OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 157 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 5:00 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Avs play their wildest game of the season after trailing 3-0 and 5-3 to win in OT against the Oilers, 6-5.

They are now improbably two points back of Winnipeg for 2nd in the Central, and only five back of division leader Dallas.

And here's the fun part--the Avs have one more win (31) than Dallas (30) but are trailing because the Stars have racked up a ridiculous FIFTEEN fuckin' OT/SO loser points this season. That leads the league.

The Western Conference is pretty effin' awful compared to the East, can't sugarcoat it. Whether that means the eventual Cup winner will be coming from the EC, we will see, but there is no way in hell the Prez winner will come from the West. The sixth-best team in the East (Tampa) is tied in points with the best team in the West (tie between Dallas and Vegas).

Basically the entire week off and then ANOTHER back-to-back with travel. Yeesh...this weekend-heavy scheduling is crazy.

In other news, Cale Makar missed yet another game, Bednar was super-vague, saying it was not a head injury "at this time." What? Also, Gabriel Landeskog returns from his convalescence in Sweden, takes to the ice in an Avs uniform. Still gonna be a while but that's an encouraging sign at least.

Avs also confirm Erik Johnson out indefinitely with a broken ankle. Most everyone is wondering out loud if that means his $6 million cap hit can now be used as LTIR space...guess we will see.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 11:18 am 
King of Men

So...with the 2nd line Center pickings looking slim and the injuries to Makar and EJ (assuming that's the end of the road)...do they pivot and look for a RD?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 3:00 pm 

harmfuljays wrote:
So...with the 2nd line Center pickings looking slim and the injuries to Makar and EJ (assuming that's the end of the road)...do they pivot and look for a RD?

Highly doubt they make a run for a defenseman (though in hindsight I really wish they had just gone out and gotten Ethan Bear instead of re-signing Manson), even if that means *grrrr* more MacDermid.

EJ is likely back at some point for the playoffs. But that means they can use his hefty cap hit for LTIR space and pull a Kucherov.

IMO the only real play left is Adam Henrique, who isn't really a center anymore but can do a lot of things that centers do. He still takes a lot of draws and drives play like mad, he could possibly be a poor-man's Landeskog, and his cap hit is extremely manageable. I say go get him, shouldn't take a ton to get him.

The one true long-term solution who's likely available would probably be Kevin Hayes, but he'd cost a lot and the Avs would require the Flyboys to retain, which would rocket the price up astronomically.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 4:23 pm 

Martin Kaut made his Sharks debut last night, a 4-0 shutout win against the Kraks, played around 14 minutes and posted something like 23% possession, which was worst on the team.

That's not what was notable though. It was the interview he had with Sheng Peng last night that was eye-opening.

According to Kaut, he requested a trade five times in five years, only this year was it finally granted. Also said he was only playing 4th line minutes (not entirely true) and saddled playing center between two defensemen (probably referring to Jacob MacDonald and Kurtis MacDermid, but this is verifiably not true as the Avs were going 11-7 at the time and simply rotated in centers to play between Kaut and MacDonald, and MacDermid was back on defense). Why he's making shit up is beyond me, but the sense of entitlement here is shocking. Like, dude...how the fuck you have more trade requests than points in the NHL!!!?!?!???!?!? Like, if you actually showed up to training camp in shape for once you wouldn't get winded every time after a 4th line shift. Fucking hell what a moron. Can't believe the Avs wasted a first rounder on this idiot, that whole 2018 draft is looking like a bust.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 4:25 pm 
King of Men

:lol: There are benefits to living within ones own bubble. You control your own narrative!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 7:25 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Sometimes I wish I had this kind of arrogance and level of cluelessness. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 1:13 pm 

Chris18 wrote:

Well, you're a coach AND you're a parent so I'm sure this type of personality is one you've encountered. It's pretty easy to find the people who were told as children their shit don't stink. I'm encountering it at work these days, one of our interns has the emotional intelligence of a 12-year-old girl, though I might be giving too much credit because my 12-year-old niece is far more level-headed than the total princess in the office across from mine.

The minute people like this encounter adversity they're simply not equipped for, they unravel pretty fast, and finger-pointing happens almost immediately.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 1:33 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

Well, you're a coach AND you're a parent so I'm sure this type of personality is one you've encountered. It's pretty easy to find the people who were told as children their shit don't stink. I'm encountering it at work these days, one of our interns has the emotional intelligence of a 12-year-old girl, though I might be giving too much credit because my 12-year-old niece is far more level-headed than the total princess in the office across from mine.

The minute people like this encounter adversity they're simply not equipped for, they unravel pretty fast, and finger-pointing happens almost immediately.

Absolutely, and sometimes I want to choke them and others I'm jealous at their lack of grasp on reality. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 4:16 pm 
King of Men

Pokecheque wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: Welcome to the old man club! Sadly, my experience with most 25 (maybe even 30) and unders is like this. We shall tie this back around with social media and having kids elsewhere! I won't say this personality is unique to a certain era but its far more prevalent in this day and age.

But I also work with a lot of older Engineers that behave like this everyday.

Not every kid could be on my lacrosse team.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 6:20 pm 

Avs confirm Cale Makar did indeed suffer a concussion at the Blues game, though symptoms didn't really present themselves until well after the game. He got a knock to the head when Alexei Toropchenko accidentally punched him trying to skate for a loose puck, didn't seem malicious, though I have a few words about try-hards in meaningless games...that's a discussion for another day though.

The question being asked though is why Makar was allowed to return to the game, seeing as how he had just come back from a concussion suffered during the Pens game. And it's fair to ask that. The normally tight-lipped Jared Bednar was pretty honest though, just said they followed protocol to the letter, which begs the question of whether the NHL's current concussion protocol is strong enough.

He is guaranteed to miss the next two games (yes, ANOTHER back to back) this weekend, beyond that, who knows. He's practicing with Gabe Landeskog, so that's encouraging.

Avalanche's options for 2C are dwindling by day.
Toews - Out sick
Henrique - Hurt
Horvat - Traded
O'Reilly - Traded
Monahan - Hurt

That leaves guys like Domi (uggggghhh), Jenner (meh), and Hayes ($$$$$).

Personally I'd like to see MacFarland give Yzerman a call and see what can be done to pry Jakub Vrana loose. He might be perfect for the Avs. Off-ice issues are an obvious concern though.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 7:11 pm 

Wait, he just got his second concussion in like 11 days and he's skating already? That sounds really dumb to me. I'm no doctor, but I'd bubble wrap that guy for a few weeks if I was the Avs. They're pretty secure in their playoff spot, aren't they?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 3:29 pm 

Chris18 wrote:
Wait, he just got his second concussion in like 11 days and he's skating already? That sounds really dumb to me. I'm no doctor, but I'd bubble wrap that guy for a few weeks if I was the Avs. They're pretty secure in their playoff spot, aren't they?

Nothing is secure in the West. Top six teams (of which the Avs are not one) are separated by, like, three points. The one advantage the Avs have over every other team in their conference is games in hand.

Some players are just a little more able to bounce back from concussions than others. If it had been Byram he'd have been shut the hell down for at least a week if not longer. Cale has had concussions before, I think they just felt he was fine, admittedly the fucking play that knocked him out again was just weird.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 6:17 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

Nothing is secure in the West. Top six teams (of which the Avs are not one) are separated by, like, three points. The one advantage the Avs have over every other team in their conference is games in hand.

Some players are just a little more able to bounce back from concussions than others. If it had been Byram he'd have been shut the hell down for at least a week if not longer. Cale has had concussions before, I think they just felt he was fine, admittedly the fucking play that knocked him out again was just weird.

If he's had a few concussions, and 2 within 2 weeks, does he really bounce back quickly? Weird or not, sounds like he was cleared to play way too early. CTE is going to be a big problem for hockey for decades.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 6:59 pm 

Chris18 wrote:
If he's had a few concussions, and 2 within 2 weeks, does he really bounce back quickly? Weird or not, sounds like he was cleared to play way too early. CTE is going to be a big problem for hockey for decades.

He was perfectly fine until he just happened to get clocked in the face by a giant Russian dude, so while I think more caution would've been prudent, I can see why he played.

But yes, the long-term outlook for a lot of these guys is not good. Some of the stories that former Avs enforcer Scott Parker's wife has told about his post-hockey life is harrowing. Most days he's fine, some days he's a total wreck.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:15 pm 
King of Men

The old boss tried to get me to go the game tonight......not sure I'll ever be over the Denver jerkwads during the playoffs. Unless the ticket is free (and those aren't available after the cup win) it just isn't worth paying for anymore. My basement experience is far superior. This town has changed (and not for the better)...traffic, people, cost.......this one could be quite the dagger for the Flames. Markstrom in net to get lit up!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 7:41 pm 

harmfuljays wrote:
The old boss tried to get me to go the game tonight......not sure I'll ever be over the Denver jerkwads during the playoffs. Unless the ticket is free (and those aren't available after the cup win) it just isn't worth paying for anymore. My basement experience is far superior. This town has changed (and not for the better)...traffic, people, cost.......this one could be quite the dagger for the Flames. Markstrom in net to get lit up!

Nothing I hate more than cocky fans. Newsflash: Y’all had absolutely NOTHING to do with “your” team’s success. Nothing. Sadly that’s what happens when a team finally gets over the hump.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 8:11 pm 
Big in Japan

Jack Johnson is back!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 2:56 am 

E.L. wrote:
Jack Johnson is back!

At this point I think Andreas Englund is better but...whatever. The Avs will not win or lose the Stanley Cup because of who their 7th defenseman is.

My thinking is, they were unlikely to afford whatever raise was coming to Englund this offseason, so rather than lose him for nothing, they decided to bring back a beloved locker room figure and all-around good guy who was trusted with big minutes. At this point I'd be pretty shocked if this was not his final season, so may as well load up with a guy the team likes as some insurance depth. So long as this 2nd tour of duty does not go the same way as the 2nd tours of Patrik Nemeth and Carl Soderberg went, this should be perfectly fine. Not really a trade that affects things one way or the other.

This comes right on the heels of Kurtis MacDermid entering concussion protocol after getting socked pretty good by The Looch.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 4:14 pm 

So all in all, I'm fine with the moves that have been made. But there obviously needs to be more.

Should also note the Avs traded longtime prospect bust Shane Bowers, yet another guy the got in the Duchene trade, for goalie Keith Kinkaid. The obvious concern is whether or not Frankie is gonna be good to go by the playoffs, so this is some insurance in case he isn't (Avs have absolutely ZERO faith in current #3 Jonas Johansson, which is understandable).

Bowers...what can I say? Did he get a fair shake? I don't think so. But he also just didn't have the ability or durability to make it to the NHL. Finally got a look this year, first shift, took a hard hit and was injured. This is not the first time he's missed out on NHL opportunities because he got hurt. But the Avs clearly had no time for him after he proved he just wasn't a legit center. He and his family made it clear they weren't happy about the situation but Sakic and the Avs did not move him until now.

Between this, Kaut allegedly putting in five trade requests in five years, and Duchene, the message is clear. The Avs organization will move a guy who wants to be moved when they're damn good and ready. They will not rush things on your behalf, doesn't matter how much awkwardness and saber-rattling goes on behind the scenes.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 6:21 pm 

Chris MacFarland (who oddly looks kinda like a white Giancarlo Esposito these days) met with the press, seemed to throw some cold water on any big moves the Avs were potentially making prior to the trade deadline. I'm sure he's trying to temper expectations, but I'm also certain they're at least trying to swing a big trade or two. We'll see.

He also said there's no guarantee Gabriel Landeskog will be able to return at all this season. I suppose the good news is that if he's unable to go until the playoffs, that's not just one, but two players they can Kucherov for LTIR space. Thing is, the Avs are not exactly rolling in assets. They gave away two good defensive prospects last season, and the cupboard wasn't exactly brimming with talent even before they were dealt away. They also do not have any 2nd/3rd round picks this year or next. That means the 1st rounder is in play, but there's maybe, like, two legit prospects other teams would have a legit interest in. The rest might sweeten a deal but they wouldn't be centerpieces.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 157 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next