OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 5:19 pm 
King of Men

Just got an email from Jeremy Bresciani..you may or may not know him from the art we used in the hockey pool. I requested Avs art because I thought the Professor might win.

If not well here:
http://www.jeremybrescianiart.ca/

Hi! You once requested that I draw a Colorado Avalanche piece of art, so I'd like to show you my current project called "Superfan". I'll attach the photo reference below. I am drawing it now. In this artwork, I can make YOU the main character. If you'd like, you can send me a photo of you cheering and I will draw you instead of the fan in the image below. I can also add your family or friends to it. Please let me know if you are interested. Pricing is as follows:

12"x16" as-is (no changes): $49.99
12"x16" with you in it: $89.99
12"x16" with more people in it: additional $30/person

18"x24" as-is (no changes): $79.99
18"x24" with you in it: $119.99
18"x24" with more people in it: additional $30/person

Cheers!

Attachment:
Superfan Colorado Avalanche Concept Photo 1200.jpg
Superfan Colorado Avalanche Concept Photo 1200.jpg [ 322.15 KiB | Viewed 1012 times ]

Jeremy Bresciani
Graphite Pencil Artist
Frostbite Graphite
Licensed Artist of the Saskatchewan Roughriders
Ph: 604-347-6945
Facebook Fan Page: http://www.facebook.com/JeremyBrescianiArt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:24 pm 
Big in Japan

Avalanche sign former Bruin F Anton Blidh to a two-way deal. Two-way guy who played with Lehkonen in Frolunda, doesn't score much and takes penalties. Never really established himself in Boston.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:23 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Doesn’t score much and takes penalties. Just what every team needs! :lol:
“Hey we want to rest someone. Send out that guy who doesn’t score much and takes penalties so we’re short 2 minutes.”

Or did you mean he kills penalties? If so that’s useful and not really funny.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:17 am 
OTP Historian

Chris18 wrote:
“Hey we want to rest someone. Send out that guy who doesn’t score much and takes penalties so we’re short 2 minutes.”

The Isles had the pinnacle year of that one guy. Zenon Kenopka. He's here to fight and win faceoffs and do literally nothing else.

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdi ... ?pid=42428

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:32 am 
Big in Japan

No I meant take penalties :lol:

Gotta think the AHL club in Loveland might save a spot for U of Denver alum Brett Stapley. The Habs draft pick didn't sign and became a UFA, good role player.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:27 pm 

Bosc wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

The Isles had the pinnacle year of that one guy. Zenon Kenopka. He's here to fight and win faceoffs and do literally nothing else.

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdi ... ?pid=42428

Mostly agreed. As dumb as this will sound he brought some real leadership to the Isles. The whole Penguins brawl game was him making sure the Isles weren’t pushed around anymore. But he could have pummeled a few guys more than he did. He sat on Talbot’s chest and instead of punching him more he leaned down and spoke to him. I wish they’d brought him back.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:28 pm 

E.L. wrote:
No I meant take penalties :lol: .

Everyone has their niche! :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:13 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Well, "doesn't score much and takes penalties" pretty much describes Nicolas Aube-Kubel, which makes sense.

To his credit, NAK really cleaned up his game, because if there's one thing that'll really piss off the normally laconic Jared Bednar, it's taking a dumb penalty. He doesn't normally bench guys but if they do that, they usually miss a shift or two after their return from the box, even golden boy Tyson Jost got stapled to the bench one night because of that.

I imagine "Ain't Got Time to Blidh" will learn quickly, or he'll go the route of A.J. Greer, who inexplicably tried to start a fight with Mark Scheifele in a game where the Avs were trying to make a comeback, and he pretty much never saw the ice in an Avs uniform ever again. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:14 pm 

harmfuljays wrote:
Just got an email from Jeremy Bresciani..you may or may not know him from the art we used in the hockey pool. I requested Avs art because I thought the Professor might win.

If not well here:
http://www.jeremybrescianiart.ca/

Hi! You once requested that I draw a Colorado Avalanche piece of art, so I'd like to show you my current project called "Superfan". I'll attach the photo reference below. I am drawing it now. In this artwork, I can make YOU the main character. If you'd like, you can send me a photo of you cheering and I will draw you instead of the fan in the image below. I can also add your family or friends to it. Please let me know if you are interested. Pricing is as follows:

12"x16" as-is (no changes): $49.99
12"x16" with you in it: $89.99
12"x16" with more people in it: additional $30/person

18"x24" as-is (no changes): $79.99
18"x24" with you in it: $119.99
18"x24" with more people in it: additional $30/person

Cheers!

Attachment:
Superfan Colorado Avalanche Concept Photo 1200.jpg

Jeremy Bresciani
Graphite Pencil Artist
Frostbite Graphite
Licensed Artist of the Saskatchewan Roughriders
Ph: 604-347-6945
Facebook Fan Page: http://www.facebook.com/JeremyBrescianiArt

Thanks for the heads-up Jay, that's pretty cool! I'll have to look into it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 12:45 pm 

Avs quietly sign Evan Rodrigues to a 1-year deal worth $2 million.

Should fit in just fine. It looks like second-line-center-by-committee to start at least. E-Rod, Compher, Rantanen, and Newhook will likely all be getting looks at the position, with rookie Ben Meyers likely slotted at the third line C position, with some of those other names also getting a look there.

Is this ideal to have this much uncertainty at center for a defending champion? Not really, especially with the one note of stability at the position, Nathan MacKinnon, set to his UFA in 2023. But...sometimes this is what "going for it" means. Hopefully one of these cheaper measures will work until the deadline at least.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 3:57 pm 
Big in Japan

ERod played one game against the Habs last year where I think he had nine shots in one period. Dude can wreak havoc when he's just firing on net and letting his more talented teammates do the finishing.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 1:52 pm 

Too lazy to link to it but Nathan MacKinnon said in a recent interview that a long-term extension is fairly close, and that the number preceding the "million" part will not be in the single digits.

I'm guessing when all is said and done, he will be the highest-paid player in the NHL.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 2:49 pm 

Two things.

Avs sign Nathan MacKinnon for eight years with an AAV of $12.6 million. This, at least for now, makes him the highest-paid player in the NHL. Interesting to note, it's almost all paid in signing bonuses EXCEPT 2026-27, where most of it is paid in actual salary. I was told that's when the current CBA expires, so the Avs are just being cautious in case there's a lockout.

Avs sign Alex Galchenyuk to a PTO. Guess the Avs really like that 2012 draft (ironically they did not have a first rounder in that one, having lost it in the Varlamov trade, that of course cost them Filip Forsberg to the Washington Capitals), because both Nail Yakupov and Ryan Murray got their shot in Denver. Guess if trends continue, Griffin Reinhart will get a PTO next season.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 6:39 pm 

That’s a fucking huge contract! Good for him.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:51 am 
King of Men

Oooh I like that Evan Rodrigues signing......didn't even see that until I was looking at the list this morning.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:30 pm 

Avs play a doubleheader, drop the first one against the Wylde, then beat the Golden Blights. Goalies appeared to all do relatively well, it's always hard to gauge anything really in preseason of course.

Unfortunately, former first round pick from 2018 Martin Kaut appears to be well on his way to Bustville. A shame, he briefly showed some promise in a short stint with the big club in 2020, but since then has kinda circled the drain and done very little to warrant a full time NHL spot. A combination of injuries and a real lack of focus/confidence appear to have done him in. What weirds me out is that the Avs just really love holding onto some of these projects as long as they possibly can, to me both he and Shane Bowers should've been moved along a long time ago.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 4:13 pm 

Not a real surprise, though a bit sooner than I expected--Alex Galchenyuk released from his PTO. I really don't know if Gally's penchant for dogging it on the occasional shift is for real or not or just a narrative that Bergevin adherents like to spout off about, but if there's any truth to that and he showed a less-than-stellar effort in front of Bednar, that's definitely why he's out. The man apparently ranked as the 15th-best looking coach in the NHL according to analytics (Sutter was ranked 3rd, so, there ya go) seems pretty flexible with his top six guys, but depth forwards are expected to grind hard every shift. The only thing that lands someone in Bednar's doghouse quicker is taking a dumb penalty.

Anyway, Avs have been up and down in preseason so far, and all eyes are on former first round pick Martin Kaut. Hope he makes the team.

As for Galchenyuk, I hope he makes it somewhere and extends his career, but I feel like his NHL window has more or less closed.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:00 pm 

Oh, shit...guess it turns out, according to Bednar, that Galchenyuk got hurt and will miss a significant amount of time. That's why he was released. Says the Avs might check in with him once he's healthy.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 1:49 pm 

Brad Hunt released from his PTO, I believe that was the only other one in camp. Near as I could tell he was pretty bad in preseason.

Avs also lost Jonas Johansson (AGAIN) to waivers. This time to Arizona. A shame, that guy missed out on being on the Cup roster by mere weeks, said he was psyched about being brought back, only to have to depart again. Oh well.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:38 am 

Man, can't believe the offseason is almost over. Gotta admit I'm not dying to sit down and watch hockey right now.

Bednar says no more cuts until after the next preseason game. No idea of NCAA free agent signing Ben Meyers will make the team. Could probably do him some good to spend some time in the A. Showed he's a capable player in some regular season contests last year.

Haven't watched any preseason games, but I'm told Anton Blidh has looked decent, and former Blue Jacket Lukas Sedlak, who spent the last three seasons in the KHL, has been an abject disaster. I'm guessing Blidh makes the team as the 12/13th forward, and Sedlak gets waived/sent down.