OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2023 12:56 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Well, if Elias Lindholm indeed wants out of Calgary, there's your 2C, Avs. Spare no expense. Get the guy.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2023 1:02 pm 
King of Men

Pokecheque wrote:
Well, if Elias Lindholm indeed wants out of Calgary, there's your 2C, Avs. Spare no expense. Get the guy.

Yep...old girl and I had this discussion a few weeks back. That is your guy. I surely don't want Girard though! I guess Foudy would do....all those other dudes are Americans.....and no you guys can keep Nichuskin too (has an NMC anyway). Of course my wishlist would include Byram.

How about a Markstrom? :lol: That would make the pain of acquiring Girard feel better.

Playing with the capfriendly trade tool now!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2023 1:26 pm 

harmfuljays wrote:
Pokecheque wrote:

Yep...old girl and I had this discussion a few weeks back. That is your guy. I surely don't want Girard though! I guess Foudy would do....all those other dudes are Americans.....and no you guys can keep Nichuskin too (has an NMC anyway). Of course my wishlist would include Byram.

How about a Markstrom? :lol: That would make the pain of acquiring Girard feel better.

Playing with the capfriendly trade tool now!

Yeah I remain a big fan of Sammy G but that wouldn't be nearly enough. Avs would have to put something pretty damned good together to beat out the competition. They don't have a ton of assets either in terms of players, picks, or prospects, but I think they could put something together. Don't know if taking on Markstrom is possible, given the Avs' very, very tight cap situation, but hey, whatever can be worked out, work it out.

And even if it's just a one-year rental and he bolts in July 2024, who cares?

Other options, though far less palatable: Kevin Hayes, Mark Scheifele. I'd add Pierre-Luc Dubois but honestly I think that guy is a worthless little diva, and he reportedly won't go anywhere other than Montreal, so eff him.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2023 1:42 pm 
Big in Japan

Have the Avalanche looked at a Toews sign and trade? They probably can't afford to keep him, so maybe move him now?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2023 2:34 pm 
King of Men

E.L. wrote:
Have the Avalanche looked at a Toews sign and trade? They probably can't afford to keep him, so maybe move him now?

That sounds a bit like sacrilege to me. This dude has been nothing but Grade A plus for the Avs since being picked up. IMO the resign is a must however they have to do it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2023 7:05 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

harmfuljays wrote:
E.L. wrote:

That sounds a bit like sacrilege to me. This dude has been nothing but Grade A plus for the Avs since being picked up. IMO the resign is a must however they have to do it.

It would be the 2nd time he got traded by a team that wanted him but couldn't afford to keep him. I wish he could have stayed with the Isles.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2023 12:14 pm 
Big in Japan

Avs get Ryan Johansen for a song. For Galchenyuk and half his salary.

"As part of the deal, Nashville will be retaining 50% of Johansen’s contract, one that carries an $8MM cap charge through 2024-25, meaning Colorado will add Johansen on their books at a $4MM price tag."

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2023 10:40 am 
King of Men

People thinking this is the 2C answer need to check themselves. But good luck shopping the bargain bin! Let's hope this isn't the only 2C answer in the works.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2023 5:21 pm 
OTP Historian

Wow, they really wanted Johansen out eh?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2023 12:08 pm 

It’s a worthy gamble but yes there are plenty of reasons to believe it won’t work. Johansen has the talent to be a legit top line two-way pivot, but he just doesn’t appear to have the drive. Hopefully his old minor league coach will have the answer. He has to shoot more and he has to figure out a way to be productive at even strength.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2023 4:03 pm 
King of Men

Now Newhook sent off to MTL.....that's a pretty big haul in return the Avalanche received picks No. 31 and No. 37 in the 2023 NHL Draft plus Fairbrother (77).....He did have his chance to fill a 2nd line role....which he could not do. Good value as a #16 pick elsewhere it seems.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2023 11:09 am 

harmfuljays wrote:
Now Newhook sent off to MTL.....that's a pretty big haul in return the Avalanche received picks No. 31 and No. 37 in the 2023 NHL Draft plus Fairbrother (77).....He did have his chance to fill a 2nd line role....which he could not do. Good value as a #16 pick elsewhere it seems.

Yeah that's a MUCH bigger haul than I would've expected for a player who just hasn't dazzled at the NHL level yet.

And now Friedman is reporting that Ross Colton is heading to Denver! After limping through last season with a pretty weak center depth chart, Avs are not fucking around this summer. And they've addressed one of my own personal frustrations with the team all these years and brought in two guys who are outright dominant in the faceoff dot.

The return has not yet been announced. I'm guessing a first rounder is involved somehow.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2023 11:21 am 
King of Men

That would be a great pickup.....glad they didn't stop securing the middle at Johansen. Lindholm remains Calgary's problem it seems.

Looks like its a done deal.....Second-round pick (2023)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2023 5:09 pm 
Big in Japan

Not surprised the Avs are taking a chance on Nate's old pal Drouin. He can still pass the puck, I'll give him that.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2023 12:29 am 
Big in Japan

The Miles Wood contract is potentially insane. Dude has had tons of hip problems in his career to the point where he's had to adapt his game. And he got 6 years. Why not just sign Rodrigues?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2023 12:32 am 

Cogliano also coming back which surprises me. I’ve never seen a single hockey player take that bad a beating over the entire season and postseason in my life. And yet he didn’t get seriously injured until that POS Eberle broke his neck in the playoffs.

MacFarland also got Byram to sign a short bridge deal. Good for him, now we’ll see if Bo can actually stay healthy for the majority of a season.

The Miles Wood deal is not one I would’ve expected the Avs to sign. That one could bite them in the ass but I suppose it tells you just how serious they are about remaking their bottom six up front.

In other news, J.T. Compher (Detroit) and Erik Johnson (Buffalo) make it official. Fare thee well, gentlemen.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2023 1:51 am 
Improvement on the US678 prototype

I should probably post this in the Coyotes forum, but Yotes have cut ties with Galchenyuk, after being arrested on multiple charges. This comes a week and a half after signing with the Yotes.

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/arizona-coyotes- ... -1.1983913

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2023 8:36 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Scott 679 wrote:
I should probably post this in the Coyotes forum, but Yotes have cut ties with Galchenyuk, after being arrested on multiple charges. This comes a week and a half after signing with the Yotes.

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/arizona-coyotes- ... -1.1983913

What a clusterfuck.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2023 12:03 pm 

By all accounts he was putting in the work both on and off the ice while he was in Loveland. And he undid all of that in one fell swoop. I feel bad for the guy, he obviously has some very serious problems and hope he gets back on the straight and narrow. His NHL career, if it wasn’t over already, most definitely is now.

Also, as someone else pointed out, while it’s totally understandable why Arizona terminated his contract, it’s interesting to note that players who have done far worse got to stay with their respective teams.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2023 12:05 pm 

Can’t remember if I posted anything about this but Darren Helm officially called it a career. Hugely instrumental in the Avs Cup run, hope the chronic back issues that ultimately convinced him to hang them up don’t give him too much trouble going forward.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next