OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2022 Offseason
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 1:39 pm 
King of Men

Pokecheque wrote:
Wonder if the Flames WAY overplaying their hand with the new arena deal partially led to this.

Fair point. But I never really understood the whole thing anyway.....coming down to side walks and solar panels or just principal of add-ons......

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/ ... -1.6306502

Not sure why that would have a direct hand in Players walking.......it isn't like the Flames aren't willing to pay the players.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 2:53 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

harmfuljays wrote:
Fair point. But I never really understood the whole thing anyway.....coming down to side walks and solar panels or just principal of add-ons......

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/ ... -1.6306502

Not sure why that would have a direct hand in Players walking.......it isn't like the Flames aren't willing to pay the players.

I get that, I just wonder if there's any uncertainty in the air about the Flames staying in Calgary and if that's prompting players to think about their futures there.

I'd be shocked beyond belief if Calgary lost their hockey team (though I'm still not believing that a hockey team from Minnesota relocated to Dallas, Texas), just wondering if any of that factored in.

In the end the Flames will win that particular staring contest. A shame it isn't already taken care of.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 4:30 pm 
Big in Japan

Players, even Canadians, prefer playing in the States for $$$ reasons mostly (lovely country to live in if you're wealthy), but this Calgary thing (like the Petry incident) feels specific to these players.

The Gaudreau thing was a long time coming. He wasn't exactly the most loved player in this market. Tkachuk feels like a domino effect.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 5:27 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Players, even Canadians, prefer playing in the States for $$$ reasons mostly (lovely country to live in if you're wealthy), but this Calgary thing (like the Petry incident) feels specific to these players.

The Gaudreau thing was a long time coming. He wasn't exactly the most loved player in this market. Tkachuk feels like a domino effect.

I always felt like Americans LOVED playing in Canada because they got the pay and prestige that was normally reserved for their football/basketball/baseball brethren back home. I still remember Craig Conroy getting interviewed by Altitude after he signed with the Kings and lamenting the fact that he went from Calgary where everyone knew who was, to Los Angeles, where no one knew him. Not surprising he went back and has been there ever since.

Speculation abounds that the pandemic took a toll, and I think things got pretty testy between Gaudreau and the Flames in the intervening time before Sutter showed. Geoff Ward is a good assistant coach and power play guru, but he was a disaster as a head coach. Feels like the damage was done by then.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:47 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Makes one speculate about wanting to play for Sutter as a player. I wonder how much truth there is to the Tkachuk situ. Jeremy Rutherford at The Athletic:

Quote:
Tkachuk has not officially asked for a trade, but the fact that the restricted free agent is unwilling to make a long-term commitment to Calgary would be the driving force behind the decision to move him now.

In addition to making the Flames aware that he won’t be re-signing with the organization that picked him at No. 6 in the 2016 NHL Draft, Tkachuk has supplied them with a list of teams with whom he would agree to a long-term contract, according to multiple sources. Tkachuk does have some power over where he might land, given that teams likely won't want to pay as large of a trade price for him as a rental.

One source close to the situation said that Tkachuk's list has had St. Louis, Vegas, Florida, Nashville and Dallas on it for months, though that may not be the official list he gave Calgary. New Jersey and the New York Rangers are also among the other teams that have expressed interest in the pa

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:59 pm 
Big in Japan

"The plane has flown into the goddamn mountain."

Tkachuk to St. Loo can make sense if they fit it under the cap. Kyrou, Neighbours with Tarasenko as a toss-in? Steep price, but this is a foundational player you're getting for presumably 8 years.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 10:10 am 

https://twitter.com/FlamesTalk/status/1 ... ODpmsgoAQw

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 3:25 pm 
King of Men

:)

I suppose now its all about what they get for him which is a better return than what Johnny brought.

Do we really want to leave this up to Tre-living?......I am sure Monahan is sitting back like get em guys.......I am going to collect another 6 mill and then I am gone too!

Seriously, something went really wrong in the team to player relationships........maybe they should have sent flowers to the wives like Joe or had dressing rooms catered!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 12:01 am 
Big in Japan

Speculative offers:

Kyrou, Neighbours
Bratt, Holtz

Detroit wants him too. Would Bertuzzi sign long term in Calgary and get the jab?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 11:19 pm 
Big in Japan

Holy crap Tkachuk to Florida for Huberdeau, Weegar, prospect and a 1st.

Tkachuk signs an 8 year extendo in Sunrise, while Huby and Weegar are pending UFAs in a year. Big trade on a Friday night!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 10:53 am 
King of Men

Not sure which I was more surprised with this morning....a 28-5 drubbing of the Sox by the Jays or this.

As a fan let me say I am very pleased with this return. Somehow 3 Lives manages to mitigate the damage. Need to change that last name to Cent-Vit!

I've always liked the Hubris of Huberdeau...he plays with an edge (loves to rub stitches) and can score. His numbers by themselves were equal to Tckachuk and he's a Canadian.

Mackenzie Weegar.....wow that's great! A big dude and a Right shot! Yes sir! Also a Canadian!

Cole Schwindt (another Canadian yes Calgary is learning) is also in the mix, a big young kid (21), who plays RW.

AND because we aren't done here, a lottery protected First round pick in 2025!

Bravo Treliving and company! Making the best you can out of that turd sandwich!

Now the caveat is...Hubedeau and Weegar are UFAs next year so this could potentially be a rental situation for both.

Essentially making this a Schwindt and a 1st for Tkachuk (let's not go there).....but hopefully since they are Canadians, they too have come home from shitty ass Florida (ready to be taxed heavily!) and will want to stay a while. Send those significant others flowers!

Hopefully this eases some of the angst in the fanbase and in the dressing room.

So long mouth piece chewer and conditional fourth! Page turned!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 9:33 pm 

Think this was great deal for Calgary. I'm quite frankly shocked, and even if they can't resign them, they can flip them in a trade next spring and still get good compensation in return.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 9:56 pm 
Big in Japan

Fogghorn wrote:
Think this was great deal for Calgary. I'm quite frankly shocked, and even if they can't resign them, they can flip them in a trade next spring and still get good compensation in return.

Agreed. This team wasn't ready to tear it down and now they get a one year reprieve. Huberdeau replaces Gaudreau's production and Weegar is an excellent defenceman, plus they've got extra money to play with.

If it doesn't pan out, Hubie fetches a first+ and Weegar is signable.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2022 10:53 am 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Yes Huberdeau replaces Gaudreau's production, but he is a 29-year-old approaching free agency and the Flames need to do more work up front as they still lost Johnny for nothing. They have 9 forwards and too many D now so perhaps we'll see some more deals.

The thing about trades of this nature is the chemistry. Difficult to ascertain how team chemistry will pan out given 2/3 of the Flames top line (best 5 on 5 production in the league last year) are gone.

But the Flames are in a much better position than they were a few days ago even if both acquisitions intend to walk as UFAs. At least they have bought a year to figure out how retain further value.

Apparently, the Tkachuk trade was the first ever sign and trade in NHL history.

Calgary, Florida, and Tkachuk’s camp negotiated a contract. Tkachuk then signed the deal with Calgary before a trade was made with the Panthers.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2022 11:08 am 
King of Men

And this statement sums up the difference between the 2 exits. Why Tkachuk will be respected by the fans to an extent and Johnny will not.

Quote:
“I think Tre respected me for talking to him right away about it,” said Tkachuk, who indeed drew praise from the GM earlier in the day. “I could have kept this decision close to me and gone about this a different way, whether it was signing a one-year deal and putting them in a tough spot.

“I wanted to be straight with them right away and being able to work with them made this so much easier.”

Of course its pretty easy for Tkachuk to be better.....but that's beside the point.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/tk ... he-flames/

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:01 pm 
King of Men

From the annals of the media will report every piece of bullshit.....every Canadian outlet announcing Huberdeau and Weager open to signing deals and looking forward to play for Flames... :roll:

What the hell do you expect these guys to say? Stupid..... :wookie:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:18 pm 
Big in Japan

harmfuljays wrote:
From the annals of the media will report every piece of bullshit.....every Canadian outlet announcing Huberdeau and Weager open to signing deals and looking forward to play for Flames... :roll:

What the hell do you expect these guys to say? Stupid..... :wookie:

*Dumb and Dumber voice* "So you're saying there's a chance..."

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:21 pm 
Big in Japan

Mange Punani: 3 years x 5.8M AAV
Kylington the name of: 2 x 2.5

Leaves the Flames pretty much settled with about 2M of cap space to play with:

Huberdeau-Lindholm-Toffoli
Mangiapane-Backlund-Coleman
Pelletier-Monahan-Dube
Lucic-Lewis-Rooney

Hanifin-Weegar
Kylington-Tanev
Zadorov-Andersson

Markdar

Awesome defence, they'll need Pelletier and Zary to step up.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:32 am 
King of Men

This once again leaves Valamaki out in the cold. Wonder if he gets moved before camp.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:42 am 
Big in Japan

harmfuljays wrote:
This once again leaves Valamaki out in the cold. Wonder if he gets moved before camp.

Wishful thinking perhaps, but there were rumours suggesting the Flames were looking at Montreal's excess forwards. Maybe there's a match? Valimaki just doesn't make that much and could be a good insurance policy if someone gets hurt.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next