OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 2:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 409 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 3:06 pm 
OTP Historian

Pokecheque wrote:
Well they did indeed lose it, but then got a compensatory first rounder afterward. I think it was still lower than what they would've gotten had the pick not been forfeited.

Not really sure what you mean. They never actually lost the pick since they didn't give it up.

Pokecheque wrote:
I think it was because the new owner went to the league and said "Hey man, I didn't do this, and I cleaned up the mess left by my predecessor so throw me a bone here!"

I could buy that if they at least had given up the 29th pick because Lou is gonna Lou. Or paid all of the fine. But they fact that they didn't do both just makes it terribly obvious in my eyes that there was an agreement behind the scenes that years down the road it'd be lightened.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 4:21 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Bosc wrote:
Not really sure what you mean. They never actually lost the pick since they didn't give it up.

Yes they did, because they picked 30th in the 2014 draft, that's not the pick they would have received had they been allowed to keep the pick, a season where they finished 20th in the league, which should have had them around 11th overall. And more to the point, they also had the 11th picks in each subsequent round as well.

So yeah, they gave up the pick, which would've been much higher, but were given a compensatory pick at the very end of the draft. We could argue the pick was only "reduced" and not actually taken away but I still think, technically, the pick was forfeited and they were given 30th overall. I don't think there's even any mechanism that would force a team to actually move down.

In case you or anyone else is curious, the Preds got to pick 11th overall and selected Kevin Fiala. The rest of this draft I like to block out of my mind because it is without the doubt the very worst one the Avs ever conducted.

Bosc wrote:
I could buy that if they at least had given up the 29th pick because Lou is gonna Lou. Or paid all of the fine. But they fact that they didn't do both just makes it terribly obvious in my eyes that there was an agreement behind the scenes that years down the road it'd be lightened.

I agree it's bullshit that the Devils had THREE YEARS to hand it over and should have in 2012, but didn't. But also, if the league didn't want cap circumvention then they should've nipped that shit in the bud the moment Chicago signed guys like Hossa and Keith to those insane contracts (the former of which they wriggled out of by claiming some idiotic equipment allergy) way back when. Those contracts were okay and the Kovalchuk one wasn't? Eh...whatever.

Again, in hindsight, the fact that the Devils got dinged harder for a contract than the Blackhawks did for covering up a sexual predator's assault on one of their own fucking players for over a decade just makes me sick.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 10:35 pm 
Big in Japan

Don't weep for the BJs: they're still getting a horse at 3.

Only problem is figuring who's better among Carlsson, Michkov, Smith.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 9:52 am 
OTP Historian

Pokecheque wrote:
Again, in hindsight, the fact that the Devils got dinged harder for a contract than the Blackhawks did for covering up a sexual predator's assault on one of their own fucking players for over a decade just makes me sick.

Amen to that.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 10:43 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Bosc wrote:
Pokecheque wrote:

Amen to that.

And the contract was fully legal; just blatantly pointed out the gaping loophole in the CBA at the time. I think the league was pissed that Lou did it so obviously.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 3:21 pm 
Big in Japan

Looks like Babcock will be named the next coach of the Jackets. He wasn't cancelled, he was just waiting for his Leafs deal to expire. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 12:13 pm 

Rumor around the hindernet is Babcock to the CBJs. Yikes.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 2:56 pm 

Ugh. I usually give Jarmo the benefit of the doubt but ooooooooffff this is a terrible, terrible move.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 11:56 pm 
Big in Japan

Jarmo and Babs want the playoffs: trade for Provorov, sign and trade for Damon Severson.

They'll draft a good guy at #3, hope Johnson and Sillinger take a step forward and hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2023 7:02 pm 

Babcock gets 2 years for 8 mil. Why with his history would anyone hire him again? Especially with Bruce Boudreau out there.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2023 10:04 pm 
Big in Japan

Babs already mired in controversy after Spitting Chicklets caught wind that he was looking at players' phones. He and captain Boone Jenner issued a non-denial, non-apology.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2023 1:18 am 
Improvement on the US678 prototype

E.L. wrote:
Babs already mired in controversy after Spitting Chicklets caught wind that he was looking at players' phones. He and captain Boone Jenner issued a non-denial, non-apology.

Yup, should be fun in Lumbus this year! :munch:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2023 5:33 pm 

Frankie Corrado has a few choice words about Babbcock.

https://canucksarmy.com/news/canucks-an ... -scrimmage

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2023 11:06 am 
OTP Historian

Fogghorn wrote:
Frankie Corrado has a few choice words about Babbcock.

https://canucksarmy.com/news/canucks-an ... -scrimmage

I think that's a different link.

https://canucksarmy.com/news/ex-canuck- ... a-columbus

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2023 11:20 am 

Nice catch, glad I didn't post one of my many fetish links by accident. :oops: :D

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2023 5:17 pm 
Big in Japan

Babcock resigns. Didn't actually get to coach a game for the Jackets. Never understood why they bothered hiring him in the first place, and this went down as expected.

It's pretty telling how so many players are shitting on him while he's down. Say what you want about Torts, at least he's got players who are loyal to him. Babs seems universally despised.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2023 9:05 pm 

Damn. Didn’t even make it to a formal fucking practice. :lol:

What a goddamn clown. And the Jax are a clown organization for even thinking he was an option.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:34 am 
King of Men

Pokecheque wrote:
Damn. Didn’t even make it to a formal fucking practice. :lol:

What a goddamn clown. And the Jax are a clown organization for even thinking he was an option.

I was thinking the same thing. At least the Columbus players and the organization dodged a bullet before there was long term damage.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2023 1:38 pm 
OTP Historian

Yeesh. It was obvious that this was going to end badly but so fucking quickly? Babcock found a way.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2023 4:18 pm 

Is his contract guaranteed? I feel like he signed it not really wanting to coach and then figured out an east way to get fired before even packing for training camp.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 409 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next