OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 5:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:29 am 
King of Men

This team is what it is. A middle tier, maybe playoffs maybe not team.

They've got the potential so it seems but have been totally unable or unwilling to put it all together.

Somehow Treliving still has a job.....even after signing Nikita Zhadorov (thank God it wasn't long term) iiam:

Sutter is behind the bench and the Flames will try to channel 2004 in 2021. We'll see if Blake Coleman can be their Craig Conroy or Martin Gelinas. And Markstrom is indeed their Kipper.

I have no expectations for this year...which in itself is a good thing. I have to get up to the Saddledome while I can to see a game. Maybe this is the year.

The Pacific is a weaker division than the Canadian North so there is always a chance.

Look for a bounce back season in Monahan and Rasmus Andersson. Also look for Johnny to get traded at the deadline or before depending on how this goes.

Watching Glenn Gawdin and Andrew Mange-Punani grow might be the bright spots this season. Maybe this no captain ploy motivates someone to own the locker room.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:54 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

We'll see if the Suddah method of grinding the opposition into bits holds true in 2021.

Monahan says he feels a lot healthier, apparently he's been dealing with a hip issue for a while that required surgery. If he rounds into the same form he was in around 2018-19 the Flames got a chance.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:39 am 
King of Men

Well...two games in and while the team itself looks better, the goaltending and D are still porous.

We'll see how this goes (I have seen this show far too many times)...if they are still hanging around come Thanksgiving I will call it a partial win!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:14 pm 

harmfuljays wrote:
Well...two games in and while the team itself looks better, the goaltending and D are still porous.

We'll see how this goes (I have seen this show far too many times)...if they are still hanging around come Thanksgiving I will call it a partial win!

If the goaltending is porous this team is screwed beyond belief.

I'm not surprised though. Throwing big money at a marginal goaltending prospect who only started playing well at the age of 29 for parts of two seasons was going to bring with it an insane amount of risk. Still wonder why Drance kept banging the drum for the Canucks to sign Markstrom long-term and parlay Demko into some depth up front. That would NOT have been the smart play, especially for a team as cap-strapped as Jimmy's Funnies.

I gotta be honest, I really, really don't know what to make of the Flames. What is their identity? If they were gonna go full grinder, why the hell is Johnny Hockey still there?

At least they finally got the jerseys right and got rid of fucking black from their uniforms. They're not even using their previous uniform as a third jersey, thank goodness.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:30 pm 
King of Men

Pokecheque wrote:

I gotta be honest, I really, really don't know what to make of the Flames. What is their identity?

You and me both brother!

I don't think Johnny lasts the entire season..just my 2 cents.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:29 pm 
King of Men

Glenn Gawdin sent to waivers, clears and assigned to Stockton to make way for Brad Richardson.

Markstrom gets his shit together against the Wings and posts a shut out. Mange Punani scores his 2nd. Milan is beating people up. Zadorov is already replaced :lol:

Flames are at full strength....let's see what they can do.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:16 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

I thought Sutter was just going to be an experiment and after last season's debacle figured he would be gone. Does his heavy shut down grinder style work with this team construction? Not sure it does.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:40 am 
King of Men

Vladar was solid over the weekend against the caps despite blowing a 3 goal lead. Old Flames would have folded...these Flames persevered.

Impressive display against the Rangers last night. Mange Punani lit the lamp twice and is going to be that guy. One to watch this season.

Johnny picks up his 500th point (in 524 games)..... :rock:

Kylington is in and looks ok.

This is the first time I have seen fairly balanced lines...(I like Backlund, Coleman and Pitlick).....in many years. If they can roll these lines Sutter is the man to do it. Like I said I have no expectations for this team so I am curious to see how far they can take it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:53 pm 

Sutter found his Grinder du Jour line so the rest might just fall into place.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:42 am 
King of Men

MangePunani 2 more against the Devils. Like the Tanev/Kylington pairing so far. Sutter has them going!

Vladar looking like a magical pickup from Boston.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:54 am 
King of Men

Apparently the Flames are in on Eichel.....

https://www.matchsticksandgasoline.com/ ... en-knights

Not sure what would be enticing off of the Flames roster I guess one or both of Monahan and Johnny.

I look at the Minor roster and nothing jumps out at me.

Really not sure what that does for the squad this year if you take Johnny or Monahan out of the picture.

The only thing that saved the Preds last night was the goaltending of Saros.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 3:39 pm 

I'd easily give up Gaudreau (seems like he's been on his way out of Calgary for a while now anyway) and it kinda makes sense for him to go as it would plant him very close to home turf. I cannot imagine talks for Tkachuk would go anywhere. Monahan? Meh, he's so banged up anymore he might just leave to offset the salaries somehow. I'm sure a pick and prospect would also leave, probably a first and Zary. That would be quite the haul IMO if that happened.

Thing is, any team trading for Eichel likely won't get him until February at the earliest. He hasn't even had the surgery in question yet, let alone done the rehab to get back on the ice.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:09 am 
King of Men

AFTER 10

The Flames are 7-2-3 and in second place behind the Oilers in the Pacific..... :shock:

Well, its good to be on the right side before Thanksgiving.

Who the fuck is this team? :hrm: Seems to be a team that's finally bought in and found an identity, led by Daryll Sutter.

Sutter is getting the most out of this squad....he's made all the right changes and he is getting the most out of everyone for now.

Hell when you have Zadorov out of the minus side you must be doing something right!

Jakob Markstrom has 4 shutouts already

Its nice to see Kylington finally stick and contribute. A pleasant surprise there.

MangePunani has been the man to watch so far while Lindstrom continues to excel quietly.

An interesting note is Sean Monahan....he's definitely not the guy he used to be (-5).....DS knows it and he's where he belongs on this team for now. I could definitely see him moved as part of a salary dump.

The ever looming question will remain...Johnny.....he's your leading scorer (with Lindholm). You know what you get with him and he's going to get paid somewhere. Is the relationship beyond repair?

Overall a great start from this team playing Sutter modified hockey. Bravo Daryll, Channel that 2004 energy!!!!!!!! :woop:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:13 pm 

All this time I thought it was Jusso Valimaki who was supposed to be the backbone of this defense going forward in order for it to be successful. I was wrong. Oliver Kylington has emerged as The Guy.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:51 pm 
King of Men

5 Shut outs so far for Markstrom! Johnny and MangePunani are on fire!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:32 pm 
King of Men

This team is firing on all cylinders.....absolute dismantling of the Bruins last night. Vladar with the goose egg over Swayman....ouch!

Its all about this guy:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:52 am 
Big in Japan

Calgary's having a great season, but one guy who might be on the way out is Juuso Valiimaki. Injuries have mucked up his development and now he's a routine healthy scratch. Could still be packaged for some sandpaper, which feels like a thing DSut might consider.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 5:48 pm 
King of Men

After losing a few games in a row the Flames are now shutdown for COVID until 12/16. Seems to be a league wide problem right now perhaps putting the Olympics in jeopardy.

Looks like they gave it to Marchand too.....

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 6:41 pm 

I think the Prolympics are dunzo. Would've been cool as hell to see a power play with McDavid, Crosby, and MacKinnon completely dominating but alas, it's just not meant to be.

I'm guessing we're headed into another pause. The outbreak is too severe this time around.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 7:36 pm 
King of Men

18 Players in Protocol................plus Daryl and other staff omicron running wild! :shock: