OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 7:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2022 Offseason
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2022 10:48 am 
King of Men

Well...this is shaping up to have the makings of a complete collapse in Calgary. Every year the ice under Treliving gets thinner....I swear this dude must have an anti-grav belt keeping him employed.

Johnny is probably not going to resign in Calgary.....and there are RFAs in Mange Punani and Tchachuk waiting in the wings.

If and when Jonny goes elsewhere and the Flames have nothing to show for it I would be very careful in over compensating in payment to Tkcahckuuk (send him to Ottawa for Stutzle :P ).

Something about this dude I am not sold on but I will understand the position the Flames are in.

Can LindHolm, Dube, Backstrom, Andersson, Hannafin be the likes to carry this team? Well they haven't so far but I guess there is not a much of a choice on the horizon.

As a fan this run has bothered me. Treliving hanging on for dear life with an underperforming locker room only to reach the end of the cycle with very little to show. Thems the breaks for the majority of the teams in the league.

I believe I mentioned buyouts in Monahan and Lucic but I have read elsewhere the pretty logical financial reasons for not doing so...

At the very least we shall see more Valamaki next year! It will be interesting to see what this team does when they miss the big fish.

There wasn't much at the draft to talk about as the Flames did not pick until 59, 155 and 219. None are NHL ready.

https://montrealgazette.com/sports/hock ... 022a967964

Free Agent Targets : The Flames have a lot of space to play with and they can weather the departure of Johnny Hockey if done correctly (aka avoiding the knee jerk reaction to overpay Tckachuk). I wouldn't mind seeing them take a run at some of the UFAs out of Carolina....Trocheck...Neiderieter....these boys come from a hard working team and might fit in well with DS. Also wouldn't mind them kicking the tires on Palat, Rakell or Copp.

Post subject: Re: 2022 Offseason
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 12:22 pm 
Big in Japan

Do you think Valimaki sticks around? I assumed they'd give him away for nothing for the cap savings at this point. Was curious to know if he made any headway in Stockton last year?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 12:56 pm 
King of Men

E.L. wrote:
Do you think Valimaki sticks around? I assumed they'd give him away for nothing for the cap savings at this point. Was curious to know if he made any headway in Stockton last year?

You never know with this team as they have a habit of souring prospects early on ....once Johnny leaves there is plenty of room. Lucic and Monahan come off the books next year (that's almost 12 mil right there).

Well he isn't exactly forcing the teams hand yet down in Stockton but they did have a good run. I thought that Valamaki got shafted because Zadarov had to play. You could look at it that way or you could say wow...overpaying and overplaying Zadarov was a better option than Valamaki. If Kylington (RFA who needs a contract) found a way its appropriate to give Valamaki the same leeway. I would assume Connor Mackey is ahead of Valamaki on the left side so that could also be a problem for him. Right side will need to be addressed via signing or FA.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 11:06 am 
King of Men

So in the event the lions move in for the kill on this team....and not only does Johnny depart but someone (Ottawa).....floats Matt Tkchachuk an offer sheet......do you match it?

I say no, especially if its upwards of 8.5 to 9.......but that quickly hits the reset button which may not be such a bad thing. Compensation being 2 first-round picks, A second-round pick, and a third-round pick.

Then there is Mange Punani who is also vulnerable to being picked off on an offer sheet. I really don't see that one happening but it could as the vultures circle.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 12:56 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

For once I feel kinda bad for Treliving. Sorta. Sounds like he offered Johnny Hockey a huge number to stay but it looks like he's leaving no matter what. And if he's out, chances are Tkachuk won't be far behind.

There doesn't appear to be any real foundation if those two leave.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 1:19 am 
Big in Japan

Johnny Hockey very likely gone as he heads to free agency. Treliving basically said it's a family decision, thanks and good luck.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 8:43 am 
King of Men

Well you can't cry over a dude that doesn't want to stay. I honestly can't say I blame him. He's an east coast boy stuck in Calgary.....he's carried the team for a few years now and not really been given his due. I suspected as much after that disastrous playoff run against Colorado and Calgary's typical inability to manage negative vibes with players, but you have to play the game. He went into his contract year with a workman like approach, not complaining, and it will pay off for him. I also remember that lesson, shut your mouth, bide your time....and get out of dodge!

I wish him good luck elsewhere....another obsolete jersey! Harmfuljays never leaves the team!

Anyway...turning the page we now look to the other Tkachuk to see if Ottawa has any tricks up its sleeve.

Treliving is going to be busy today even though he claims he won't be.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 12:10 pm 
King of Men

Well doesn't look like Ottawa will be an offer sheet player for Matthew.....as they pick up Giroux.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 12:35 pm 
King of Men

Tick tock Brad! Palat or bust!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 1:36 pm 
King of Men

These jokers need to sign Klingberg.......so those 2 UFC warriors can unite!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 4:50 pm 
King of Men

Eghad....Brad's presser.....sounds like someone has kicked his dog. :lol:

Here come the questions.................

Well there is a fine line between knee jerk signings and nothing at all......I can understand he was left in the lurch and caution is appropriate but while you teeter waiting on Tckachuk....everyone else disappears.

Tough spot.....and a lot of work in Treliving's immediate future! Go pound some beers, sleep it off and turn the page tomorrow!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:16 pm 
King of Men

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: The Blue Jackets......Gaudreau must have really been blowing smoke up the organizations ass! No wonder Treliving looks so butt hurt. :a2m:

And taking a pay cut to boot! (fucking embarassing)....Ouch!!!!!! :laffo: :wtf:

Good on Columbus! As a life long student of the game I also must give props to Johnny. Only show them the cards they want to see. Well played sir!

He must have disliked Canada so much with all their BS he wanted out!

But in a strange way its pretty comical. :laughcry: :laughcry: :laughcry: :lol:

Holy shit there needs to be some soul searching in Calgary going on! Can't wait to hear 960's take on this in the morning.

To make themselves feel better Calgarians and Canadians in general will say he did it for Family....which is a great blanket statement for everyone to operate behind (and works a lot better in NJ and PHI). And while I am sure there is some truth in that the rabbit hole is deeper and may never be known. :can:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 11:05 pm 
King of Men

oh yeah and Zadorov comes back for even more money..... :roll: Might as well sign Kadri who didn't want to be traded here a few years back. Bring this whole dysfunctional mess to a head and go get a new arena!

Zadorov does like to run over Gaudreau though...so at least there is that. :toot:

The train wreck isn't over in Calgary...Stay tuned! :munch: :munch:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 1:51 pm 

harmfuljays wrote:
oh yeah and Zadorov comes back for even more money..... :roll: Might as well sign Kadri who didn't want to be traded here a few years back. Bring this whole dysfunctional mess to a head and go get a new arena!

Zadorov does like to run over Gaudreau though...so at least there is that. :toot:

The train wreck isn't over in Calgary...Stay tuned! :munch: :munch:

I remember an Avs/Flames tilt when Bednar had Big Z shadowing Johnny Hockey and Johnny got bumped and mashed so many times that one shift near the end of the game, Gaudreau was attempting a zone entry, saw Zadorov in front of him, and literally STOPPED before he hit the blue line. :lol:

Big Z was wise-to re-up. And really, it's the exact same cap hit, just one more year than last season's contract, so no biggie. He had his best season ever under Sutter, though McDavid and the Oilers really exposed him in the playoffs.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 6:46 pm 
King of Men

Johnny has a press conference in Columbus and blows more smoke than a wildfire......... :zoid:

Whatever.....I'll just leave it at I don't buy what he's selling and at this point. Calgary is probably lucky they didn't throw money at him in the long run.

Regardless of if he's a weasel or just plain oblivious to life outside his bubble (as he claims), he won't be welcomed back in Calgary anytime soon with that dirty exit.

Good luck in Columbus bud, where you will play with people you can't even name but it was at the top of your list! :jerkbag: if nothing else he's got a future in politics!

Anybody need a slightly used Gaudreau Jersey?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 11:56 pm 

The Flames elect to take Tkachuk to arbitration. :aaa:

:nar:

Holy fuckin’ shit, it’s gonna burn down isn’t it?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:39 am 
King of Men

Yes it certainly is. Worst case scenario playing out up North. This move ties up the ability of another team to offer a short offer sheet.

Tkachuk needs to be traded immediately if this is the case which it probably is. Time to move on, fire Brad (or let his last year run out too!) and get someone else to try again.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/fi ... ve-flames/

Both of these guys were not born in Canada.

I wonder how much of this has to do with signing long term contracts in Canada now. I get it....Calgary is kind of tired (it used to be my favorite west city but it needs work now). Coupled with the polarizing political issues up North, the extended COVID lockdowns/restrictions (separation from family in the states) and the large taxes...it seems to me that Canada is certainly not the friendly destination it was 20 years ago.

Calgary the new Cleveland/Detroit.

Now if Tkachuk goes to Buffalo in a trade you know Calgary is the new no go of the league.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 12:35 pm 
Big in Japan

I wonder if Ottawa might make a play for the other Tkachuk?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 1:07 pm 
King of Men

E.L. wrote:
I wonder if Ottawa might make a play for the other Tkachuk?

I've always thought that would be where he wants to go to play with his brother....but then that sort of dissolves the whole Canada idea and then that just means Calgary as an organization and location sucks. :lol: Which may not be far off! :lol:

Brady has the C and makes 8.2....Matt needs to be fairly comparative so no more than 9 and if its a trade who goes the other way?

I think a bargain could be had here if your Ottawa as the Flames may be looking to hard reset and put some distance from this train wreck of an offseason. It may not even take Stutzle to make that happen.

From what I can tell Ottawa has a decent amount of Organizational depth and I wouldn't mind seeing Fermenton, Lodin, Bernard-Docker..combo in there. Leave the Americans at home this time!

https://www.capfriendly.com/depth-charts/senators

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 1:20 pm 

Wonder if the Flames WAY overplaying their hand with the new arena deal partially led to this.