(Generation III)
It is currently Thu May 16, 2024 11:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:12 pm 
King of Men

Can't touch a Flames when its RED HOT!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:17 pm 
King of Men

I haven't been this excited about this team in close to a decade. They've got heart and grit and actual concern for the game!

Yeah they'll probably Flame out by X-mas but at least the corner is finally turned.

Go Flames Go!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:20 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Advanced stats suggest that yeah, they'll probably stumble down the stretch (Joey MacDonald can't keep this up forever), but for the first time in a LONG time, the Flames actually look like they're having fun.

Don't know why more isn't being said about Bob Hartley. I've made no secret of my man-crush on the guy, glad to see he's enjoying some vindication. I thought for sure he'd be taking the fall for the organization's failures, but so far, so good.

DGB did a quick recap of the Rangers and Sabres general suckiness and the Flames surprising start.

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-trian ... rk-rangers

Quote:
And now, here are all the bad things:

• They’re proving to be really bad at this whole “tanking” thing.

Sure wish though they'd ditch those God-awful black-and-red sweaters and go full retro. Then again, probably best they wait until they're a true contender again before changing up. The turnaround could be quicker than anyone expected.

What's really sad is that Edmonton, on paper, has tons more talent, and yet is still playing a far inferior brand of hockey. :haha:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:21 pm 
King of Men

So it goes.....Sean Monahan....

If you listen to this guy they should shut him down and send him down.....

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck- ... --nhl.html

He uses some Corsi number thing that sounds like f'n spanglish to me. I don't care if he gets 16 minutes a game compared to 25. He's a part of the f'n Flames big team right now.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:27 pm 
King of Men

This team will finish near the bottom I've got no delusions but there's a different feel in the air. That feel is hope and actual rebuilding. Something to look forward to instead of Iggy's slow start, Kipper and pluggers that don't work. All the while trying to back into the playoffs by giving 65% percent.

This team's 100% is far more interesting then a bunch of farts giving half effort for the past 4-5 years. Its noticeable and well received by this fan.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:13 am 
King of Men

Time is ticking for Monahan.......Do you waste a year of his contract when you know deep down this team will finish at the bottom or do you smoke the pipe and let him play? That's a tough one. As a fan I want him to stay but the reality is he should be sent down. F*ck you yahoo guy! :twisted:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:33 pm 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

The 'wasted year' shit is something I'm not a big proponent of. If he's ready for the show he'll get better quicker by being up playing against his competition. If he goes back to junior he might only be stronger in a year, not necessarily smarter or more skilled.

I don't know what they should do as I haven't watched him and am not really invested in the situation, but I'm definitely against the grain with the conservative contract management school of thinking out there in the blogosphere. This type of thinker also didn't want Hall to spend his rookie year in the NHL and probably not MacKinnon or Jones as well. They get better quicker if they stay up, so long as that's the level of play they deserve to be at. Colorado kept O'Rielly up even though his Corsi was absolute horseshit and one of the worst on record when he was 18. By 20 he was a dominant two-way centre in the league.

Sam Gagner is the one guy that probably shouldn't have been up at 18 that was that I can think of. I guess Connolly for Tampa at 19 as well. Gagner wasn't fast enough or strong enough for the NHL. Is Monahan?

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:14 pm 

saskhab wrote:
The 'wasted year' shit is something I'm not a big proponent of. If he's ready for the show he'll get better quicker by being up playing against his competition. If he goes back to junior he might only be stronger in a year, not necessarily smarter or more skilled.

I don't know what they should do as I haven't watched him and am not really invested in the situation, but I'm definitely against the grain with the conservative contract management school of thinking out there in the blogosphere. This type of thinker also didn't want Hall to spend his rookie year in the NHL and probably not MacKinnon or Jones as well. They get better quicker if they stay up, so long as that's the level of play they deserve to be at. Colorado kept O'Rielly up even though his Corsi was absolute horseshit and one of the worst on record when he was 18. By 20 he was a dominant two-way centre in the league.

Sam Gagner is the one guy that probably shouldn't have been up at 18 that was that I can think of. I guess Connolly for Tampa at 19 as well. Gagner wasn't fast enough or strong enough for the NHL. Is Monahan?

Well Grigorenko sure as hell shouldn't have been kept up. Josh Bailey is another example. And Adam Larsson...well, it's usually just plain dumb to have a defenseman in the league at 18, though I think Seth Jones is making a good case to stay.

Hockey's Future compares him to Landeskog, in that he won't be a scoring phenom, but he has a great two-way game and he's going to be on a quicker learning curve like Landeskog was. Works for me.

This is one case where I think ya just gotta give the fans what they want.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:44 pm 

Adam Larsson was very good at 18, they just decided not to use him in the playoffs. I don't know why they don't want to use him more, when he plays, he's very good.

Gudbransson was a guy at age 19 that shouldn't have stuck, same with Ryan Johansen. There are a number of bad examples. Speed and strength are still the most important baselines to go with because usually the skill level is there otherwise (dealing with top picks, Gudbransson excluded since he just sucks).

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:18 pm 
King of Men

They can't possibly send Monahan down.......no please don't do it!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:06 pm 

No surprise--Monahan will stay.

Spector wrote this on Twitter:

Quote:
Among Flames every-day fwds, only 3 players getting less ice time than Sean Monahan (15:46). Only one Flame - Hudler - has more points.

So yeah, he's getting soft minutes, but there's still something to be said about making the most of limited ice time. And also something to be said about getting Jiri Hudler to play like he cares again.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:42 pm 
King of Men

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=434832

Awesome! Good news for the team already.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:14 pm 

Y'know what this team reminds me of? The Sharks of the late 90s. Two lines of grinders to wear the opposition down (Graves-Damphousse-Nolan, Thornton-Ricci-Sundstrom) and a speedy, skilled third to do the easy scoring (Sturm-Marleau-Selanne). Technically speaking Ricci's line was the "third" line, but I'm fairly certain they logged the most minutes under Darryl Sutter.

Glad they're keeping the kid up. Y'know, this is sports--not everything needs to be done according to a long-term plan and logic, and the fans want to see more Monahan.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:15 pm 

Av-merican wrote:
Glad they're keeping the kid up. Y'know, this is sports--not everything needs to be done according to a long-term plan and logic, and the fans want to see more Monahan.

I'm not even convinced it's illogical to keep Monahan up.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:20 pm 

saskhab wrote:
Av-merican wrote:

Ryan Lambert would disagree.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:28 pm 

Av-merican wrote:
saskhab wrote:
Av-merican wrote:

Ryan Lambert would disagree.

I know. It is probably logical to think that if Feaster, King and Burke think it's a good move to keep him up it probably isn't one. There are just a lot of people that are so anti-keeping juniors up in the NHL that they can't see the benefits even if the kid only pots 15 points the rest of the year.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:53 pm 
King of Men

F'n awesome Sasha Lakovic!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:03 pm 
King of Men

Well at least its not this anymore:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:43 pm 

harmfuljays wrote:
Well at least its not this anymore:

I actually like that, very strong message from a fan, certainly more meaningful then hammering at a keyboard.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:35 pm 
King of Men

hammering at a keyboard is certainly cheaper......even if it is pissing in the NSA ocean......I learned my lesson with the TV.

Reality sucks for Kostopolous there.