a very good 3rd line center but not much more than that) and a whole host of busts. And there's already some hand-wringing going on about Tufte, Gurianov, and Honka, Honka especially since he has entered the inescapable abyss known as Ken Hitchcock's Doghouse.

Nill took over in 2013 so he wasn't responsible for anything before that but drafting doesn't appear to have taken a seismic shift toward the better under his watch, which is kinda weird because I thought drafting was his thang.

I wish Nill had just stuck to his guns and stayed with the run-and-gun approach that had brought so much early success. That team was so close...if the goaltending hadn't completely imploded down the stretch I think Ruff would still be employed and they'd still be a fast, offensively-oriented, fast team. Just in the last couple seasons they've become significantly slower, older, and (arguably) less talented. Can't do that in today's league.

Love Hitch (no really, I do) and I'll admit I don't think anyone could coach this mishmash of a team better than he has, but he's also made what I think are huge mistakes. Jason Spezza may not have much left in the tank but he has been completely mishandled to the point of ineffectiveness.

Not sure what happens next. Is Hitch one-and-done. Is Nill out? I really don't know, but I'm guessing Spezza gets bought out, Hanzal lands on LTIR for the rest of his career/contract, and the team goes balls-out for John Tavares...if he becomes available. They still also need to get a viable backup goaltender because Ben Bishop simply can't stay healthy for a full season.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:28 pm 

Fuck.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:53 pm 
Big in Japan

Real unbalanced team. Not much past Benn, Radulov, Seguin, Klingberg on offence. They slowed down and the team pretty much crashed instantly.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:09 pm 

Hmmmm...still feels like a very piecemeal team.

Benn - Seguin - Radulov
Spezza - Hanzal - Nichushkin
Shore - Faksa - Comeau
Ritchie - Janmark - Pitlick

Methot - Klingberg
Heiskanen - Johns
Lindell - Honka

Bishop
Khudobin

I really feel like this team is going to lead the league in man games lost to injury. Just really looks like a LOT of things will have to go right (Spezza re-finds his stride, Hanzal somehow plays more than a handful of games, Nichushkin proves to be more than a one-hit wonder, Bishop stays healthy, Monty proves to be a decent NHL coach, etc.) or this could get ugly in a hurry. And apart from Heiskanen, there doesn't appear to be any big help coming from the farm.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:56 pm 
Big in Japan

Hanzal will probably go LTIR, I reckon. Spezza gets a shot at 2C with Janmark, Faksa and Dickinson looking to move up.

Wonder if Heiskanen is as good as they say, could be the difference between playoffs and middling. He's likely the key to all this. If he's not dynamic, they'll be missing a major piece.

They also need to sign Seguin, which will hang over them until it's resolved like JT in Brooklyn.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:41 pm 

Wuh-oh...contract talks between Tyler Seguin's camp and the Stars have reportedly come to a screeching halt. He probably wants Tavares money, and who could blame him.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:03 pm 
Big in Japan

Pokecheque wrote:
Wuh-oh...contract talks between Tyler Seguin's camp and the Stars have reportedly come to a screeching halt. He probably wants Tavares money, and who could blame him.

I still think push comes to shove Dallas will bring the dollaz, but after watching the courtship of JT I'm not surprised Seguin's interest in free agency has been piqued. We know San Jose, Minnesota, Las Vegas, Tampa Bay, Nashville, the New Yorks and hell, maybe Boston are looking. Ducks and Kings could have space to move.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:21 pm 

He has a 15 team modified no move clause which casts a pretty wide net. I could see him being moved if they can't wrap up his contract by the beginning of the season. Dallas sure seemed all in for JT.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next