OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:03 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Pokecheque wrote:
Avs also sign Artem Anisimov to a PTO. Like JJ, I would be shocked as all get out if he earns himself a contract out of camp.

Do they have days with multiple pre-season games? Sometimes teams will sign guys with NHL experience for those since they have to play x amount and usually can't cover the 2 games with their normal roster.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:12 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Chris18 wrote:
Do they have days with multiple pre-season games? Sometimes teams will sign guys with NHL experience for those since they have to play x amount and usually can't cover the 2 games with their normal roster.

Well, they do have back-to-back exhibition matches on the 4th and 5th of next month, so no doubleheaders but I imagine the Avs are definitely going to use very different rosters for those two games at least. They're the first two preseason games, and IIRC those are the ones that have the most rookies and PTO guys before they start making cuts and sending kids and vets back to NCAA/juniors/minors/whatever.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:28 pm 

Newly-hired Eagles assistant Brett Clark steps down from his position because he's an anti-vaxxer bitch.

I'm glad I don't have to pretend to like him anymore. I didn't care for him much as a player.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:46 pm 

Aaaaaagggggggggggghhhhh goddammit, Altitude is now out TWO Laurens. The lovely Jbara just announced she's leaving Altitude.

I'm assuming current arena host Rachel Richlinski will get promoted.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:22 am 
King of Men

Terrible! My wife told me this news yesterday! With the broadcasting landscape changing dramatically this year I guess it won't matter that I can't watch Altitude once again this year. Goodbye Lauren!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:55 pm 

First preseason game showed some promise. Iced a B-squad against a more formidable Vegas team, fought back to tie it, but two penalties in a row ultimately sunk them. They won the shootout though!!!

Jack Johnson, who uses the cross-check like Robin Hood uses archery, took the penalty that ultimately cost them the game. If he has any hope of continuing his NHL career, he's gotta stop that shit.

He'll have another chance tonight against the Wylde in Denver at Ballz Arena.

Darcy Kuemper will make his Avs debut.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:42 pm 

Look like JMFJ is getting a contract. No idea about Anisimov.

There are worse options for 7D, but I kinda fear they will overplay him and his generally bad defense will hamper the team to start the season. Oh well, NHL clubs make signings like this all the damned time.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:56 pm 

Avs drop their latest contest against the Wylde, but it was understandable given they iced a really young lineup against a Minnesota team rolling out mostly veterans.

Prior to the game, Bednar publicly called out rookie Alex Newhook, and he responded with the Avs' lone goal. They are counting on him to play a huge role this upcoming season, and while I haven't seen him play (mostly due to utter incompetence from both Altitude and the league, you can't even stream your own fucking games, people!?) I've been told he hasn't been good so far. But it's preseason so...whatever.

Kuemper rebounded from a so-so Avs debut.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:27 pm 

Well, after missing the entire season last year, Pavel Francouz started in net against the Golden Knights last night and promptly got hurt. They say it has nothing to do with the double hip surgery he had been recovering from all this time, but he was in quite a bit of distress before the ref (who refused to stop the play, asshole) blew the whistle.

The game was a barnburner otherwise, 7-4 final in favor of the Bad Guys. Two goals from Andre Burakovsky.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:58 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Pokecheque wrote:
Well, after missing the entire season last year, Pavel Francouz started in net against the Golden Knights last night and promptly got hurt. They say it has nothing to do with the double hip surgery he had been recovering from all this time, but he was in quite a bit of distress before the ref (who refused to stop the play, asshole) blew the whistle.

That suuuuuuucks. Poor guy was probably so excited to be back.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:22 pm 

Some more cuts/waives/whatever, no real surprises. Artem Anisimov was released from his PTO, so this looks like the end of the road for his NHL career.

Sampo Ranta is still sticking around. I cannot imagine he'll make the team right out the gate but he's done enough so far to warrant one more preseason look.

Avs have gone 1-4 in the preseason, and that's fine. They've kept most of their big guns off the ice for these games, and I don't blame them one bit.

The good news is that Frankie is projected to be out for just a few weeks. Could've been far, far worse.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:07 pm 

Avs waive Jacob MacDonald, whom the Avs HF gang jokingly called "MacNorris" last season because he posted absolutely INSANE underlying stats last season. Frankly I think it's a mistake to risk losing him in favor of the broken body of Jack Johnson, but whatever, NHL franchises pull this shit all the damned time. Just gotta roll your eyes and go with it.

And yeah, the Avs made it official and signed another Johnson. I am reasonably confident dude is gonna be a disaster as he was already in postseason, but they're gonna try him out in a third pairing role, at least while Toews is out to start the season.

Avs win their last preseason contest pretty handily. Go figure, this team gets a lot better when Nathan MacKinnon is playing.

Sampo Ranta is still with the big club, which might mean he makes the roster for opening night. Stay tuned.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:03 pm 

Okay, well that's official too, Sampo Ranta just said he was told by the team that he made the opening night roster.

Big kid, good wheels, good talent, the big dig on him is the lack of hockey sense, but despite that he really developed his game in Minnesota and became a premier player at the NCAA level. Will get a 4th line spot to start and they'll go from there. Probably will be lined up alongside fellow rookie Alex Newhook.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:11 pm 
Big in Japan

Jack Johnson is so close to becoming a Cup winner I can smell it...