OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 179 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 11:25 am 
King of Men

Bah....whatever that was a good goal. But the Avs made that game unnecessarily difficult and Sorokin was pretty good.

The Islanders as a team are extremely disappointing. Just when i think they are going to turn the corner and be a regular fixture they take 2 steps back. They are hockey's equivalent of playing small ball. Quite honestly I feel Barry Trotz stifles the team. Does his schtick win games? Sure, but its not sustainable and a bit antiquated in this day and age (I will say the same thing about DS here in a few years).

The best thing about attending that game was discovering that people make canned whiskey mules and Sorokin doing his stretch/pray thing during tv timeouts. Or it also could have been the Russian click bait I opened in the middle of a work function to a BBC (that doesn't seem to be an ok acronym). I don't get out much!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 8:25 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Yeah I felt that call could’ve gone either way.

Toews has been an even bigger steal than anything in the Duchene trade. I’m blown away at how complete a defenseman he is. And he’s even been struggling a little defensively of late, but still good.

Makar was weirdly bad with puck management last night. Made a couple WTF decisions, more than usual. He’s prone to the occasional defensive lapse but I didn’t love his decision making. But that’s being a bit nitpicky, he was still quite good and has now tied John-Michael Liles for longest points streak by an Avs defenseman. I get that’s an obscure as hell stat but it’s still cool to see as JML is now a regular on Avs broadcasts.

This team still needs a couple depth pieces and I’m still very iffy on Kuemper, but this is a very fun team to watch right now, for both good and bad reasons.

I’m told the Avs are the second-fastest team to 40 wins in NHL history. Forget who the first was.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 9:54 am 
King of Men

Pokecheque wrote:
JML is now a regular on Avs broadcasts.

What a gig! Drink booze from your cave and comment on the hockey game during intermissions!

We could have started this a long time ago.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 3:30 pm 

harmfuljays wrote:
What a gig! Drink booze from your cave and comment on the hockey game during intermissions!

We could have started this a long time ago.

I know right? He works from his wine cave in his posh Vail home and has a different celebratory bourbon on hand when/if the Avs win.

He froze on one broadcast because Brandon Carlo happened to call him during one of his segments. Keefe and Ryker gave him tons of shit for that. :laugh:

Anyway, Avs drop a relatively easy one to the Coyotes at home. The Coyotes have five points (2-1-1) against only ONE team this year, and it's the Avs. Go figure.

Avs weren't horrible, but they also were clearly looking past this one. Little bit of coasting and what not, power play was weak. Vejmelka was really good but as Bednar said, they didn't really challenge him too hard. It's understandable because I too am sick and fucking tired of the Avs and Yotes playing one another.

Ryan Murray is fucking horrible. Lets guys get behind him all the damned time and did so when Schmaltz walked right around him to stuff in the GWG. He might even be worse than Beauchemin was that final year in Colorado, the Year We Do Not Talke About. Avs better have a callup or trade in the works at the deadline because he has no business being on NHL ice for a contender.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 4:13 pm 
Big in Japan

Yotes beat Avalanche and Habs beat Flames last night. Whoever bet on that must have cleaned up.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 12:38 am 

Avs sweep the season series with the Isles with a 5-4 win against ol’ Varly, who was actually quite excellent despite the final score.

It was 1-1 in the third when the Avs finally opened it up with a goal from MacKinnon, then it just kept coming until it was 5-1. But then the Isles came roaring back and closed within one after pulling Varly.

Frankie was…okay. Should’ve had that last one at the very least. Avs goalies not giving me a ton of confidence going into the postseason. Neither guy can corral a rebound to save their lives and I don’t love the fact that they’re both not great at tracking the puck (neither was Grubauer).

Something to watch—Erik Johnson only played a little over ten minutes after a bad mistake on the PK in the first. Also wasn’t out there for the final minutes while the Avs tried to cling onto the lead. It’s also been noted that EJ no longer has the Alternate Captain “A” patch on his jersey anymore. It’s very likely this is his final season in Colorado (possibly in the NHL period) despite being owed one more year after this one at $6 million, but it’s pretty clear the big Condor’s NHL window is closing fast. I would hope he at least gets to stay and play for a Stanley Cup before he gets shown the door, but Sakic may have other plans in store. I’ll be shocked as all get out if he gets dealt at the deadline.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 12:40 am 

Also, Cale Makar scored twice to reach TWENTY GOALS!!!!

Hopefully the Norris voters don’t galaxy brain this. He’s the best defenseman on the planet right now. Enough already.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 2:55 pm 

Well, shit.

Sammy Girard out with ye olde LBI, heading back to Colorado to be evaluated.

Avs had some good luck with injuries of late (except with Bowen Byram) so this is a real kick in the pants. Blueline depth was an issue even before this. Now the bottom pairing could be...Ryan Murray and Kurtis MacDermid???? Oy vey.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 6:06 pm 

Avs get shut out for the first time this season, 2-0 loss to the Canes in Carolina.

Colorado is in the first actual slump of the season, dropping 4 of their last 5. I think something like this was inevitable, hopefully this also drives home the point that the Avs REALLY need some personnel changes. Not major ones, but depth is a huge problem, especially if Sammy Girard is going to be out for an extended period.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 6:54 pm 

Damn. I had NHL Tonight on the radio en route to the coffee shop, turned it down while I went through the drive-thru, and then when I turned it back on, they're talking about John Manson in Colorado. For a moment I thought they were just speculating, but no, it HAPPENED. News literally broke in the 2 minutes I took to get my coffee.

I don't love they gave up a very highly-touted prospect but this is the price one has to pay for upgrade rentals, even in a supposed buyer's market. Manson is a RH shot who can give the overworked Erik Johnson a break, and could conceivably play a 2nd pairing role alongside Sam Girard (once he returns of course). If Bo Byram by some miracle were to be ready soon, you could have him line up alongside Manson, or pair Byram and Girard together, and have Manson anchor a really good third pairing.

I'm guessing Bednar will want Manson on the 2nd pair with Jack Johnson for now, leaving the top pairing of Toews-Makar and the bottom pairing of Murray-EJ intact. Either way, plenty of options. I like the acquisition.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 4:02 pm 

Wow, Avs not resting.

Jost heads to the Wylde for Nico Sturm. Avs somehow upgrade AND clear cap space in one fell swoop.

Ah...Tyson Jost. Great human being with an even better backstory. We all were moved when his grandad, who was essentially his father figure growing up, was bawling when his name was announced in 2016. Unfortunately a great person with a great story does not mean he will develop into a great player.

Skating is 100% the issue. Not big, and not nearly fast enough, he just can't generate the separation necessary to get anything done with the puck. The play continually dies when it lands on his stick, despite his best efforts. And while he did solidify things at the 3rd line center position, he more or less rode the coattails of Valeri Nichushkin and a Joonas Donskoi on one of his most insane hot streaks. Once those two came back to Earth, he was exposed once again. Even his edge as a penalty killer was eroded this season.

So essentially you have a fairly decent--but not great--4th line forward who's probably better off at center than at wing, but gets his ass handed to him in the faceoff dot. Also loses most races to and battles for the puck. If it's not readily obvious, I've been done with the guy for about three years now. Took WAY too fucking long for the Avs to move on. Can't say he wasn't given every single solitary chance to realize his potential.

Now every single player from that now-disastrous 2016 draft is gone. Wait, no...scratch that. Defenseman Nathan Clurman (sixth round pick) is still toiling in the AHL/ECHL for them.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 3:48 pm 

God, I fucking hate Babcock and all his "disciples." Worst brand of hockey ever. Clutch, grab, slash, and clog everything up you possibly can, because the refs can't possibly call it all.

Well, the two times they did last night against the Todd McLellan-led Kings, the Avs capitalized, and then got an insurance goal via Mikko Rantanen to win 3-0 in a late, late night game in Los Angeles at Cr*pto Bro Arena that was about as exciting as a lecture on tax returns.
Understandable to a point, as the LA blueline was absolutely decimated with injuries, but I still want that brand of hockey to be ushered out like Babs was.

Anyway, new kid Josh Manson did not waste any time making friends. Hit everything in sight and I'm pretty sure I didn't see him lose a single battle for the puck. Such a welcome addition already. Made a bad read on a Kings goal, but upon challenge it was offside, so it doesn't count!

Two shutouts in a row for Darcy Kuemper.

Bednar is a good guy and a good coach--put Kurtis MacDermid in for extra minutes against his old team once the lead was fairly secured, and alongside Nathan MacKinnon and Mikko Rantanen to boot. Nearly scored a garbage-time goal himself in the closing minutes. I love it when coaches do stuff like this instead of the exact opposite (yeah, lookin' at YOU again, Babcock) because the old-school guys seem to think the only way to motivate a player is to keep him pissed off.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 4:00 pm 
King of Men

These press people laugh...but DS ain't joking!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 4:14 pm 

harmfuljays wrote:

These press people laugh...but DS ain't joking!

Putting some billboard material in the locker room of whomever the Avs face in the first round (because it sure doesn't look like it'll be them).

I think Sutter is being genuine here but I also believe he's playing some mindgames here. I can't help but admire it. That guy is getting the Jack Adams, and it'll be well-deserved.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 2:53 pm 

So...we wait. Guessing the Avs are going hard after either Claude Giroux or Andrew Copp. The 32 Thoughts crew keeps mentioning Toronto but...I just can't fathom what Dubas and Sakic would have cooking. Both teams have almost the exact same needs, and Colorado does not have a goalie to spare.

Josh Manson had a very nice debut for the Avs, loving the acquisition already.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 2:57 pm 

Friedman said in his latest 32 Thoughts blog that Helleson wasn't really keen on signing with the Avs as he'd already be behind a lot of young, talented defenders on the depth chart. I don't know how much truth there is to that, but it's possible they tried selling the Ducks on Justin Barron, who, at least based on what I've read, isn't as good a prospect, but already has logged quite a few pro games in the AHL.

Rumblings that the Avs might be up to something that no one is talking about. That would definitely be a Sakic move.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 4:21 pm 
Old Man of the Post

I really like those two acquisitions. Sets them up nicely to go toe to toe with the Phlegms in the Western Final.

Go high blocker on Markstrom.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 2:14 pm 

Joe has played it safe in past deadlines, only getting some cheap depth adds at the deadline before. Not this year, he's ALL IN. Traded picks, Tyson Jost, and his two most NHL-ready defensive prospects for Manson, Sturm, and now Artturi Lehkonen.

Lehkonen and Sturm both make a ton of sense to bolster a bottom six that has not been cutting the mustard this year. Manson obviously makes this club more playoff-ready, and eases the burden off Johnson/Johnson/Murray, who were getting caved in at even strength. Also allows for Sam Girard to have a Beukeboom-type defensive parter, who's also a RH shot. G's never had a defensive partner like this so that's huge.

Barron is a good D prospect but not really a star, there's some serious holes in his game. Kind of a big, rangy defender with a big shot and offensive skills but not great in his own zone. Kind of a poor-man's Jovo if we're making projections. I figured he was a goner at the deadline this year. Friedman said Drew Helleson was reluctant to sign with the Avs so if there's any truth to that I can see why they used him as a trade chip for Manson. Both teams win that one.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 2:14 pm 

the Cunning Linguist wrote:
I really like those two acquisitions. Sets them up nicely to go toe to toe with the Phlegms in the Western Final.

Go high blocker on Markstrom.

Unfortunately blocker side is kinda weak on Kuemper too!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 2:18 pm 

Oh, shit, Joe ain't done! Cogliano now, according to Bobby Margarita.

Dirty AF player who was very, very effective in his prime, but I like this as a depth add.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 179 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next