OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:56 pm 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

Av-merican wrote:
Like the Avs, it's only a mathematical formality. I can't see all of San Jose, Dallas, Los Angeles, and Phoenix tanking to the point that either Calgary or Colorado sneak in.

The Flames IMO will be better next year. A lot of dead weight will be cut from the roster and some potential stars (Baertschi) are all but assured of a roster spot. Will they be contenders? No...but they'll be a better team.

You have to admit they've had shit luck trying to develop centermen. Marc Savard was pretty much injured the whole time he was in Calgary (which of course led to the rise of the mighty Craig Conroy), Dustin Boyd sputtered his way out of the NHL, Matthew Lombardi is one more concussion away from being a former NHLer, and it sure looks like Mikael Backlund is made of balsa wood. That might be one reason why Darryl stupidly overpaid for the services of Matt Stajan. Too bad Alex Tanguay has always sucked as a center, despite the fact his skillset suggests he'd make a good one.

Cammalleri is getting the go around at centre, and I think he's less effective because of it.

Calgary can sneak in because all those Pacific Division teams play each other down the stretch and won't be that motivated to take the games to OT. Big win for Calgary last night against Dallas in regulation.

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:06 am 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Flames officially eliminated tonight.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:57 am 
King of Men

I would review this season but honestly Its no different than the past 3 or so seasons so there is little to discuss. This team is still not good and needs to improve in a variety of areas (Can we get someone that knows how to coach special teams?). The desire to win with this group has been questionable for a number of years now. It seems to be more of a collect your paycheck group that has accepted their mediocrity. Can't say as I blame them with the chaos behind the scenes.

This team was frustrating and downright tiresome to watch this year. However I thought the product was better in the 2nd half than the first. That was partially due to injuries and seeing some new blood.

I got some nice looks at Byron, Baertschi, Bouma, Brodie and Irving this year. If the Flames continue to build I think I can hang through this period. After all they certainly aren't led by Sandy McCarthy and Jeff Shantz yet.....so things could be worse. Its time for management to put down the pipe and pile up picks (oh the horror at relying on the Flames picks). This team should be getting ready for the imminent departure or breakdown of Kipper and Iginla. Without those two this team would certainly be in the Fail for Nail hunt.

I had to mention that I actually did see the Flames play the Avs this year. That's where I saw Byron doing his cool moves and the turd burgling injured players (yes you Stajan!) that were too busy playing with their phones to give autographs or even pay attention to the game. It was so memorable that I had forgotten.

Honorable mention of the season goes to Olli Jokkinen. I still don't like you Olli! However you were quietly a handful of points behind a decelerating Iginla. And you are on track to have your best year since 2007. So congrats to you :toot:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:41 pm 

Keenan weighs in. Take it for what it's worth.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2012/04/ ... yl_sutter/

Hmmmm...now Regehr and Phaneuf didn't get along? Bad news for Toronto fans if there's more fuel to the notion that Dion is a divisive presence in the locker room.

Here's something that should definitely alarm Flamers fans:

Quote:
"When I went in there to talk to (then-general manager) Darryl Sutter when he fired me, he said if you didn't have those injuries you'd be still coaching, so I said why are you firing me and he said 'I'm not firing you the owners are firing you,"

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:46 am 
King of Men

Well I don't think Keenan says anything ground breaking. Basically they need to get their house in order from the inside out. The owners need to go back to owning and allow Feaster to work. I don't think any fan will argue this team whiffed on some personnel. As a fan I am used to that with this organization.

That appears to be where they are already at this year. The past is the past. The future looks to be a clean up from the train wreck. Expect rough waters ahead! Perhaps a new Young Gun campaign!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:45 am 

I find that quote by Keenan interesting, since it really looks like King and his group switched gears. By all accounts they gave Sutter carte blanche, but it looks like that may have changed even before the Dion deal. Funny thing is, if indeed they were being intrusive, why the hell didn't they stop that trade dead in its tracks?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:01 pm 
King of Men

I think at that point the team was out of control. There were a lot of egos that were not going to be contained by a short leash coaching staff. I scratch my head at a lot of the things they have done over the past few seasons but that's what happens when your house isn't in order. D Sutter wasn't in control anymore and the owners were batting cleanup. I still don't think B Sutter is the answer but at least there is a dedicated GM now. That dual role shit doesn't work at this level.

There is a lot of work that needs to be done here. Over the years the Flames have struggled to develop talent and even when its worked out they have lacked the patience or ability to stay the course. They need to change that mindset. Its certainly going to be painful to be a fan over the next decade. All a result of some piss poor management and perhaps believing that the 2003 blueprint was still the answer after the lockout. The window of opportunity has closed for Kipper and Iggy with this club. The organization can either adapt a developing mindset and find a new cog to build around or accept mediocrity.