OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 2:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:32 pm 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

I don't fear the Habs missing the playoffs. Despite losing in OT against the Islanders and facing two opponents that give the Habs way more trouble than they rightfully should (Canes and Leafs), the Habs are still going to make the playoffs. I just really don't want to back in and finish 8th again. Finish 6th, finish 7th, finish strong. Finish strong was the motto I picked up from the team's training camp, from a quote by Brian Gionta. Relatively speaking, that's how the season has been. They are much better now than early on. But to see that truly come to fruitition, I want to see them take things into their own hands and clinch with a win. That's the character I expect from this team.

I'm not happy with the season on a number of levels. I'm still unsure about the long term viability of this group. But a strong foundation of character and hard work is something to build from. If the Habs can finish 6th or 7th, I'll give them about a 40% chance to pull of a first round upset.

Anyways, Spacek is back tonight, Bergeron is back to forward and Darche is a healthy scratch. Halak in goal, of course.

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:05 pm 
Big in Japan

I ain't watchin' this.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:09 pm 
Big in Japan

:haha:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:21 am 

A few years ago when "In Gainey We Trust" made sense, I argued we were keeping useless veterans as a band-aid - to protect and allow young players to develop. What I'm hoping right now is that our Smurfs are there to instill a sense of determination in players as they come up from Hamilton. If that was the plan (and I kinda doubt it was), then the problem squarely lies on the shoulders of Martin. It's a very dichotomous dynamic. The hard-working, determined core vs. the overly passive, timid coach. But it explains the bipolar nature of this team. One minute they're a frenzy of effort. The next, they're a bunch of scaredy squirrels. And Martin can't even be seen as a band-aid given his contract. More likely it was an over-reaction of Gainey who focused on stability in the dressing room without adequately considering what was needed (talent-wise) for this team.

Playoffs? Yep.
Winning a round? Maybe - this team can get hot.
Going deep? No way. They've never shown consistent desire/agression over a period of more than 2 weeks.

Silver lining? Boucher

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:31 am 
Big in Japan

Did you catch the game at around 2:30 left in regulation? Kirk Muller turned to Martin, clearly telling him they needed to pull the goalie at that moment as they were down by two. Martin remained absolutely stone-faced, ignored his assistant. It was something to behold.

Can you imagine this squad next season if/when Kirk takes a real job elsewhere and Martin stacks the staff with more useless yes men (sorry Perry, it's true)? Shudder to think, especially when you consider his man Goats is working the levers at Hab HQ.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:25 am 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

Playoffs or not, this season has been a failure. Under 90 points, more losses than wins, negative goal differential. No captain to blame (though Cammalleri's disappearing act is kind of like how he was post-trade deadline last year in Calgary), no injuries left to blame, no goaltending to blame.

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:21 pm 
OTP Clown

Fire Martin.